Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ oil cap tether 12 Aug 2013 01:09 #600961

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
  • Thank you received: 75
Like underneath the carbs? Exactly where I put mine both times. Ah well. I will not be making that mistake ever again. Just have to remember when taking care of business to not let anyone or anything be a distraction. I was never so mad at myself for that stupid action that could have caused me to crash out.

kzz1king wrote: You don't need a tether. Just set it on the flat part of the motor there and when you feel your leg getting soaked in oil you stop and put it on :silly: Yep, been there done that.
Wayne

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ oil cap tether 12 Aug 2013 03:47 #600969

• koolaid_kid
  • User
  • Thank you received: 99

saxjonz wrote: I think it's fairly normal that bikes burn oil when they go on long trips if ridden hard. I was doing a buck fifty for a bit going down the road. As far as people getting distracted when doing these kinds of things it happens to everyone unless you are a perfect human being and never ever make mistakes. I am not in the least bit concerned. As for only taking off the cap when you change the oil, well that at some point in time is not going to work for you and when you happen to ride a 1000 miles in one day and don't check your oil and then get up and ride some more then...

koolaid_kid wrote:

crh wrote: If it needed a wrench to tighten it, the factory would have made it a hex nut style cap...... God gave you a thumb and forefinger for a reason....

LOL. I use the window to check oil level, and only remove the cap when I am changing the oil, which is always in my garage. Why else would you remove the cap? If your bike uses more than a quart every 3000 miles then your bike has issues.

Please. Lighten up. If you read another of my posts, I carry a quart with me all the time, and I check it all the time. You'd be silly if you did not.
I ride all over the country; West Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Wisconsin, etc. And I carry oil with me everywhere. I only do the ton so I don't know what it would do if I went faster.
1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

KZ oil cap tether 12 Aug 2013 17:06 #601047

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
  • Thank you received: 75
I wasn't taking offense to your comment so no need for me to lighten up. Let's not overthink this. If my bike burns oil, it burns oil. Is what it is. I have over 30,000 miles on my bike now and I am like you then as I have the summer free and I take long rides on my bike, bike had 7k on it two years ago. I change the oil and use motorcycle oil. If anything, I just noticed it used a little, didn't want to run it a half quart low so I put some in, got distracted and forgot to put it back on in the heat of battle. It happened. End of story. It won't happen again, that I am going to make sure of.
79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

KZ oil cap tether 12 Aug 2013 20:52 #601076

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 432
My red oil cap came with a hole in it when I bought it on ebay a few years back. Good idea I thought so I ran a guitar string through the hole and the brass thingy in the end of the string is bigger than the hole in the cap. I put the other end of the string through the bottom right grommet for the side cover.

I do like the fishing gear with swivel approach though. Thanks for posting kaw-a-holic
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: kaw-a-holic

Last edit: by JR.

KZ oil cap tether 13 Aug 2013 01:17 #601168

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
  • Thank you received: 52

kaw-a-holic wrote: All was trying to do was help a fellow KZ rider but apparently I'm the only one that has ever lost a cap so I'm just going to delete the thred.

If no one ever lost a cap, track operators wouldn't insist on safety wiring them. Also the oil drain plug and filter cover is safety wired on my bike. I did that when I overhauled it anticipating a track day in the future.

The tether will certainly keep your cap with the bike should you have another brain fart (the older you get,the more frequent they become) but it wont keep it on and you'll waterproof your boot and pants again.
'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock
The following user(s) said Thank You: saxjonz, kaw-a-holic