Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Melting Wires During a Jump 16 Aug 2006 11:25 #69979

• 77Davo650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
The EXACT same thing happened to me. I took the old bike home, put in a new battery, and noticed some smoke coming up from under the battery (the rectifier on my bike is under the battery box). I thought, hmmm, this is not right, but silly me started the bike up anyways. Yeah, it ran great for about 30 seconds right up until the same wires you mentioned turned bright red, burnt all the insulation off, and fried my harness. It was the rectifier, but the connections were so corroded and possibly had some bad ground somewhere which was the cause.

If you burnt the wires, you can try to follow them up into the harness and replace them, but chances are they burnt up in there also and possibly fused a few other wires together. I just said screw it and made myself a new harness and rectifier, and I was good to go.
77 KZ650 C1 (sold)
78 KZ650 B2 (sold)
78 KZ400 B1 (sold)
78 kz400 C1 (resto-mod)
78 kz400 C1 (hardtail low chop)
couple of possible project kz's in parts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Melting Wires During a Jump 16 Aug 2006 15:41 #70041

• CliffordBRD
  • CliffordBRD's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I was thinking of replacing the whole harness. I suppose I could build one though that doesn't sound easy.

For cars there are a number companies that build harnesses (painlesswiring.com for example). Anyone know of a source for getting a new one? I hate to think what Kawasaki would charge. They want $177 for the rectifier and $240 for a regulator. Ouch.

Melting Wires During a Jump 16 Aug 2006 16:37 #70058

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I bet that if you asked around you would find someone with a spare reg/rec :P
KD9JUR

Melting Wires During a Jump 16 Aug 2006 19:17 #70100

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 239
CliffordBRD wrote:

I was thinking of replacing the whole harness. I suppose I could build one though that doesn't sound easy.

For cars there are a number companies that build harnesses (painlesswiring.com for example). Anyone know of a source for getting a new one? I hate to think what Kawasaki would charge. They want $177 for the rectifier and $240 for a regulator. Ouch.

Like I said before, your model does not use a rectifier and a regulator. This was only used on 1977 KZ650. 1978-up used one combined unit called the regulator/rectifier, so the dealer may be giving you parts pricing for the wrong parts.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Melting Wires During a Jump 16 Aug 2006 22:30 #70149

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
RonKZ650 wrote:

CliffordBRD wrote:

Like I said before, your model does not use a rectifier and a regulator. This was only used on 1977 KZ650. 1978-up used one combined unit called the regulator/rectifier, so the dealer may be giving you parts pricing for the wrong parts.

And, a look on Ebay will usually turn something up for $50 or so. That reg/rec is used on other Kaws too. I think the 1980 550's had it (1981 went to 3-phase). And I think some of the 440's used it. The connectors may be different, but if you can splice wires, you should be ok.

Melting Wires During a Jump 16 Aug 2006 22:57 #70153

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
Go to Z1Enterprises.com , Jeff will have one to you in 3 or 4 days.
Ride safe,
Les
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

Melting Wires During a Jump 17 Aug 2006 05:25 #70188

• CliffordBRD
  • CliffordBRD's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
RonKZ650 wrote:

CliffordBRD wrote:

I hear you. I looked on Kawasaki.com at the parts diagrams and they listed two part numbers. I looked on Z1 and like you said, it's combined.

I don't suppose you would know the actual part number would you? I guess I just need it as a reference. It may be (according to Milkman) easier and safer to just go with Jeff at Z1 albeit a bit more expensive.

Thank you all for your help.

Post edited by: CliffordBRD, at: 2006/08/17 08:27

Melting Wires During a Jump 17 Aug 2006 07:40 #70222

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 239
Part # is 21066-029. Sells for a mere $280.60 at www.bikebandit.com
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Melting Wires During a Jump 18 Aug 2006 14:52 #70711

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
This is what I did, right or wrong, but I researched it enough from this website, and I feel confident and so far it works great for thousands of miles...

When I converted from points to electronic ignition I bought the ignition from a 550 and a combined reg/rectifier from a 750 that had electronic ignition.

What I'm saying is that different model kz 4cylinder reg/rect will work on the 650 engine, as loudhvc points out, but I would stick with a reg/rec from a points bike if thats what you have for ignition.

When you locate a reg/rec keep the same number of wires going in and coming out, I think some have different amounts, not sure tho'...
If you know what model the new reg/rec comes from then you can dig up a wire diagram from that bike and compare it to a wire diagram for your bike, the colors won't match but the function will be ok and at least you will know how to match the connections up.

You should be able to find a used one on ebay for a lot less than $50, but you take your chances with used electronics. I happened to get lucky.

I just did a search on ebay with "regulator rectifier kz" in the search box, and there are quite a few for sale, especially for the 650, check it out.

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2006/08/18 18:06
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• Page: