Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

morphing paint schemes 01 Feb 2006 15:05 #20967

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
If you like blue shades, check into a Cobalt Blue. I'm not a big fan of blue, but that is a great shade of blue.
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

morphing paint schemes 02 Feb 2006 17:01 #21188

• wiredgeorge
  • wiredgeorge's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The missus and I decided to paint in red! dutchz if you can do a red mock up with a flat seat, blacked out engine and the red fender, I would consider it a great favor. The missus decided both blue and green were dull. I liked the green better but I have learned that engaging the missus in color decisions on a bike will allow the bucks for a project to flow a bit more freely bwhahaha It has taken me 34 years of training to figure this out (well our 34th anniversary is on Valentines day). Cheers!
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

morphing paint schemes 04 Feb 2006 07:31 #21415

• dutchz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
George, I would be more than happy to, but... can you email me a picture of your bike taken from the side with the bike on the sidestand, like the one I pulled of the net? It will make things a lot easierwith the correct seat etc. already on it. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

morphing paint schemes 24 Feb 2006 09:57 #26114

• dutchz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Here you go WG... That took me a while, hope you haven't painted the bike yet :whistle:
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.
Attachments:

morphing paint schemes 27 Feb 2006 07:51 #26761

• wiredgeorge
  • wiredgeorge's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Thanks Dutch! My wife likes the paint on the mock up and I have to paint a couple other bikes and will probably use the same color on all of them after a bit of practice. I have limited time to work on my projects as I have a ton of carburetor and other mechanical work to do so the painting is no hurry. I am also waiting till the weather gets a tad warmer as I don't want to chance doing this on cooler days. I have decided, based on some expert advice to go with a base coat/clear coat system instead of acrylic enamel. The missus and I stopped at O'Reilly's Autoparts where they carry a very nice selection of touch up paint and she picked out GM Med Red Metallic. I will probably get a quart mixed at NAPA or another autoparts place unless I hear back from a KZRIder member who may have something close to this shade.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

morphing paint schemes 31 Mar 2006 16:43 #35805

• IlllMikeIlll
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
George call me for the paint. I can go to colortone, sherwin williams, or buy direct from dupont. as far as metal flake. go with a 2 part. solid color that you add the flake into. that way you have more control and will get exactly the look you want..dont go to napa or any other auto parts store for paint.. thats kinda like going to that abe's cycles. yea you can get what you need but they are going to over charge you for a far inferior product.. you only want to paint your bike once I will assume. you need a good paint like ful-thane any thing that comes with only a reducer)such as auto store paint) is no good.. if you wanna look sharp you need a paint that has a pigment, catalyst and a reducer. and remember if you need any help from me I live 10 miles away and love to paint.. Ill come help ya just so i can show yer bike off to my buddies if I ever see ya riding. :) its a fun thing for me.

morphing paint schemes 01 Apr 2006 23:21 #36097

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
You might be able to get a free copy of an old microsoft program called "image composer". I use it because it's pretty simple and basic, but gets the job done for something like this.
Attachments:

morphing paint schemes 02 Apr 2006 08:35 #36136

• rammy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
WG if you really want the red you picked out to really POP. 1st paint is a bright yellow then paint your color red if you are doing a base/clear.It will make a BIG difference since base/clear reds are transparent.Here is picture of my tank with a ford red i used.If you like it (or the missus)let me know.I will give you the paint code and how much xtra mettalic i had put in it

Post edited by: rammy, at: 2006/04/02 11:38
The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs
Attachments:

• Page: