• Page:

TOPIC:

MC piston stuck - now filling w/fluid 19 Sep 2006 09:24 #77818

• godsjester71
  • godsjester71's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
wireman wrote:

carefull with that brakeclean,it does terrible things to rubber parts !

Yeah, thats probably why my original MC piston got unstuck. I was soaking it in brake cleaner in a plastic box for a couple days. the box was all sorts of warped, and i bet the piston o-rings partially disolved. Only other thing soaking in it was the bolts and washers.

Speaking of which, are these washers still usable (they dont seem like crush washers), or will I need to get new ones?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

MC piston stuck 19 Sep 2006 11:05 #77845

• wireman
  • Visitor
godsjester71 wrote:

OK, my brakes are going back together tomorrow on the ZX550, and i have to fill 4 different paths (anti--dive till I can get the pregressive springs this winter.

Are there any helpfull tricks to make my life easier or make sure they fill right?

One person told me to attach a hose to the bleeder and run the tube into a container of brake fluid, so it doesnt suck air back in somehow. Unreliable source tho.

Ive also been told to make sure the MC is ALWAYS full, that one makes sense.

the reason for running the piece of hose into a jar of brake fluid is so one person can bleed brakes without having to open and close bleeder valve each time ,just make sure the end of hose is submerged under brake fluid so you dont suck air back into system.dump brake fluid int a clean jar with the hose ,do not use brake fluid bottle so you dont contaminate brake fluid in new bottle.was i the unreliable source?i remember posting this technique several months ago :S :whistle:

MC piston stuck - now filling w/fluid 19 Sep 2006 11:10 #77847

• wireman
  • Visitor
godsjester71 wrote:

wireman wrote:

carefull with that brakeclean,it does terrible things to rubber parts !

Yeah, thats probably why my original MC piston got unstuck. I was soaking it in brake cleaner in a plastic box for a couple days. the box was all sorts of warped, and i bet the piston o-rings partially disolved. Only other thing soaking in it was the bolts and washers.

Speaking of which, are these washers still usable (they dont seem like crush washers), or will I need to get new ones?

if they are the copper banjo bolt washers you can heat them up and aneal them by cooling them in water.ive always used denatured alcohal to clean rubber parts for brakes and carb parts wit no problems .petroleum based products tend to swell rubber parts in my experiance.;)

MC piston stuck - now filling w/fluid 19 Sep 2006 11:42 #77856

• godsjester71
  • User
Thankfully, I only rinsed the lines with the spray fluid, and let them dry out. :whistle:

They are all getting replaced (stainless) this winter when I get the progressive springs (and roller head bearings). Amongst other things. ;)

MC piston stuck 19 Sep 2006 11:45 #77858

• godsjester71
  • User
wireman wrote:

was i the unreliable source?i remember posting this technique several months ago :S :whistle:

Nah. Bartender, mid saturday afternoon.

MC piston stuck 21 Sep 2006 09:33 #78464

• godsjester71
  • User
OK, hooked and filled them all up, even got the antidive purged in the process, brownish fluid. brakes are mushy now, but they are there. After riding it last night, and it sitting over night, I'm going to bleed the top banjo bolt (air travels up).

I'm still amazed that site glasses are clear, and not a hazy ocre!

Anything else I should check before I get new washers?

Post edited by: godsjester71, at: 2006/09/21 12:35

• Page: