Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Touring gear to fit KZ1000? 27 Feb 2013 10:50 #574398

• 893cv
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
The mounts are always the hard part! Anything you do (that allows you to lock the bags on the bike) will make you modify your bike. About the best you can do is to design a mount system thats easy to remove so you can return your KZ back to stock.
1980 kz1000 LTD
1978 Z1R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Touring gear to fit KZ1000? 27 Feb 2013 21:39 #574477

• Galactica
  • Galactica's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I will not be installing a fairing. I dislike them. At most, I install a handle bar mount windshield.

Ron,

In the past I have always just used the nylon sidebags and strapped duffel bags on the seat behind me. I also have a rack that bolts on at the upper shock and grab rail mount. This rack them cantilevers out over the tail light. I thought this was great. During a 2,000 mile trip, it broke just aft of the grab rail mount, and had to have it welded. If it carries much weight, over time it breaks at that point from constant stress, vibration, and bumps. So I need to employ a more robust system.

The reason I want to go to hard bags that are fastened more securely to the bike is so that I can go into a store or restaurant with less fear of the stuff getting stolen. I realize that if someone really wants to steal it, they will. But if it is a little bit more difficult to remove from the bike, the less likely it will be taken.

Cheers,
Ross
77KZ1000
76 KZ900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: