Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

630 Drive Chain Question 12 Oct 2019 12:45 #812315

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
The Whale brand chain tools I got right from Japan. Back in the days where price did not matter to me. I was addicted to motorcycles and racing them back then. I would give up buying food so I could buy more motorcycle go fast parts!!! I would hit all my friends houses for dinners 4 or 5 nights a week so I didn't starve!!!

I did find a pretty decent priced chain tool that works on 630 sized chains. BikeMaster part number 01-630. That is a Tucker Dist brand part. Your local dealer should be able to order it for you too!!!! Tucker used to be one of the largest distributors for motorcycle dealerships. I have been out of the industry for like 15 years now so I don't know how big they are now compared to like Parts Unlimited. The retail price I saw on Ebay was anywhere from 104 dollars to 126 dollars. It looks like it does both cut and rivet chains. So you don't have to buy two different tools.

I used to ride my bikes as hard as I could. Every time we went out riding it was basically a race., not a cruise for miles at the speed limit. I used to like the 10 or 15 mile top end runs down Highway 41 topped out in 5th or 6th gear. Then peel off down the twisty side roads and rode them just as hard as we did on the track!! I had two clip master links come apart as I went through the gears. Both times I bent every valve in my motor as it revved off the tach face. I was very lucky both times I lost the chain, it never put a hole in my cases!!! When it happened on my GSXR750 besides tearing the top end down. The end of the chain destroyed the tail section, the inner fender, the chain guard, and the engine chain cover!!!! All big buck parts on the Limited Edition GSXR!!!! Plus it gouged the hell out of the swing arm too!!!

I WILL NEVER EVER PUT A CLIP TYPE MASTER LINK ON ANY MOTORCYCLE I RIDE, OR BUILD!!!!!
END OF QUESTION!!!!

The Bikemaster chain tool kit part number 01-630
1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BCScott, Rick H.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Dr. Gamma.

630 Drive Chain Question 13 Oct 2019 07:48 #812351

• Rick H.
  • Rick H.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
After spending quite some time searching the internet it appears few if any modern chain riveters will handle #630 chain riveting. Many will break it, but not rivet it. Those that can rivet it appear to only allow use of hollow pin master links which I guess isn't all that bad. I was not able to find any Whale chain riveters for #630 chain for sale in the US. Having said that, the ones I found were mostly in England, but the ads neglected to mention if a quad riveting tip was in the kit. Apparently the Whale 60 kit is now used for both breaking and riveting purposes. I know buying one is an expensive proposition, but the alternative is to have a motorcycle shop do it for at least $100.00 or more and then you don't know if it was done correctly. Minimum charge at most bike shops in my area is one hour at $100.00 per hour for actual work being done. The search continues...…
Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Last edit: by Rick H..

630 Drive Chain Question 13 Oct 2019 09:40 #812357

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1470
Just go buy a hollow pin soft link and the tool to spread it.
The 530 tool will do the job , it will be as good as a quad staked solid link and the whole job will be cheaper than getting the shop to do it.
The hollow in the soft link is only a shallow depth to allow the tool to spread the end and the term " soft" does not mean the link is not hardened.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw, Rick H.

630 Drive Chain Question 18 Oct 2019 07:47 #812657

• Rick H.
  • User
For anyone that has a Whale Riveting Tool, does the middle tool, or insert look like the correct one for "quad" staking a soft nose solid chain pin? I think the other two items are for pin removal and a tool for tightening bushings. You can get a better look at it by enlarging the picture. Thanks....
Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
Attachments:

630 Drive Chain Question 18 Oct 2019 13:48 #812683

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
The middle tool looks to have the same end as my tool. I had to copy photo and blow it up to a supersize photo to make sure!!!! The bottom tool is the tool to push out the pin. I would love to have that part. My ex-racer "buddy" broke mine. And he replaced it with one that was made out of some cheap ass steel!!!! First time I tried to use it, it folded up like a piece of lead. THAT WAS THE VERY LAST TOOL I EVER LOANED OUT TO ANYONE!!!!! I would love to have another one of the factory Whale tools!!!!! Got no idea what that top tool end does. Never saw it before this photo. I did look, the anvil part of my Whale tools are the same. So you don't need two complete tools anymore!!!
1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.

630 Drive Chain Question 18 Oct 2019 14:54 #812688

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

zed1015 wrote: Just go buy a hollow pin soft link and the tool to spread it.
The 530 tool will do the job , it will be as good as a quad staked solid link and the whole job will be cheaper than getting the shop to do it.
The hollow in the soft link is only a shallow depth to allow the tool to spread the end and the term " soft" does not mean the link is not hardened.

I would second and third Zed's advice. it used to be a "thing" to find dead sporty's with cracked RH cases from the chain link coming out and the chain wrapping up on the front sprocket, breaking the case. Although it looks like you are already on the right path with the rivet tool, the 4 point stake is really not necessary IMHO. This is my EK 630 SRO chain with hollow rivet link. Done deal. (the second time around on the link). A little learning curve adjustment was necessary.

Attachment not found

As previously stated, it doesn't take an expensive tool to stake the hollow pin links. I don't remember how much I paid for this cheapo tool, but it wasn't much on eeeeebbbayyyyy... Fast and FREE shipping too. :)

Attachment not found

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
The following user(s) said Thank You: baldy110, BCScott, Rick H.

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: typo's

630 Drive Chain Question 18 Oct 2019 14:55 #812689

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1903
I use this chain pin removal and riveting tool over the years.
You can do D.I.D-, Regina-, RK and Enuma chains.

cdn3.louis.de/content/catalogue/articles...ennwerkz_GB_INET.pdf
Attachments:

630 Drive Chain Question 19 Oct 2019 15:08 #812724

• BCScott
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Thanks, old_kaw. You convinced me to try the same kit, since I have the same chain. $37.77 CDN ($28.25 USD) all-in. If it works once, it'll be worth it. Funny, though, the price ranges from $37.77 to $97.95 for the exact same kit on amazon.ca, depending on who ships it. I'm assuming it's coming from China, as arrival is between Nov.8 and Dec. 2nd. No big deal, as my insurance expires tomorrow and the bike will be stored until March.
Back in the saddle and loving it! KZ1000A1

630 Drive Chain Question 19 Oct 2019 15:59 #812727

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE

630 Drive Chain Question 19 Oct 2019 16:03 #812728

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1903
To Rick.H.
You can use the Rothewald chain tool to de-rivet and rivet 630 chains. To de-rivet 630 chains you need only a 7-8 mm ID washer to push out the link bolt. The 530 chain riveting tab can handle 630 chain key links. It´s a little tight fit but it works great.

If you need/want the tool i can order it for you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.

Last edit: by Scirocco.

630 Drive Chain Question 20 Oct 2019 06:52 #812752

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 615
^^^ That's like waving candy in front of a hopeless tool junkie.^^^

Must... resist...

AARRRGGGG!!!!!

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

630 Drive Chain Question 20 Oct 2019 08:45 #812759

• Rick H.
  • User
Not to bore anyone, but I did some checking in regards to the Rothewald tool that Scirocco told me/us about. It most certainly looks like a fantastic tool and one well liked by Scirocco. I had some email conversations with the company that sells them in Germany and it seems this is a propriety tool made by the company and the price is not bad on it at about $90.00+shipping. Unfortunately for us the company refuses to sell anything to anyone living in the USA or Canada. When I asked for a reason behind the no sell order, I was told it is a company policy based on product liability concerns. Seems really odd to me as I have purchased a ton of items for my bikes, Beemers and the KZ-1000, from Germany before without any issues. In fact I recently bought an OEM rear drive cushion from Germany and a front wheel speedo drive assembly from there also. This all seems odd to me, but none-the-less a great looking tool.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Last edit: by Rick H..