Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Parking lot Fender Breaker 23 Jun 2006 05:10 #56475

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I think that the side stand would have bent or broken before the frame would bend, when you talk to her insurance co. make sure you tell them it is a classic bike and you will have the bike taken to someone who specializes in classic motorcycles.
you dont want them to even talk about a total, in some states if you get the option to buy it back, the title will reflect a salvage, makes it damn near worthless if you ever tried to sell it.
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Parking lot Fender Breaker 23 Jun 2006 06:07 #56488

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
maybe one of the many 650 owners here will be nice enough to post some pics of the frame where the stand mounts to compare to yours :whistle: :)
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

Parking lot Fender Breaker 23 Jun 2006 07:05 #56508

• IowaKZ
  • User
  • '80 G1 Classic
  • Thank you received: 5
I really feel for you. I am not an advocate of taking away drivers licences at a certain age, but I think that we should require driving tests by anyone over a certain age. Like every 5 years after 55 and every year after 70. something like that.

I had a great aunt who started to drive this way. her specialty was no-look backing up and running stop signs. I guess she thought at her age, she didn't need to follow rules anymore. Finally my mom had to take away her keys.

Then she went and had another set made on the sly. It was quite a power struggle for a while, but in the end my mom got all the keys away. It's hard to give up that independence, but when there are other's lives at stake you have to do it.

I hope I have the courage to give up the keys when I can't drive:whistle:

Sorry, got side tracked. I hope everything works out for you on your bike. Glad you weren't on it. Might have a sore leg now if you were (or worse).

Take care.
1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

Parking lot Fender Breaker 23 Jun 2006 10:00 #56558

• kawsakiman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
[img size=150]
someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

Parking lot Fender Breaker 23 Jun 2006 16:15 #56643

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Check the sidestand bracket where it is welded to the frame, I have seen more than one crack the frame at that point.
I just bend it back in place and weld it.
KD9JUR

Parking lot Fender Breaker 23 Jun 2006 16:39 #56647

• captaincrusty51
  • captaincrusty51's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
A nights rest plus a couple of hours killing Nazis in COD2 and I feel less stressed.

I rode up the road and back and got her up to eighty and she seems to track stright.

Nothing looked stressed or broken on the kickstand side. Never looking at it closely before I don't know if the bend in my frame is normal or not.

The rear brake side looks like the tab is bent as well as the pedal

Considering how wedged together the bike and car were, these Kaws are pretty sturdy.

Of course, I got home too late to get the police report. Hopefully they are open tomorrow.

Thanks all for the advice and condolances.

Post edited by: captaincrusty51, at: 2006/06/23 19:41

Post edited by: captaincrusty51, at: 2006/06/23 19:42

Post edited by: captaincrusty51, at: 2006/06/23 19:49
1978 KZ650C
Keihin CR Special carbs, MAC 4 into 1, Koni Shocks, Emgo Pods

2002 ZRX1200R
Akrapovic exhaust, Teds Ignition Advance, Steering Damper, Dunlop Qualifier tires, Corbin GF/L,Rear tire hugger, Tsukigi braces
Attachments:

Parking lot Fender Breaker 23 Jun 2006 16:43 #56649

• captaincrusty51
  • User
Sidestand It is hard to see from the pic, but there are slight bends at the arrows

Post edited by: captaincrusty51, at: 2006/06/23 19:44

Post edited by: captaincrusty51, at: 2006/06/23 19:46
1978 KZ650C

2002 ZRX1200R
Akrapovic exhaust, Teds Ignition Advance, Steering Damper, Dunlop Qualifier tires, Corbin GF/L,Rear tire hugger, Tsukigi braces
Attachments:

Parking lot Fender Breaker 23 Jun 2006 17:11 #56652

• kawsakiman
  • User
hope this helps. (please disregard how dirty my bike is, it's still a work in progress)

Parking lot Fender Breaker 23 Jun 2006 17:13 #56653

• kawsakiman
  • User
hope this helps(please disregard how dirty my bike is, it's still a work in progress. )

Parking lot Fender Breaker 23 Jun 2006 17:17 #56654

• kawsakiman
  • User
sorry for no pic, i'm now headed to the help page to figure out what i'm doing wrong

Parking lot Fender Breaker 23 Jun 2006 17:51 #56661

• captaincrusty51
  • User
IowaKZ wrote:

I really feel for you. I am not an advocate of taking away drivers licences at a certain age, but I think that we should require driving tests by anyone over a certain age. Like every 5 years after 55 and every year after 70. something like that.

I had a great aunt who started to drive this way. her specialty was no-look backing up and running stop signs. I guess she thought at her age, she didn't need to follow rules anymore. Finally my mom had to take away her keys.

Then she went and had another set made on the sly. It was quite a power struggle for a while, but in the end my mom got all the keys away. It's hard to give up that independence, but when there are other's lives at stake you have to do it.

I hope I have the courage to give up the keys when I can't drive:whistle:

The first time I met my wife's grandmother, we were getting together for breakfast at a country inn near the old folks home she lived at. She was 91 at the time and had a 10 year old mid 80s Caddy that was dented from stem to stern. After breakfast, we followed her home and in the 3 mile drive back, she ran two stop signs and a red light.

It took about six months but we finally got all the keys from her.

There is no doubt that as our population ages we need to institute manditory retesting. The sooner the better.
1978 KZ650C

2002 ZRX1200R

Parking lot Fender Breaker 23 Jun 2006 18:18 #56664

• jbw7300
  • User
  • you can't ride if your fried
my wifes grandfather suffered from parkinson's he could not turn his head at all, he had an old dodge truck they took his keys away, next day they noticed the truck was gone and so was he, they waited till he came home and found out the ignition was so worn he could start it with a screw driver!! so they called me to solve the problem , ahhh what a good pair of vice grips on a fuel line will do...... oh by the way in the weeks prior to all this he had hit his wifes car, a tractor ,took out the corner of the barn hit a silo and ran over a goat.. well they should have took her keys away too, two months later she pulled out into traffic cut off a moving van witch went out of control fliped on it's side killing one person in the van who was trown from the truck when the bungie cord holding the door shut failed!!! nobody was held liable
just go's to show ya you can have the best intensions but you cant stop them all
84 kz 700 a1 sports