• Page:

TOPIC:

I rescued a KZ 15 Jan 2007 09:43 #105796

• MikeNJ
  • MikeNJ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello-
I am a new member, based in NJ. I currently ride a Honda VTX 1800 that has been somewhat modified (drag bars, pipes, other cosmetics). This year I was contemplating major mods like chrome, paint, maybe a 240 kit. But a lot of that stuff I could not do on my own, and was looking at major bucks.

On my way to work well off the road was an old bike (KZ400) in the sorryest shape you ever saw. Rust? everywhere. Dents? no extra charge. Title? none. Starts? no. But its all there. Perfect.

Now, I do not plan to do a full restoration. I do not have the time, patience or knowledge to pull this off. This is the first time in my life I am attempting such a project. My plan is to get it started, clean it (mold on the engine, birds nest in the air filter-I kid you not), and strip it down to the essentials.

Right around the same time I bought the bike one of the mags did an article on a cheap rebuild. Turns out it was a KZ also (750?). This has become my inspiration for my build. Sorry for the long intro. I have a boring office job.
Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I rescued a KZ 15 Jan 2007 10:07 #105798

• Robjb84
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Great find man, lets get some pictures of that hunk-o-junk :D

You came to the right place though, wil lbe awesome if you can get it in a rideable shape.

I rescued a KZ 15 Jan 2007 11:54 #105822

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
MikeNJ wrote:

Hello-
I am a new member, based in NJ.... ...Mike

Hey, welcome!
I think we have another member here that is Mike from New Jersey, if I remember he's got a bunch of bikes...
Anyway, take and post lots of "before" pictures. We love rust buckets. Hell, I ride a few of them... ;)
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

I rescued a KZ 15 Jan 2007 19:13 #105970

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Ive seen that magazine Mike. It was a 550 the guy bought for $100. I dont like what the guy did with the tail end but the rest of the bike looked nice. That guy said he checked on here to get info but I don't see his pics posted
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• Page: