Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ650C1 Frt Master Cylinder Disassembly 05 Jul 2006 05:36 #59447

• bemoore
  • bemoore's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
The KZ650C1 model has dual front disks. Does this change the master cylinder, and if so, are there compatible master cylinders from other bikes that will work?
77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650C1 Frt Master Cylinder Disassembly 06 Jul 2006 02:56 #59601

• gpzrox
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
To go the right way, a 5/8" master cylinder is what you should have on a dual disc application.

And you have a 7/8 handlebar, so pretty much any Jap should work, allowing for any clearance issues -- if you have non stock handlebars or such.
84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

KZ650C1 Frt Master Cylinder Disassembly 24 Jul 2006 10:56 #64261

• bemoore
  • User
OK. I finally got it apart. I found a pretty good set of picks at work which turned out to be the charm. Tons-o-junk in there. I cleaned it out as best I could. Then I wanted to clean the bore somehow. I found that a brass cleaning brush for a 20 ga shotgun is just about the perfect size. It might even be a little small, but I didn't want to grind too hard on it. I chucked it up in a variable speed drill and ran it very slowly mostly just to break loose any dirt stuck to the bore. I wasn't trying to remove any metal. Seemed to work.

In the resevoir, there is a plastic disk that covers the bottom and blocks access to the hole to the bore. Can this disk be removed and re-intalled? I'm sure I can get it out, but I'm not sure I can get it back in. I'm concerned that it may have been installed prior to the resevoir going on. And I don't see a way to get the resevoir off.

With all the internals out of the bore, I squirted compressed air from and to every direction I could. I reassembled it and put fluid in it and tried to bleed it with my thumb on the output to create some pressure as I pushed the brake lever in, and vacuum as I let it out. It seemed to be working. I eventually got fluid to come out. I tried this before cleaning it out and it didn't work, so I think that it is working better, but I would like to, if possible, remove that disk and resevoir and ensure that all the gunk is gone.

Thanks.
77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

KZ650C1 Frt Master Cylinder Disassembly 25 Jul 2006 20:50 #64747

• rgpbeme
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
On some Master cyl. the cover mounting screws are long and hold the res. on also If so just try to turn the res back and forth. It should have a o-ring on it.

I know on my 79 1000 I had to get to the chamber under the res. There were two holes that go through to the cylinder bore.

One was about 1/8" and cleaned out easy the other was about the size of a needle. It took a torch tip cleaner and some time to get it open no flushing would touch it.

Go to a site www.partnmore.com and check the brake parts. They have rebuild kits, new master cylinders, rotors. brakd pistons and shoes and more.

KZ650C1 Frt Master Cylinder Disassembly 26 Jul 2006 08:22 #64832

• bemoore
  • User
rgpbeme wrote:

On some Master cyl. the cover mounting screws are long and hold the res. on also If so just try to turn the res back and forth. It should have a o-ring on it.

My master cylinder has a round resevoir with a screw on cover. It doesn't have any mounting screws.

rgpbeme wrote:

Go to a site www.partnmore.com and check the brake parts. They have rebuild kits, new master cylinders, rotors. brakd pistons and shoes and more.

Thanks. I'll take a look at them and see what they have.
77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

• Page: