Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

carb issues? 12 Mar 2015 17:25 #664253

• Zephyrrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 50
SKK your tensioner is same as mine - good trick to know - sometimes they get a little sticky and sound like shit - have heard worse - your hearing must be better than mine Steve.
Remove the 17 mm cap bolt - should be a washer under it - be careful soft shit.Will be a push rod and a spring inside - the rod may be hard to pull out so just use a long pair of pliers - shouldnt be worn too much as it has only done 18,000 miles.Pull out rod and spring and check them out - maybe take a pic and post. If all looks fine wearwise coat rod finely in molybdenum disulfide grease and reassemble - push rod can only go back in in the one spot with wedged end so just feel to make sure - be careful to line up cap perfectly with thread - a little pressure required but not too much.I use the 17 mm with 12 cm extension - just make sure that cap takes on the thread spot on - dont force it until you are sure it is lined up.. Tighten but be careful - mine is only 7 ft/lb so just firm - you will feel it.
DONT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE BUT THE CAP, WASHER , SPRING AND PUSH ROD.
You can reset the whole tensioner but try this first as you really need carbs out again to do that and it is a pain in ass pulling them out all the time as you know mate :)
Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

carb issues? 12 Mar 2015 17:30 #664255

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435

83KZ750LTD wrote: I have the same bike as you and I had a ticking sound on the right side after I rode for a while. I found that the noise was actually an exhaust leak. I replaced the copper gaskets and reinstalled the pipes and the noise went away. I also get the same low idle chugging which makes rattling like the timing chain is slapping.

+1 on the ticking.
These old air cooled engines can seem quite noisy. The crankcase rattles a bit at idle and can sound like a bag of hammers if carbs are out of sync - all due to the primary chain and nothing to worry about.
I find it hard to tell from a video if a sound is abnormal and impossible to know where a particular sound might be coming from but all in all I thought your bike sounded pretty good.
PS adjusting the cam chain if necessary is pretty easy
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Last edit: by JR.

carb issues? 12 Mar 2015 17:37 #664256

• Zephyrrider
  • User
Spot on JR - perfect as possible sync makes a huge difference noise wise - thankfully mine stays in sync for a long time although i do check it every now and then for peace of mind. Old style Kwaka motors will never sound as quiet as a watercooled CBR 600 but you cant kill em :)
Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

carb issues? 12 Mar 2015 17:49 #664258

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2632
You can take a piece of broom stick or long screw driver, hold it next to your ear and locate the noise. Too soon for piston slap so primary chain is my bet.
Steve

carb issues? 12 Mar 2015 22:29 #664282

• Zephyrrider
  • User
Yer Steve i couldn't hear any cam chain noise - i didnt think it would be possible to do the sync properly with a 2 x Carb Tune - still reckon you should try and get a 4 somehow - beg, borrow or buy as last resort but something you will have for life really - over here the Car Tune Pro cost me $180 - reckon you would probably do a hell of lot better than that - they are made in Belfast aren't they.Get those exhaust gaskets for a start.Bike shops are expensive though - got 4 sets for price of 1 (stealership price ) from somewhere in UK - ebay.
Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

carb issues? 13 Mar 2015 07:27 #664312

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I got my carb styx for under $50 in the 80's. Will last a life time if taken care of. Mercury is hard to come by these days. :unsure: Well worth the investment. With two, you're only guessing.
Steve

carb issues? 13 Mar 2015 07:36 #664314

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Just checked eBay and Motion Pro has some nice ones for $89 and there are doubles for $49 to make up a complete set or some gauge style for $50.
Steve

carb issues? 13 Mar 2015 07:44 #664316

• Special KK
  • Special KK's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Ok that's cool I will try to get hold of a proper four cylinder set and redo them.
If those copper exhaust gaskets werent sealing would I not see or feel exhaust leakage around the downpipe to manifold area? There doesn't appear to be anything blowing out around there.
So from what you've all said do you think that the noises are normal then?

ZR thanks for that tip on the cam chain tensioner bolt I'll give that a go.
2008 Aprilia Shiver SL750
1983 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD H4 Four cylinder
Previous bikes:
1999 Honda CBR 600 fx
1992 Kawasaki Zephyr 550b
1990 Honda CG 125

"All work and no play makes jack a dull boy"

carb issues? 13 Mar 2015 10:26 #664329

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
A minor leak can sound like ticking.
Steve

carb issues? 13 Mar 2015 15:53 #664352

• Zephyrrider
  • User
Steve thats what i figured with the 2 gauges on a 4 - just never seen anyone trying it.
Those round gauge ones are a pain in the rear SKK - have tried them all and the Carb Tune stainless rods were easiest for me to use anyway.
Mate i would get some new exhaust gaskets.
Try the gaskets first as your cam chain sounds ok - only do that if you suspect it is not right and as i said be careful.
As for the primary nothing you can do about that - may sound worse if carbs are not spot on though.
Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

carb issues? 13 Mar 2015 16:35 #664353

• Special KK
  • Special KK's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Yeah I wouldn't get those gauge types a mate had them and they were proper shite, I will get a set of the Morgan carb tune 4's. 60quid Worth the investment I think, can sell a few old bike bits i got knocking around to fund it :)
Will do the seals next and see how the bike runs and sounds after that.
2008 Aprilia Shiver SL750
1983 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD H4 Four cylinder
Previous bikes:
1999 Honda CBR 600 fx
1992 Kawasaki Zephyr 550b
1990 Honda CG 125

"All work and no play makes jack a dull boy"

carb issues? 13 Mar 2015 19:06 #664363

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Good man. B)
Steve