Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New Paint Job! 16 May 2006 17:34 #47828

• mykznme
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
im all for making the bike an extension of yourself.
but i do like the original lines of the zeds.
i had a very unique paint scheme in mind for this bike when i started but the more i started looking at the classic lines the more i started to appreciate them.
so i incorperated the best of both worlds in mine.
i kept a semi stock stripe and the trick of chameleon paint. then added a few bolt on trinkets here and there and i think i just about got it to where it represents who i am without even looking at me.

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Paint Job! 17 May 2006 19:40 #48122

• Sixgun
  • Sixgun's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well I can tell you there wasn't much to save on this paint job as you can tell from the before pic I posted.

I was trying to decide whether to put the money into a complete restoration of the bike, or just make it something that looked good. My wallet went for the looks good at minimum price for right now.

This is the first bike I've brought back from the dead and I'm still deciding how much money is enough to put into it.

Thanks for all the comments again.
78 KZ750 B3
81 XS650SH
80 XS650G

New Paint Job! 17 May 2006 20:28 #48137

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
Sixgun wrote:

Well I can tell you there wasn't much to save on this paint job as you can tell from the before pic I posted.

I was trying to decide whether to put the money into a complete restoration of the bike, or just make it something that looked good. My wallet went for the looks good at minimum price for right now.

This is the first bike I've brought back from the dead and I'm still deciding how much money is enough to put into it.

Thanks for all the comments again.

Certainly no need to limit yourself or the bike based solely on having re-painted it once - 20 minutes in a decent radiator shop's lye boil out tank and you're back on the road to original-as-possible whenever you'd like... ;)

The point being is that you've done a nice job; enjoy it.

But the bike is likely to outlive this paint job - especially because it's a rattlecan. They're not making any more of these bikes, so there is a natural tendency to increase in value with age. And the eternal value pecking order on paint jobs is going to be: clean original, clean restoration, and custom - in that order.

So enjoy this custom job, and perhaps the next as well. Keep those pics of the original stashed somewhere for reference, and if people start making like lemmings in heat going for classic examples, you're a week or two away from upping the value of your bike...

Nice job. Enjoy!

B)