Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How do I convert kz440 wheels to work on kz650 30 Apr 2006 17:49 #43993

• elcid
  • elcid's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok I picked up these kz440 mag wheels for a steal today & am wondering what is the best way to convert them to fit? The 650 has a much thicker axel & is attached to the forks completely differently. Can I just switch the axels, bearings & all innards from the two? Or what other methods have you guys tried tha work? Also what will I do with the rear wheel setup? Thanx!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How do I convert kz440 wheels to work on kz650 01 May 2006 11:24 #44186

• elcid
  • User
bump

How do I convert kz440 wheels to work on kz650 01 May 2006 11:53 #44191

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Year and model of each bike, and the numbers on the bearings would make it possible to answer :)
KD9JUR

How do I convert kz440 wheels to work on kz650 01 May 2006 12:19 #44197

• elcid
  • User
That will be hard as that bike I got the mags from is at the junbkyard & I am at home... anyone else?

How do I convert kz440 wheels to work on kz650 01 May 2006 14:10 #44218

• steell
  • User
Different year/model 650's use different axles and different bearings, and the 440 is "probably" the same way (I don't know for sure about the 440).

If you look in the FileBase there is a list of what wheel bearings each model uses, and if both bikes use the same bearings then the axle diameters are the same.

I just looked at the Filebase article, and there are two different front wheel bearings, and two different rear wheel bearings, for just the KZ650. The KZ440 is not listed, but the same thing applies to the 400.

So without more info, an accurate answer is not possible.

If you have the wheels off the 440 then you can look at the bearings and get the numbers off them, and I assume you have the KZ650, so posting the year and model for that one should not be to hard.

Generally speaking (pretty much always), you will not be able to just swap the bearings, if the ID is different then the OD will be different. If the 440 axle is smaller (and you have it) then you may be able to make a sleeve to go over the axle and inside the fork clamp. Or you may be able to have the center of the wheel (where the bearing goes) machined to increase the diameter so you can use the 650 bearings. I think that "adapter" bearings may be available as well, as some people have used inch bearings to replace metric bearings and got a reasonable close fit (But I am not in favor of "reasonably" close on wheel bearings).

As far as the rear wheel, are you switching from drum to disk, or disk to drum, brakes? Again, a little more info would be helpful.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/05/01 17:13
KD9JUR

How do I convert kz440 wheels to work on kz650 01 May 2006 14:55 #44228

• elcid
  • User
I see what you are saying. I have looked at the axels on the 440 & they are definitely thinner. I was also wondering about putting some sort of sleeve on the axel itself so it fits on the kz650 fork. But would this be safe? I mean do they make the axels for the kz650 fatter because the bike is heavier than a kz440? If not, this may be the easiest mod. I have to tear into it to see also if the OD of the bearings are the same. Also I found a place called allballsracing.com which specialize in bearings for motorcycles. If they have any size, than I don't see why I can't just get some new bearings that are the OD size of the kz440 & ID size of the kz650. We will see...

I am switching my rear wheel from drum to drum...

How do I convert kz440 wheels to work on kz650 01 May 2006 16:55 #44252

• steell
  • User
Bearings are made in standard sizes, for every standard ID there is a matching standard OD.
I did a "lot" of research on bearings when I was contemplating a wheel swap.

I could spend the rest of the day typing all the bearing info, but I'll provide some links instead :)

Kawasaki wheel bearing list

McMaster Carr Scroll down to "Power Transmission, click on "Ball bearings" then at the top of the next page click on ABEC-1

Notes on Ball Bearings

www.bearings.machinedesign.com/

NTN America, a bearing manufacturer

A bearing selector, just put in the desire bore and OD

ABEC Spec defined

More than you ever wanted to know about bearings
KD9JUR

How do I convert kz440 wheels to work on kz650 01 May 2006 16:59 #44256

• elcid
  • User
damn steel, thanx so much! I appreciate the help. I hope I can make it work. I love these mags. I would rather just put in some new bearing cups that will allow me to use the 650 axel. Anyway, I will let you know more once I tear into the wheels...

How do I convert kz440 wheels to work on kz650 03 May 2006 00:21 #44703

• elcid
  • User
Damn I guess I cannot swap out the bearings. The ones on the kz440 have a slightly larger OD. I have determined that what I need is a 17 mm ID, 42 OD & 13 mm W. You seem to be right as far as the certain ID have matching OD. If I can't find "custom" bearings, I may have to do some sort of axel spacer thing. Although the axel on the KZ440 seems a bit shorter than the axle on the KZ650. I may have to get a longer axel too! Ah jeez, if I only had a KZ650 front wheel! The axles on the KZ440 & KZ650 rear wheel are supposedly the same size. We'll see. Maybe I'll look on Ebay for a cheap KZ650 front mag. You know anyone who does custom bearings?

How do I convert kz440 wheels to work on kz650 03 May 2006 01:22 #44707

• steell
  • User
No idea about custom bearings, I imagine they would be pretty expensive though.
I do have a KZ650SR front mag (2.15x19) that I have been thinking about listing on eBay :)
Most front KZ mags are 1.85 or 1.95 x 19, the SR is the only one I know of that uses the 2.15 x 19, there may be others that I am unaware of though.
KD9JUR

How do I convert kz440 wheels to work on kz650 03 May 2006 11:35 #44823

• elcid
  • User
SO I think I will try this. I will get a 17 inch ID with a 40 OD & 12 W. Then get a 2 mm shim to make it fit into a 42mm OD. My question is what Maximum RPM do I need?

How do I convert kz440 wheels to work on kz650 05 May 2006 00:38 #45219

• elcid
  • User
Ok Steel this is what I have found out; I got a 17 ID x 40 OD x 12 WD & a 2 mm shim ring (to make the OD 42 mm) from mcmastercarr & installed on my wheels & it seems fine. It fits snug but I am not sure if it will be secure. The shim ring does not go all the way around either. There is a gap of about 2 mm in the ring so I wonder if this will hurt it? Also it is hard to beleive that with all the pressure that these rings won't "give" or flex. I don't need flex in that area! Go to mcmasrercarr & type in 1055 in search box. You think these are safe to use with the bearings? Now it SEEMS fine but SEEMS may not be good enough when you are talking about my safety. Now I also called allballsracing.com & a very knowledgable guy there (mcmastercarr do not know of motorcycle applications) said I should get a 20 ID x 42 OD x 12 wd & then have a machinist make a spacer for the inside of the bearing to bring it to 17 mm. He said this would be the safer bet over the shim scenario. I may just return everything from mcmastercarr & go this route. I have to go to machinist to have him machine some spacers for the axel & cut down the axel sleeve that goes inside the hub. What are your thoughts here, Steel?

• Page: