Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

aluminum cleaning. 01 May 2006 21:12 #44342

• oleskool
  • oleskool's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
hi guy,s Having been given a 1980 440 ltd with 6700 original miles, I find myself with yet another project. ( but this one may yet prove to be the most enjoyable when completed). As the seat and tank are the major items to be replaced, I was wondering if anyone had any idea on the cleaning of the aluminum engine parts. (cases, cylinders , ect,ect)... there is no major pitting, just the layer of surface corrosion that comes with sitting up for a number of years. Any and all replies will be appreciated. Thanks Chris..( pictures will be forthcoming.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

aluminum cleaning. 01 May 2006 21:19 #44344

• wireman
  • Visitor
high pressure car wash will blow a lot off,then just start rubbing and rubbing !i like mothers aluminum polish myself .im in the middle of filing and blocksanding a motor scattered across my kitchen table i havent gotten to the polishing stage yet.:S

aluminum cleaning. 01 May 2006 21:30 #44349

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
I've said it before and I'll say it again..."Scotchbrite"...it works awesome for getting in between the cooling fins and it's slightly abrasive,so it'll shine the parts nicely.You can use a lot of different cleaners with it,or You can use a metal polish.
Seriously...it works great!B)

In case You don't know what it is...

www.autobodydepot.net/scripts/depot.exe?pgm=3m101-9.bbx
1977 KZ1000 A-1

aluminum cleaning. 01 May 2006 23:01 #44365

• dkmk
  • User
  • Thank you received: 18
Scotchbrite pads do work well, but someone correct me if I am wrong, there are different "weaves or grains" (for lack of the proper term, similar to grades of sandpaper for example). I tried a "coarser" pad on the exhaust with some Autosol in a inconspicuous area, and found that it actually dulled the chrome slightly, but works good on the aluminum. Just a heads-up. B)

Post edited by: dkmk, at: 2006/05/02 02:02
Northern Ontario
Zapp: "Kif, I'm feeling the Captain's Itch."
Kif: "I'll get the powder, sir."

aluminum cleaning. 02 May 2006 06:56 #44422

• rammy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
YES by all means keep scotch brite away from already polished areas as it will scratch/dull the finish that has been done already. I have had really good luck with miguires all metal polish or never dull. But every one has there favorites
The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

aluminum cleaning. 02 May 2006 07:06 #44425

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
Check out rstor003's KZ900 in the Gallery. It's the latest pic in the KZ900 Gallery, I just saw it this morning. I can't tell if it's chromed, but it it's not, then Holy cow, this guy knows how to polish aluminum.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

aluminum cleaning. 02 May 2006 07:26 #44429

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Ya,for sure don't use any abrasive pads on chrome.
The burgundy pads are what I've been using over the years(I buy them by the box,cause They get used around here on a lot of stuff,and not just bike-related projects).
Auto-sol works good on the aluminum(and it's less expensive than some other metal cleaners)and I also use it on chrome.I have "Mothers" cream as well,but THAT stuff aint cheap!!:ohmy:
1977 KZ1000 A-1

aluminum cleaning. 02 May 2006 08:33 #44452

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
If you've got a well-ventilated work area (like outside, maybe?) and like the aroma of solvents, most local Whatzit Stores carry cans of brake cleaner for about $2. A few cans of that and a collection of *SOFT* wire brushes will do utterly amazing things to accumilated crud, oil stains and aluminum oxides.

The small round-type *SOFT* wire brushes usually found hanging around Safey Klean (tm) parts washers and Sears Hardware stores do a nice job 'tween the fins. A Dremel tool or better yet a die grinder with an assortment of round *SOFT* wire wheels will get you just about anywhere on a motor you want to go, and do it *much* quicker than by hand. A die grinder (electric or pneumatic) is the "Tool Time" version of a Dremel - *More Power! woofwoofwoof* Extra points and less headaches for a light touch. And get the best full-span saftey glasses or goggles you can find and wear them - you're about to spin a wire wheel up past 10,000 rpm. The word for today is *pincushion*.

The reason I'm hyping *SOFT* brushes is that it's quite possible to put leave swirl-marks and even erode the aluminum surface if you get a bit froggy with it. A soft brush protects your parts from the leering schlepp with a power tool in his hands and a burnished-metal dream in his eyes - in other words, you. Go easy. Be patient - much the same as those self-ed books on how to stick your girlfriend to the ceiling, there's a shine in that metal, you just have to bring it out.

Brake cleaner evaporates real quick, so there's a learning curve to how much to apply and how wet to get an area. (no, I'm not talking about your gal-pal here - get your mind back on the metal...) It's possible to do a whole motor with 2 cans, but for a first-timer, add a 1-2 can *Newbie Factor*.

There's scads of grits for Scotchbrite, and the finer ones are okay for aluminum, but personally, I never use the stuff. And it's *DEADLY* to chrome in any form. Anyone found using Scotchbrite on chrome should be permanently demoted to owning nothing finer than a Hoctuie (yes, that's a real (Chinese) brand - pronounced HOCK - TWO - EEE) 50cc scooter.

Beware - cleaning aluminum exposes you to a much more invasive disease - the dreaded *Polishing Virus*. It's possible to buff aluminum to a point that even close lookers will swear it's chrome. I know, I've been trying to shake the bug for nigh on 20 years. But that's another long, long... well, maybe several posts.

For the curious, there's a few shots of my earlier bouts with the affliction in the KZ1000 gallery...

aluminum cleaning. 02 May 2006 11:22 #44500

• mariozappa
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
The best thing I have found so far is this stuff called Hoosier Metal Polish.
It blows Mothers away and is safe for chrome too.
It made the side of my engine cases look like mirrors.
I do stick with the scotchbrite for the head, jugs, etc.

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)
Attachments:

aluminum cleaning. 02 May 2006 12:34 #44515

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 305
mariozappa wrote:

Okay...but what about us folks that don't live near Hoosier land?:blink:
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

aluminum cleaning. 02 May 2006 13:13 #44521

• mariozappa
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I've believe they'll ship anywhere! ;)
Call me biased! lol!
1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

aluminum cleaning. 05 May 2006 05:37 #45237

• heartless
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
just wondering if anyone here has tried this stuff...
www.maasinc.com/]maas polish

Supposed to be good for all metals. some pretty impressive testimonials as well. looking to try to find some locally to give it a try...

as for polishing the smooth, supposed to be shiney, surfaces....nothing beats a buffing wheel and rouge sticks :D
recently fabricated luggage rack brackets for one of the other bikes we have out of scrap aluminum pulled from a trash bin - wet sanded with 600, 800 and 1000 grit wet/dry paper, then took it to the buffer - black to work out what was left of the sanding marks, then brown tripoli to start the shine, then white rouge to refine it more, and finally the fine red rouge....got a real nice shine on them there parts. now to keep them that way!! :P

• Page: