Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

EV's 30 Sep 2022 10:15 #874848

• ckahleer
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 140
I have no idea how EVs will work for low income, self dependent people,
I raised a family with a well below average income. I did it by being cheap. The most I have ever paid for a car is $5,600.00, most in the $2,000 to $4,000 range. Pick up a 10 year old car and drive it another 10 years. I didn't pay over $1,000 for any of my motorcycles. If I want to be into motorcycling, I got to do it on the cheap. How does this work with an EV that needs a $20,000 battery every 8 years? Can a shade tree mechanic change it himself? The well off and middle income people can debate the pros and cons of EVs, but where do the lower income people fit in?
94 KE100
81 CM200t
82 KZ305
85 VT 500c
85 VF1100c
The topic has been locked.

EV's 30 Sep 2022 10:51 #874849

• Move0ver
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56

I'm fairly certain the same thing was said when during the transition from horses to cars
The following user(s) said Thank You: kzstreetfighter71

EV's 30 Sep 2022 11:34 #874851

• SWest
  • SWest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2642

I'm fairly certain the same thing was said when during the transition from horses to cars

Henry Ford came up with the answer but I think those days are gone forever. Short answer is no. Look up agenda 2021/30 on duckduckgo and you'll get the answers.
Steve . 

EV's 30 Sep 2022 11:43 #874853

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1881

I raised a family with a well below average income. I did it by being cheap. The most I have ever paid for a car is $5,600.00, most in the $2,000 to $4,000 range. Pick up a 10 year old car and drive it another 10 years. I didn't pay over $1,000 for any of my motorcycles. If I want to be into motorcycling, I got to do it on the cheap. How does this work with an EV that needs a $20,000 battery every 8 years? Can a shade tree mechanic change it himself? The well off and middle income people can debate the pros and cons of EVs, but where do the lower income people fit in?
Non franchise repair shops are already putting techs through EV training. As a DIY job it is seriously questionable as you are dealing with 418v DC "WHICH WILL KILL YOU" dealer techs go through significant training and safety protocols. I know I have been quite vocal on this topic but if you are running the type of vehicles you mention you are probably 30 years away from having to go electric (not sure what fuel prices and availability will be by then) by which time it will be the norm which hopefully will be reflected in the repair price ! " remember how much the first LCD watches and VHS video players where ( they were also reserved for the privileged when introduced)

EV's 30 Sep 2022 14:02 #874857

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Craig sold his early prius for $2500 after he paid the same for used batteries. It was a Hybrid so the motor would kick in and charge it while moving. He just sold the truck and bought a new one. That one males sense to me and they're pretty quick as I found out while climbing a grade against a head wind. It walked on me. 
Steve 

EV's 30 Sep 2022 15:02 #874860

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1041

The well off and middle income people can debate the pros and cons of EVs, but where do the lower income people fit in?
Electric bicycle?
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

EV's 30 Sep 2022 15:02 #874861

• ckahleer
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 140

No, this is different. This is being government mandated. And when government gets in the act, things get very expensive.
Don't get me wrong. I'm all for EVs. I believe they are the future for personal transportation. Just let it evolve naturally. They will gradulaly be getting better, and more people will want to buy one. Let this be driven by the desire of the customer and the greed of the capitalist. Not government mandates
94 KE100
81 CM200t
82 KZ305
85 VT 500c
85 VF1100c
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, Mikaw

EV's 30 Sep 2022 18:20 #874866

• Kelly E
  • User
  • Never Give Up. Never Surrender
  • Thank you received: 313
My issue is that the loud voices all seem to come from a suburban point of view. Those of us that live in a rural area get squashed when we voice our opinion that full EV doesn't work for us. We have a Ford Fusion hybrid and it is the best overall choice at the moment because my wife commutes at least 80 miles a day.  Here in Washington hydropower is plentiful and there's plenty of full EV cars running around. But when you drive further, haul and tow heavy loads, have to use the heater, the defrost, the wipers and the lights let alone crank the tunes full EV doesn't cut it. Our governor has put in place the 2035 all electric mandate, no public vote. Strictly a suburban view point being rammed down our throats. And they wonder why people are so pissed off.
The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda Sabre 700
1984 Honda Interceptor 1000
1994 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
And more

EV's 30 Sep 2022 18:45 #874867

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Same here and we will overturn it. 
Steve

EV's 30 Sep 2022 19:03 #874868

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1041

No, this is different. This is being government mandated. And when government gets in the act, things get very expensive.
Don't get me wrong. I'm all for EVs. I believe they are the future for personal transportation. Just let it evolve naturally. They will gradulaly be getting better, and more people will want to buy one. Let this be driven by the desire of the customer and the greed of the capitalist. Not government mandates
I would agree, as long as we had the time.  But we've used up pretty much all of the transition time. 

That said, there are still some significant problems with EV's.  They don't have enough range yet.  If you buy one with a 500k range you can really only get 300k because you are not supposed to let the charge go above 80% or below 20%.  Add to that the lack of fast chargers, and that makes EV's poorly suited to long distance travel.  Here in Canada our cities are few and far between.  A PHEV would be a reasonable alternative, and that would be my preferred choice (RAV4) if I could find one with about 150k of battery range so that I could travel back and forth to my nearest city, about 55k from home.  I probably only have another 15 years of driving left, so my next vehicle will be my last.  I think I'll wait a couple of years and see what happens to battery technology.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

EV's 30 Sep 2022 19:40 #874869

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 517

SWest post=874844Anything can be made to seem political by twisting the words/meanings to suit an agenda. 
Case in point.  www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/61...-ev-s?start=0#874270

Steve, wait, what?  Are you saying that I was the one who made this thread political?  I honestly don't understand.  I posted a quote and link to Wikipedia, and then some other links related to EVs.   And then I went on to actually discuss the topic at hand.

Your response was to laugh at me, and then post a photo of a meme about Obama, a twice-former president.  You also made a bunch of snarky comments that failed to actually address the issues and may have included some personal slights aimed at other members.

Let me first say that you and I both have been posting here for a long time.  You have offered me help and support over the years, and I try to do the same.  I respect you and all of the many folks here who support this community.

I am not accusing you of anything, because I honestly have no idea what you're going for,   But some of your responses in this thread read a lot like trolling, and others seems to have gotten the same impression.  I find that very strange, since you are a long time supporter and moderator of this site.  Why would you troll the community that you have spent so much time helping to support and build?  And since the idea of trolling seems unlikely, what are you going for?  

I'll also note something about politics on KzRider.  We are worldwide community based around a narrow subset of 50 year old motorcycles.  There is no reason to expect that people who enjoy this niche hobby will all share American conservative viewpoints.  Political discussions are probably something we should try to avoid.
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

EV's 30 Sep 2022 20:03 #874870

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I'm not trolling anyone. I posted the link to show how it started to go sideways and others joined in. I wasn't singling you out. EV's have become a hot topic with many different connotations and some I won't bring uo here. I will say it's too early to count on them and mandates are just wrong. 
Steve