Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Angle on rear wheel seems weird 06 Mar 2006 17:42 #28812

• ran429
  • ran429's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
  • Thank you received: 2
I see what the problem is I believe its "MY" fault afterall.
Look where I lifted the frame to lower it onto the motor.

Bad lifting habbit to avoid, spread this one around.

Post edited by: ran429, at: 2006/03/06 21:08
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Angle on rear wheel seems weird 06 Mar 2006 17:44 #28813

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
So I have so remount the wheel and hang the bike back on the Hoist from the other side I guess and jump on it to bend it back over?:angry:

Post edited by: ran429, at: 2006/03/06 21:10

Angle on rear wheel seems weird 06 Mar 2006 18:53 #28858

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I don't believe that lifting the frame in that manner bent it, the frame has to withstand much stronger forces under normal riding conditions without bending, I just can't believe the frame bent under it's own weight, it don't make any sense.
KD9JUR

Angle on rear wheel seems weird 06 Mar 2006 20:41 #28914

• wireman
  • Visitor
sorry about the install tip.:( when i do it i install just the frame with no front end or swingarm attached one person on each end of frame and lay it down over motor.what swingarms interchange with yours?if a 1000 will fit let me know and ill ship it out to you!:blush:

Angle on rear wheel seems weird 06 Mar 2006 22:49 #28941

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
steell wrote:

I don't believe that lifting the frame in that manner bent it, the frame has to withstand much stronger forces under normal riding conditions without bending, I just can't believe the frame bent under it's own weight, it don't make any sense.

Randy, I have to agree, I don't think there is anyway you bent the frame from lifting it. You would have had to jump on it while holding the engine in your arms (not saying you couldn't, I just don't think you did :) ).

The frames I've straightened didn't look like there was any crash damage. I wonder just how straight they came from the factory back then. One of my current rides is similar to what you have as far as frame alignmtent. I straightened the swingarm, which helped, but haven't gotten to the frame yet. It rides just fine.

I wouldn't toss that frame, it can still be useable, if not straightened.

Angle on rear wheel seems weird 07 Mar 2006 05:02 #28962

• Snakebyte
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I dont think that lifting that way bent the frame unless you ratcheted the strap a little too tight.
I have two 650 swingarms, and one with bearings installed. If you need them your welcome to um just pay for shipping. :)
Are you shure the frame is level? put a level on the top of frame.
In the first pic the backbone is not inline with the two holes in the rear of the frame for the fender mount. That can be due to not being inline with the frame when taking the pic.
Hope it is not bent:(

Angle on rear wheel seems weird 09 Mar 2006 21:37 #29757

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
wireman wrote:

sorry about the install tip.:( when i do it i install just the frame with no front end or swingarm attached one person on each end of frame and lay it down over motor.what swingarms interchange with yours?if a 1000 will fit let me know and ill ship it out to you!:blush:

If this will fit please let me know people?

Angle on rear wheel seems weird 09 Mar 2006 21:38 #29758

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
Snakebyte wrote:

I have two 650 swingarms, and one with bearings installed. If you need them your welcome to um just pay for shipping. :)
:(

Or if one of these will fit also please let me know.

Angle on rear wheel seems weird 10 Mar 2006 04:14 #29793

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
What does a straight edge between front and rear sprockets reveal?

If you tightened down the motor mounts with the thing hanging from the hoist or on it's side, maybe loosen, tighten, and measure again with the straight edge. Might see some difference.

I would not use tailpiece as a reference in measuring frame squareness.

-Duck

Angle on rear wheel seems weird 10 Mar 2006 15:51 #29959

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
today I took a bunch of photos with me to the Local Bike shop, I asked for technical advice from them there too & they ar saying spacers spacers spacers, But there isnt any way to put these in on the wrong side at all on the 81 - Kz750E, I am stumped bigtime, I even loosened the motor while the bike was level and retightened it. Remounted the swingarm and same thing, 1/2 inch out.

Drop line goes perfectly down the center of the frame and off the rear matching centerline all the way. But the wheel still sits off to the left.

They said at the chopper shop where they fabricate custom frames that it may have been made that way at the factory and me lifting it with the straps the way I did couldnt have done the offset ever, they said I could roll over the swingarm with a semi (almost) and it wouldnt have done it. So I am just goingto throw it together quickly, repaint the bodywork and shim all the body parts to center the tire i guess ?

Rather than get all whiney any further, I will just put it back together and sell it to someone. (yes I will show them my issues with the bike before selling it).

I will take the truck money and the bike money and put it towards a sportster project somehow instead. and look around on the side of houses while I ride the Yamaha for another KZ.