Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Brake Caliper Piston Pitting - How much is too much? 09 Feb 2006 05:54 #22691

• skippr76KZ
  • skippr76KZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Great question on the caliper bores wireman. I hadn't thought of that. There's no appearance of pitting at all. However, I hadn't really paid attention. The inside of the bores had collected powdercoat. So on some bores there is some powdercoat creating a small unevenness and on two other calibers the entire bore is powdercoated. I suspect this might cause me some issues? Or not? Should I sand/dremmel them out? This could be a bummer. Pic attached.
1976 KZ900LTD Fully Restored
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Brake Caliper Piston Pitting - How much is too much? 09 Feb 2006 05:56 #22692

• skippr76KZ
  • User
Another pic.
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone
Attachments:

Brake Caliper Piston Pitting - How much is too much? 09 Feb 2006 06:09 #22694

• wireman
  • Visitor
be carefull grinding on the inside of those bores you might end up eggshaping the inside and have major leaks,ask your powdercoater what is the best way to remove.they should have masked that off when they coated your parts:(

Brake Caliper Piston Pitting - How much is too much? 09 Feb 2006 09:40 #22722

• skippr76KZ
  • User
Another Gotcha apparently. This was a case of the blind leading the blind. I didn't know enough to ask him to mask. He didn't mask because I didn't ask him to mask. I had this all done last year and am just discovering my mistakes. I'll try a few well placed paint remover scrubs with a small 3M pad and see what happens.
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

Brake Caliper Piston Pitting - How much is too much? 09 Feb 2006 12:10 #22743

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Don't use a stone inside the bores on your Dremmel. Use a wire brush attachment. You might try using some acetone to soften up the powdercoat then use the brush while it is wet.

Parts n More might have replacement brake parts... you just need to check as they sometimes list stuff that isn't in stock (as do all sellers I guess). Cycle Re Cycle and American Classix are also places you can check. I have done a LITTLE business with Cycle Re Cycle and they are alright.

If you get REALLY stuck, you can always buy another set of forks with the calipers from another bike. I have 79 LTD forks/brakes on my 76 and quite frankly they look better than the 76 LTD double front brakes as the 79 brakes sit at the back rather than the front. ALMOST all the KZs have 36mm forks I think but if you get the triple trees it doesn't really matter. This is if you can't find new brake parts as those scored up things will probably ruin your brakes. I am not sure about where someone could find a "metalurgist welder"...
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Brake Caliper Piston Pitting - How much is too much? 09 Feb 2006 19:17 #22841

• tfh903
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Put them in a carberator cleaner, that may eat off the powder coat and not hurt the metal. A good small parts welder person can braze the pits.. If you can't find one around there you can send them to me, I have a fellow down the road that I haven't found anything that he hasn't been able to weld better than new. I'v seen him weld holes in my 9n ford tractor exhaust the I could put a beer can thru, and he fixed my collecters on my headers (gmc truck) and they haven't leaked for years just to name a couple of things. I call him an electro/machanical "nurd".

• Page: