Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ oil cap tether 06 Aug 2013 23:47 #600193

• kaw-a-holic
  • kaw-a-holic's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
Hey gang! So on the way home from Wyoming(60 miles from home) with the flag I stopped to fuel and add a little oil and went on my merry way. Fifteen to twenty minutes later my foot slips off the peg, I look done and you guessed it I'm missing an oil cap. Cap was gone, boot, jeans and the entire side of my bike are covered in oil. Dangerous! No rear brake And tire covered in oil. Between the boots, jeans oil cap and a quart of oil I'm out about $170. Now I'm pretty sure I put the oil cap on I remember checking it before I left the gas station. Most I can figure is the o-ring dropped off(it has happened before) and the vibration spun the cap loose; the rest is history. I know I'm not alone here as this happened to Saxjohn on the way to meet me in Wyoming.

Here is my solution. A tethered oil cap, never to be lost again.

materials used:
1- 9" stainless steel nylon coated leader

1- #6 Stainless steel split ring

Step 1- Drill hole in oil cap i used 5/32" bit

Step 2- Connect split ring to swivel end of leader

Step 3- Find someplace to tether to(this will determine tether length)

Step 4- Run the swivel end back through the pre-fashioned loop.

Step 5- Connect split ring to oil cap

Finished

Hope this helps. Enjoy!
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forrest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by kaw-a-holic.

KZ oil cap tether 06 Aug 2013 23:56 #600194

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178
Great idea! So Relieved that you did not go down from the oil.

AND.....What a crazy coincidence! As you may recall, this is the very thing that happened to SaxJonz on our way into Jackson, WY to meet YOU!

Remember This?!

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Attachments:

KZ oil cap tether 07 Aug 2013 00:00 #600198

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Very innovative! :cheer:

Good Fortune!
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

KZ oil cap tether 07 Aug 2013 00:03 #600199

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 236
Good idea, but if the cap came off it was either not installed or if it was was never tightened. The cap will never vibrate off. Impossible.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

KZ oil cap tether 07 Aug 2013 00:07 #600200

• kaw-a-holic
  • kaw-a-holic's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248

Forrest wrote: Great idea! So Relieved that you did not go down from the oil.

AND.....What a crazy coincidence! As you may recall, this is the very thing that happened to SaxJonz on our way into Jackson, WY to meet YOU!

Remember This?!

Yes I had to laugh when it happened to me. I figured two guys with in 48 hours it must be a some what common issue.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

KZ oil cap tether 07 Aug 2013 00:13 #600202

• RonKZ650
  • User
Not a common thing. In 35yrs now I've heard of it twice, and these are the only two times ever that I know of, both I've read about here tonight. Trust me, you did not install the cap. Like anything check, recheck then check again before hitting the road after doing anything.

KZ oil cap tether 07 Aug 2013 00:15 #600203

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
I carry a 4" crescent in my pocket. I use it to open beer :P and tighten my oil cap.

With that stainless leader, you must be doing some Pike fishing up there. ;) ;)
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Last edit: by Motor Head.

KZ oil cap tether 07 Aug 2013 00:25 #600205

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
Yes Ron, impossible to come off if tightened on. However, in these two cases within 24 hours of each other two caps were not put on or at least not tightened. Distractions, and brain farts can happen. AND, Yes they can have dangerous consequences. I give credit to Jon for a very practical and innovative solution.

As an example, I disconnected my kickstand kill switch on my ZRX1200R so I could use the circuit for a tip over engine kill switch. After the second time forgetting to put my kickstand up and going hard into a left corner and almost crashing out, I found a solution and was able to wire both the kickstand kill switch as well as the tip over engine kill switch.

KZ oil cap tether 07 Aug 2013 00:43 #600213

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck

RonKZ650 wrote: Not a common thing. In 35yrs now I've heard of it twice, and these are the only two times ever that I know of, both I've read about here tonight. Trust me, you did not install the cap. Like anything check, recheck then check again before hitting the road after doing anything.

Yeah Ron, They get it. I was on this ride and experienced the situation first hand with SaxJonz. Maybe I distracted Lawrence long enough he forgot to put his oil fill cap back on his ZRX. Maybe he should have double checked and ultimately was responsible for his ride. My only thoughts at the time were not to criticize Lawrence but genuine concern for his life and safety. I also met and saw what a responsible common sense man Kaw-a-holic is. Distractions happen and mistakes can be costly dollar wise for cagers but can be deadly for motorcyclists. You think anyone of us who rides responsibly has their heads up their asses all the time? I give Jon a lot of credit AND respect for posting up his situation and an innovative way to address it therefore avoiding any possibility of it ever happening again. Again, my main concern here is for Jon's life and safety. Now cut them some slack. :angry:

KZ oil cap tether 07 Aug 2013 00:57 #600215

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Beats me why all side stands aren't equipped with the rubber extension (used by Honda) designed to disengage a deployed stand while riding instead of allowing it to pole vault the bike.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

KZ oil cap tether 07 Aug 2013 01:08 #600219

• RonKZ650
  • User

Patton wrote: Beats me why all side stands aren't equipped with the rubber extension (used by Honda) designed to disengage a deployed stand while riding instead of allowing it to pole vault the bike.

Good Fortune! :)

Is that what that rubber does? Thanks for that info, as I've been wondering for 40yrs nearly. :)

KZ oil cap tether 07 Aug 2013 01:20 #600221

• RonKZ650
  • User

Forrest wrote: Yes Ron, impossible to come off if tightened on. However, in these two cases within 24 hours of each other two caps were not put on or at least not tightened. Distractions, and brain farts can happen. AND, Yes they can have dangerous consequences. I give credit to Jon for a very practical and innovative solution.

As an example, I disconnected my kickstand kill switch on my ZRX1200R so I could use the circuit for a tip over engine kill switch. After the second time forgetting to put my kickstand up and going hard into a left corner and almost crashing out, I found a solution and was able to wire both the kickstand kill switch as well as the tip over engine kill switch.

Only problem here is the tether will do zilch to fix this problem other than the fact you won't lose the cap if you forget to install and tighten it. A cap hung by a tether flopping around beside the engine will still leak oil I'd wager.