• Page:

TOPIC:

Nubee w/ '83 KZ750H4 (LTD) 17 Dec 2006 16:18 #100168

• twowheels
  • twowheels's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all!

I'm a 35 year old Oxford Michigan resident. I've been missing streetbiking since I sold my 95 cbr600 (when my daughter was born) and before that my 93 nighthawk 750.

I've just been reintroduced to the world of streetbiking as of yesterday when I purchased a 1983 KZ750 LTD for $500. This bike reminded me of my nighthawk, but has better brakes, and a little more charactor. I've never owned a Kawasaki, bugt it seems like they have a strong following.

This bike is bone stock including those ape-hanger bars (those way have to go) with the only exception being the travelcade seat cover and some bolt-on highway pegs. It has about 13.5k miles. It started right up when I first came by to check it out and idled well on all 4 cylinders. The chrome and aluminum all looks pretty good with a few minor blemishes, and paint looks good except a few issues on the tank.

When I test rode it, it was only 30 degrees out, so i didn't expect it to run perfect. I did notice it when I gave it more than half throttle it did bog down. I figured for 500 bucks, I'll figure it out.

Today I took it out when the weather warmed to a "michigan" balmy 50. Unfortunately, same bogging issue. I tried it at different RPM's, same deal either way. When I leave the choke on, it goes to about 1/2 throttle running perfect. As I go from 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, it doesn't pull any harder as it should. The last 1/4 trottle is when it really starts to bogg down.

It's worse with the choke off. It seems like after about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle it's bogging, and nearing full throttle it really boggs down.

It's still very rideable, but it's a little more like riding a 250 than a 750.

I spoke with the previous owner to see if he had this issue when the weather was fairer. He said he never noticed in the summer, and did notice a little bogging once or twice when entering a ramp on an expressway.

What do you think? Should I wait until a nice 70 degree day before I tear into it? Any ideas of what the issue is? Any way to get into it without waiting for nice weather. I would love to just RIDE it come spring.

Anyways, enough of my babble. Very nice site! And I'm excited to be back into riding and tinkering.

Thanks!!!!
John

Post edited by: twowheels, at: 2006/12/17 20:18

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/12/17 21:01

Post edited by: twowheels, at: 2006/12/30 22:22

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nubee w/ '83 KX750 LTD 17 Dec 2006 16:22 #100169

• KZ250LTD
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

Last edit: by KZ250LTD.

Nubee w/ '83 KX750 LTD 17 Dec 2006 18:10 #100180

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Hi and welcome,

Nice bike, I hope mine can look as good someday.

You may need to go through the bike with a manual. Tune it up, adjust valves, clean carbs, clean connections. You'll get it, it's a long winter.:(
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• Page: