Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Cafe gas tank? 15 Apr 2006 11:31 #39702

• Maxwedge
  • Maxwedge's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I want to put a long cafe style tank on my KZ650. It's only going to be a single seater and I'm kinda going for an old-school racer type look only without the farings. Sort of a Honda (Gasp!) CR 750 type of look. My problem is I don't relly want fiberglass and I can't really afford paying $500+ for a fiberglass tank from Airtech, so I'm going to fire up the band saw and the MIG welder and try my hand a making one out of sheet metal. Just wondering if anybody here has tried something like this before and has any pointers or tips? Also if anybody knows of a cheaper source than Airtech for similar tanks, in case my metal crafting skills turn out to be not up to the task.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pay the man! 15 Apr 2006 13:14 #39716

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
If this is to be your first tank and you want to learn how to do it, Go for it! If you think you can build one for less, you can't.

Do your self a favor buy one already made!

In any case Good Luck.
Bill
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

Cafe gas tank? 15 Apr 2006 14:33 #39727

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
Maxwedge wrote:

I want to put a long cafe style tank on my KZ650. It's only going to be a single seater and I'm kinda going for an old-school racer type look only without the farings. Sort of a Honda (Gasp!) CR 750 type of look. My problem is I don't relly want fiberglass and I can't really afford paying $500+ for a fiberglass tank from Airtech, so I'm going to fire up the band saw and the MIG welder and try my hand a making one out of sheet metal. Just wondering if anybody here has tried something like this before and has any pointers or tips? Also if anybody knows of a cheaper source than Airtech for similar tanks, in case my metal crafting skills turn out to be not up to the task.
Thanks

As someone who fabs parts I'll say this... you can easily make something that will hold gas... but that's about the extent of it. lol You won't be able to build anything half way decent looking without an english wheel or plannishing hammer... or a good shot bag and hammer set and years of experience.

As aformentioned, just buy one... it'll be less of a headache.

Oh, and a better place to look is Glass From The Past. They have aeremicchi single tanks for like $350.00 IIRC, and they can make it fit anything you want them to.

Cafe gas tank? 15 Apr 2006 14:43 #39729

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I have a XS850 tank that might work for you. Here are some pics. Make me an offer.

Post edited by: kawtoy, at: 2006/04/15 17:44
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.
Attachments:

Cafe gas tank? 15 Apr 2006 14:46 #39731

• kawtoy
  • User
try again
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.
Attachments:

Cafe gas tank? 15 Apr 2006 14:46 #39732

• roy-b-boy-b
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
Tracy made fiberglass tanks in the 70"s. I see them on ebay at times. Roy
1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

Cafe gas tank? 15 Apr 2006 14:48 #39734

• kawtoy
  • User
another
Attachments:

Cafe gas tank? 15 Apr 2006 14:56 #39738

• wireman
  • Visitor
i might know where theres a tracy body that has never been used,still in origional primer.bought back in 80-81 for kz1000 they dont hold very much fuel though.:whistle:

Cafe gas tank? 15 Apr 2006 17:56 #39787

• Maxwedge
  • Maxwedge's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Such negativity already and I haven't even started yet, LOL. Sure, I've never built a gas tank before, but I have done a lot of body work. I don't have an english wheel, but I do have several hammers dollies and a shot bag. Not a lot of compound curves in the shape I want, so it seems do-able to me. I figure I can screw up a lot of $5 peices of sheet metal before that $500 starts looking like a good deal. Nothing motivates me like somebody saying it can't be done. Of course I may take you up on that XS850 tank if it doesn't work out though. Time to head out to the garage.;)

Cafe gas tank? 15 Apr 2006 18:09 #39793

• wireman
  • Visitor
i dont think anybody is saying it cant be done,i just noticed somebody say tracy body and mentioned i have access to one.ive posted some sheetmetal work pictures lately that im done,im not the greatest by any means its been a hobby for many years not a profession.ive got access to some people with over 40yrs of metal working experiance to point out my mistakes and boy do they!:whistle: :woohoo: but they also tell me how to fix it when i screw up.ive always said theres nothing i cant do,it comes down to how bad i want to do it.keep us posted!goodluck,happy wrenching!

Cafe gas tank? 15 Apr 2006 19:03 #39802

• roy-b-boy-b
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
I need another "Tracy" body like i need another bike but i would be interstead.
And Tracy bodies and tanks hold a lot of gas. The small one i have will hold nearly four gallons. The tank extends into the side covers. I don't know how much the Tracy for my KZ holds. I have never filled it up. Roy
1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

Cafe gas tank? 16 Apr 2006 09:42 #39897

• bkitchen
  • User
I tried this and didn't have very good results. The look is good but my welding wass awful(cheap Harbor Freight wire feed welder). I kept burning through the metal. I can get a pic if you want.