Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 26 Jul 2016 13:06 #736303

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2679

GPzMOD750 wrote: Since I'm waiting for another head to be pulled from the salvage yard and I got all the wiring for the fan taken care of I put the new stator in.

Funny thing, the resistance between wires was 1.5 Ω.

I put it in and measured 88-90 VAC @ approx 6000 rpm.

I plugged it into the loom and I was getting between 11.5 - 11.75 VDC at idle. I was getting about 12.25 to about 12.5 VDC and slowly climbing at 5k+. This was with the SH775, I haven't tried it with a MOSFET yet, it's actually a FH012. I looked at a bunch of them and lost track of which was which.

This is after testing a couple of stators for AC voltage without them being hooked up so I'm putting the battery charger on for awhile and see what that does. The rotor isn't supposed to be here for a few more days. :unsure:

Those voltages don't sound right. With that much AC voltage you should be charging at 14.5 VDC.

In one of your earlier responses you described connecting the Triumph harness to the oem harness. If I were you I'd do some serious double checking on all those connections. The stator must feed directly into your R/R. I think your bike may use a small jumper harness between the stator and the R/R, at least my bike does, but unless you can directly trace each wire feeding straight into the R/R I'd bypass the original wiring.

On the R1 the manual shows the R/R power out going into a junction terminal, which feeds into the fuse box and the battery both. Maybe something is going on here? I'd take the power straight to the battery and checking changing, then figure out if there may be losses elsewhere in the system. The - goes to the battery - post. I'm kind of repeating myself here to stress the importance of getting the wiring right.

See how the AC power is feeding in on the LH side and the Power is on the RH side.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Nessism.

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 26 Jul 2016 14:01 #736306

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
Wow >80vac unloaded is a lot!
That should gen at least 14vdc-15vdc ... even at plenty of current load!!
Something could be adding series resistance or something is loading the output down, like if the battery has a sulfated cell or two.... Or your voltmeter is flakey and just off calibration ! Lol
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Last edit: by missionkz.

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 26 Jul 2016 15:41 #736318

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

missionkz wrote: Wow >80vac unloaded is a lot!
That should gen at least 14vdc-15vdc ... even at plenty of current load!!
Something could be adding series resistance or something is loading the output down, like if the battery has a sulfated cell or two.... Or your voltmeter is flakey and just off calibration ! Lol

I agree. The resistance should be much less. Something wrong there too.

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 26 Jul 2016 16:25 #736319

• GPzMOD750
  • GPzMOD750's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
I went out and made some new leads from the stator to the triumph loom. I'm now getting 12.24v at idle and at about 6k the voltage rose to about 13.5v and was slowly rising past 13.6v when I shut her down. It's hotter than hell here and I didn't have a fan set up.

I went to hook up the FH012 and the mounting screw under the battery just kept spinning.. Jeez! can anything else go wrong? so i got the SH775 spun around and got the out plug disconnected. I hooked that to the FH and just ran the stator leads straight to the in blades. I got about the same results except the slow increase started a bit lower, 13.25v, It got to about 13.35 before I shut it down.

My bike looks like a spaghetti bowl was dumped on top of it with all the loose wires everywhere. I guess I'll have to pull the battery so I can fix the R/R mounting bolt situation.

My readings are on my digital self ranging multimeter and the onboard V-meter seems to show roughly the same readings considering it only has marks at 10, 12, 14 & 16v.

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 26 Jul 2016 18:48 #736337

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
So you only briefly ran up to high rpm? Maybe the R/R is looking for a more substantial signal before it ramps the voltage higher. I think it takes a little run time before the R/R pours on the coals. Hope so anyway for your sake. You've been through enough on this issue to try any man's patients.

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 27 Jul 2016 05:24 #736359

• GPzMOD750
  • User

Nessism wrote: So you only briefly ran up to high rpm? Maybe the R/R is looking for a more substantial signal before it ramps the voltage higher. I think it takes a little run time before the R/R pours on the coals. Hope so anyway for your sake. You've been through enough on this issue to try any man's patients.

I ran it at 5-6k for about 30 sec to a min on each R/R. Since the voltage was creeping up I'm thinking they do kind of find a spot slowly.

I would have run it a bit longer but it's been really hot, north of 100 for days. My garage is a wreck since I'm working on the Jeep and other things and I didn't have the fan setup in front of the engine. Besides, running the engine at high revs stationary just plain freaks me out. I'll ride it for a bit as is and see what happens, If it still isn't charging well I'll put in the rotor everything is literally new except the R/Rs now including all wiring involving charging..

Now i have to route and trim those new wires, Figure out what's going on with the R/R mount screw and put everything back together around everything else I have going on...

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 27 Jul 2016 17:42 #736433

• GPzMOD750
  • User
I cleaned up my wiring and got the R/R off the bottom of the battery tray. WHAT A PIA!!! The bolt had stripped only where it was in the nut and wouldn't tighten or loosen. I had to pull the tray completely out and use a whole bag of tricks to get the damned thing out.

By the time I got the R/R off I realized I could mount it where the reserve lighting unit used to be. it was still easier said than done. I had to bend it down so i could get a socket on the one bolt to mount it then bend it back up afterwords due to the frame tube being in the way.

I am VERY glad I put the 20A breaker on the hot wire. I was rewrapping everything after routing the wires and it started tripping. I thought it might be grounding through the mounting screw but kept doing it after I removed it. It turns out the individual female spade hot and ground connectors I was using on the Triumph plug were slightly loose and touching when I wrapped them up with silicone wrap. I wrapped the 2 ground connectors individually with silicone before I plugged them back in and wrapped the whole thing back up again.

It'll probably be a few days before I get to do anything else but I'll keep you posted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LesbianSeagull

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 08 Aug 2016 10:53 #737850

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
Any update?

Re:RE: I think I need a new voltage regulator. 08 Aug 2016 13:05 #737865

• GPzMOD750
  • User

Nessism wrote: Any update?

Not yet, I ordered the the recommended M18x1.50 removal tool and turns out I need the M16x1.50. :mad:

The correct one is supposed to be here by tonight but I doubt I'll have time. It's the kid's 20th birthday.

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 09 Aug 2016 18:54 #738049

• GPzMOD750
  • User
Alright. I got the new rotor in...

I couldn't get an AC reading at idle. It was overloading my multimeter. I plugged everything in and I was getting an even 12v at 1k. I revved her up and to get a slow climb from 12.5 ?????? I had it so high the oil pressure pushed my clutch rod out and dumped oil all over the floor.

I don't get it. It seems to be running good but it just doesn't want to charge the way I expect it to. EVERYTHING in the charging system is new except the used SH775 this includes absolutely all the wiring from stator to battery on both sides.

I guess I'll ride it for a while and see what happens.

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 09 Aug 2016 20:24 #738076

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
Just to make me happy, with the engine running at medium idle speed, what does one of your cars or trucks read at the battery posts with same DV meter?
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Re:RE: I think I need a new voltage regulator. 10 Aug 2016 10:20 #738132

• GPzMOD750
  • User

missionkz wrote: Just to make me happy, with the engine running at medium idle speed, what does one of your cars or trucks read at the battery posts with same DV meter?

Good point I'll do it when I get a chance.

I don't think my meter's bad because it agrees with the onboard meter. I ordered a new one off Amazon anyway, what the hell, they're only $20.

The only other thing it could possibly be is the battery. It was new in April but it happens.