Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Frame crack 21 Aug 2006 09:14 #71336

• wireman
  • Visitor
looks like frame was picked up from that point and eggshaped tubing.id have them heat the tube a little and do some blacksmithing on it to make it semi round again,flat spot in frame weakens tube in that area.id also have them drill a small hole in each end of crack before they weld it back up,this will stop crack from reapearing make sure they weld up th holes though. ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Frame crack 21 Aug 2006 09:38 #71344

• Mikes82KZ1100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Looks like a ice crack to me also BUT.... That would be near impossible. For it to swell and split like that would mean the water had no where to go and THAT would mean the entire frame was full and frozen. My next guess would be someone jumped off a curb that was too tall and it bottomed out.

Frame crack 21 Aug 2006 09:40 #71346

• minutiesabotage
  • minutiesabotage's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I do not have the time to take everything off the frame. I also do not have the money to have a welder do all that. My local welder charges $90 per hour.

Almost $300 of unexpected expenses: To the classifieds I go.

Frame crack 21 Aug 2006 09:48 #71348

• wireman
  • Visitor
that aint that big of a deal,should be able to fix with motor still in frame.do you have any friends with access to a welder?get it to omaha and we'll knock it out in an hour!;)

Frame crack 21 Aug 2006 10:37 #71361

• minutiesabotage
  • User
I have an acetylene welder, but I am not good with it, and I do not have the experience to reshape the frame.

Frame crack 21 Aug 2006 10:47 #71365

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
If it were my bike, I'd keep riding until it was convenient to get it fixed. IMO it's not unsafe if checked periodically. I've seen the same crack in radio tower legs that filled with water and froze. The clue is that it's split open without being pushed in and that there is a bulge around it.

Post edited by: Duck, at: 2006/08/21 13:48

Frame crack 21 Aug 2006 11:04 #71371

• minutiesabotage
  • User
So would it be safe to say that if the opposite side is also bulging, that it is water (ice) damage; but if the opposite side is pinched in, it is stress damage?

Frame crack 21 Aug 2006 13:02 #71392

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
You have an acetylene welder.?
Well if you can't do it with that then you need to spend a little time looking for someone with a welder, or someone who can oxy-acetylene weld with your setup. They have videos and library books that will get you thru that little crack, why don't you take a chance and practice on some scrap steel first?

I would not sell my bike for a crack like that. Got any muffler shops in town? I pass 5 of them on my way home. I paid a guy $20 to weld up my car seat frame once.
What you have is not that big a deal to need to sell your bike.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Frame crack 21 Aug 2006 14:00 #71401

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
OKC_Kent hit the nail on the head, it's no big deal and easy to fix, it's only mild steel tubing :)
KD9JUR

Frame crack 21 Aug 2006 19:13 #71450

• Fossil
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Wether it's cracked from ice or from being hit/dropped, you're going to have to repair it eventually - water getting in is going to rot out your lower tubes. You can heat it up yourself and reshape it with hammers and dollys and get a local welder to close the crack. OR, cut out the damage and replace it with a piece of mild steel tubing of the same id and od, with a bit of sleeve in each end rather than butt welding. Whatever you do, close the hole to keep water out and after the work is done spray an autobody oil/wax type rust preventer/neutralizer inside the frame tubes, even if you have to drill small holes to get it in (and allow condensation out).

Frame crack 21 Aug 2006 20:02 #71472

• arai59
  • Visitor
weld, prime and paint.

Frame crack 21 Aug 2006 21:25 #71486

• geerbangr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Minute,if you have a oxy/gas setup weld it yourself,i would'nt junk the bike,it's fixable !!! If the cheapest welders in your area charge 90 bones an hour i may pack my shit up and move up there,hell i can make a good living charging half that amount and still sleep at night knowing i never hosed anyone.Shop around dude it wouldn't take a good welder 25 minutes to repair.
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

• Page: