• Page:

TOPIC:

Chassis upgrade F/R 06 Jan 2019 15:42 #796292

• kzdcw
  • kzdcw's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
  • Thank you received: 13
I'm finally getting around upgrading my 77' KZ1000A. I had to take a temp. hiatis from working on the bike but am back. Since I pulled the motor and had it rebuilt, now would be a perfect time to upgrade the suspension.

Front front fork/brake upgrade ? Rear swing arm/shock/brake upgrade?

What's out there without breaking the bank. Trying to get some suspension upgrades that you Guys have used effectively and not having to go into so much laborous machine work.
77' KZ1000A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chassis upgrade F/R 06 Jan 2019 17:07 #796299

• Move0ver
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56
Race Tech springs and emulators will completely transform the front suspension. That combined with a fork brace will really have an impact.

Replacing the brake lines with braided lines should return a lot of feeling back to the brake lever.

Hagon shocks are a good budget choice for the rear end. Take a look at the swing arm bushings too, those need periodic servicing and can worn ones can impact handling.

Last edit: by Move0ver.

Chassis upgrade F/R 06 Jan 2019 17:12 #796300

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
I've had Hagon shocks on my KZ650-C1 for nearly 12 years (16,000+ miles). They still work like new and look like new. I really like them a lot! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Last edit: by 650ed.

Chassis upgrade F/R 06 Jan 2019 18:00 #796303

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
What about using a different front end and rear swingarm ? Just to see what other options are.
77' KZ1000A

Chassis upgrade F/R 07 Jan 2019 06:22 #796333

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
If you want to change major components, the the sky is the limit. There are a bunch of build threads on this site, and many more in the archives, that use a wide variety of different suspension components, a ZRX swingarm and a front end from a 1994 - 2006 Concours would be a relatively inexpensive way to get much better suspension. It really boils down to how much money, time and fabrication you are willing to dedicate to the project, and what your goals are. Keep in mind, that the more the suspension is improved, the more you will notice how flexible the frame is. Frame bracing can help, but there is another stack of money and time. It can snowball quickly.
I think that setting some clear goals and a budget limit before starting can help prevent this from spiraling out of control and will likely bring you pleasant results.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

Chassis upgrade F/R 07 Jan 2019 06:57 #796336

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

TexasKZ wrote: If you want to change major components, the the sky is the limit. ........................I think that setting some clear goals and a budget limit before starting can help prevent this from spiraling out of control and will likely bring you pleasant results.

Another thing to consider is that it would be much faster, considerably better from a technological standpoint, and less expensive to simply buy a newer bike rather than trying to make a 42 year old bike perform like a newer bike. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw

Chassis upgrade F/R 07 Jan 2019 15:55 #796366

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
Appreciate "all" the solid input as usual ! I want to retain the spoke wheels, wouldn't mind going to an 18" front wheel ( I have the rim 40-spoke ). I have shorter rear shocks ( 12.5" ) and ran the front fork tubes up the fork clamps by 1". I'm short, so helped with foot placement.

Right now the bike is set-up with Dual brake discs up front ( stock drilled LTD's ) with the stock single piston calipers.

A nicer and light brake caliper set-up would great. So maybe the front end off of a "concourse" would be a nice upgrade which I'm assuming has bigger fork tubes and multi piston brake calipers ?

Also, what about the Suzuki GS1100E swing arm ? Is that a big mod or does it pretty much bolt up to the "stock" KZ chassis ?
77' KZ1000A

Last edit: by kzdcw.

Chassis upgrade F/R 10 Jan 2019 13:17 #796496

• kevski
  • User
  • Thank you received: 154
To be fair it depends on what you want out of the bike when finished, one of the best improvements is frame bracing, my own has this and it's a very worthwhile modification stiffening up the frame no end, i also have TEC adjustable shocks not expensive around $200 US, on the rear, set at around 270mm eye to eye and this speeds up the steering, tapered roller bearings for the head stock and triple trees stock forks with a slightly heavier grade oil than stock, rear arm is stock with a deep brace added needle roller bearings installed, stock wheels, a cut down seat as i have short legs at only 28 inches, with these slight improvements 40 year old bike handles a lot better than a stock zed
Attachments:

Last edit: by kevski.

Chassis upgrade F/R 11 Jan 2019 04:32 #796514

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
Another thing to consider is that it would be much faster, considerably better from a technological standpoint, and less expensive to simply buy a newer bike rather than trying to make a 42 year old bike perform like a newer bike. Ed[/quote]

I'm with Ed on this one, yes there are things that can and should be updated on these bikes like shocks, springs, bearings, tires but from what I see it's not always a good thing to change the geometry and a lot of guys get it wrong and it can be dangerous.

With changing the few things mentioned above your bike will out handle the ability's of most riders and the roads they ride on.

78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

Chassis upgrade F/R 11 Jan 2019 16:34 #796549

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
Kevski, can you talk to me more about your frame bracing and TEC rear shocks ? Like to see some pictures if available. I'm a fairly light weight rider , around 165 lbs. with gear.
77' KZ1000A

Chassis upgrade F/R 12 Jan 2019 12:16 #796600

• kevski
  • User
  • Thank you received: 154
The frame bracing and swing arm bracing was commissioned by the previous owner, it's a common thing over here, it tightens the frame up, kits can be bought on the internet, i put the adjustable TEC shocks on, which i have adjusted to around 370mm in length, around an inch higher than stock they are made in the UK and are fully re-buildable and a good price, the front forks are just standard with a grade higher oil in them, just these simple and not expensive things make for a better handling bike, here is a link for the shocks, and cost me at today's exchange rate $180 usd, also some pictures of the frame mods. P.S i am only around 150lb's wet a year ago i was over 220lb's.
www.tecbikepartsusa.com/TEC_Adjustable_R...sak_p/j-sh21a-k3.htm

Last edit: by kevski.

Chassis upgrade F/R 12 Jan 2019 13:37 #796603

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
I will admit that I would like to beef up my stock swing arm, and probably will on my next build.
Thanks for the pics
78 KZ1000 A2A

Last edit: by bluej58.
  • Page: