Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Polishing Spokes(again!) 20 Mar 2006 07:04 #32767

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Sandy,
The wheel looks great ! I have the same job ahead of me. Do you think wax would keep them from rusting, once they have been polished clean ? I do like the idea of spraying some protection on them...I wonder if they make a spray wax?
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Polishing Spokes(again!) 20 Mar 2006 08:36 #32798

• Sandy
  • Sandy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Ya know Kent...Someone probably does make a spray...thicker than silicone spray,but I'm just going to hit it with a rattlecan clearcoat and be done with it.Anything like a wax apray WILL wash off over time,and if You ever spray brake cleen on Your calipers,and forget to respray the wax back on the spokes,then You'd be right back to square one...THAT'S where I don't wanna be.LOL...too much dam work,when I should be riding.
I did a test on a spare spoke,and after 2 coats and some good drying time,it help up pretty good.I tried to pick the clear off with My fingernail,and some DID come off,but I really had to pick at it...and not only that,it probably hadn't quite cured to the core.
I'm going to prep the spokes,by cleaning them really good with some laquer thinner(a PPG product that I have)to get ANY residue from the polish,off of the spokes first,and go from there.
I'll keep an eye on them over time,and see how the clear holds up.As long as I don't use any harsh cleaners on the wheels,I should be ok as far as keeping the shine...any abrasive materials will just dull the clear again.I realize that dust and pebbles will do the same thing over time,but hey...easy enough to just remove the wheel again,and blast on another coat,I suppose.
I'll post on the results over time.Some may say I'm wasting My time,but I only need one more season out of these spoked wheels,before My ZRX conversion starts...I have all the parts needed,except the FRONT wheel(and rotors)...everything else is in a stock-pile and being drooled over.LOL:laugh:
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Polishing Spokes(again!) 20 Mar 2006 10:51 #32816

• KL250
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
here's an idea for ya.

when your ready to clear your wheels goto napa or such and get your self an aresol sprayer. It is a little aresol can with a glass bottle on the bottom that you can put paint or anything in to spray. then go to your local body shop and ask him if he can mix you up about an ounce of clear coat, of any variety. prolly cost ya like $10. then quickly get it home and dump it in your sprayer and paint your spokes with it. In the end it will cost more than some spray cna clear but it will hold up much better.

Polishing Spokes(again!) 06 Apr 2006 21:35 #37440

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
Kurt...thanks for the idea,Bud...but it's a done deal.They turned out very nice with a few coats of clear...will it last,and for how long?...forever,as long as the bike stays in the heated garage!;)

Anything is better than the way they looked.I can spend hours cleaning this beast(the bike),but when I look at the spokes the way they were?...I can't STAND it!LOL...
I'll keep up on them over the season and see how they do with the rattle-can clear on them...thanks Guys!
(I forgot about this post...lol)B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Polishing Spokes(again!) 06 Apr 2006 22:28 #37454

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I resized the pics so I could read the text that was pushed off in the black. Black text on a black background just don't work real well :laugh:
KD9JUR

Polishing Spokes(again!) 06 Apr 2006 22:36 #37457

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
I noticed that too,Steell...thanks Bud...appreciate that.B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Polishing Spokes(again!) 07 Apr 2006 08:08 #37549

• KL250
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
The rattle can stuff will probably be as good as a quality urethane clear, as far as corrosion protection goes. but it won't be nearly as shiney or as chemical resistant, but it is cheap and easy. you know the the saying cheap easy good pick two.

I really need to do mine, but i'm planning on getting an 18" frnt wheel laced to my stock hub and a wider rim laced to my rear, so i'm just going to get some custon stainless spokes made. no rust for me. B)hehe

Polishing Spokes(again!) 07 Apr 2006 11:19 #37591

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
If you don't have an old shammie laying around and you don't want to spend $10 for a new one you can use an old pair of jeans. They are pretty durable and rought enough to help break thru the crud on the spokes. Not only are they free, you will also be getitng rid of some of the crap in your closet. This will give the wife more room for her clothes. This makes for a happy wife.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

• Page: