• Page:

TOPIC:

160 MPH Electric Speedometer (Rare) 08 Jun 2021 13:37 #849837

• daveo
  • daveo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 622
Can this speedometer type be repaired?

This is an electric speedo, not mechanical.  I've been running this meter on my 82 KZ1100 four years with no problem, and it has just developed an erratic needle issue.
I tested it with a different harness, which did not correct the problem.  So I assume there is something going on inside that needs attention.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

160 MPH Electric Speedometer (Rare) 08 Jun 2021 14:47 #849840

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
Have you test the speedometer sending divice (sensor)? Any pics? What´s the problem, bouncing  needle?
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

Last edit: by Scirocco.

160 MPH Electric Speedometer (Rare) 08 Jun 2021 20:01 #849863

• daveo
  • Premium Member

Have you test the speedometer sending divice (sensor)? Any pics? What´s the problem, bouncing  needle?

Checked everything I could think of, and installed my old (essentially nos) 85 MPH speedometer that I had on the bike for one month before swapping it out for the 160.
The 85 worked perfect when hooked up to the 160 wiring harness, so that test essentially isolated the erratic-bouncing needle problem to the speedo unit itself. 

I have that 85 MPH speedo unit reinstalled on the bike, and can already tell from a short ride today that it will take some getting used to.

1982 KZ1100-A2

160 MPH Electric Speedometer (Rare) 08 Jun 2021 20:03 #849865

• ckahleer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 130
When you say you tested it with a different harness, do you mean different sending unit? My understanding of electronic speedometers is that the frequency of electrical pulses from the sending unit determines speed. 
79 KZ400
82 KZ305
85 VF1100c
85 VT 500c

160 MPH Electric Speedometer (Rare) 09 Jun 2021 07:49 #849876

• daveo
  • Premium Member

When you say you tested it with a different harness, do you mean different sending unit? My understanding of electronic speedometers is that the frequency of electrical pulses from the sending unit determines speed. 

Everything works properly up to the speedometer unit itself.  This was verified by connecting my old (essentially new) 85 MPH speedo unit to the same wiring harness. 
The sending unit is working properly.

Question is, are the electric speedo units able to be dismantled and repaired?  If so, I need to find a capable source (in the USA) to fix it. 
If not, then perhaps it's ebay time.

1982 KZ1100-A2

160 MPH Electric Speedometer (Rare) 09 Jun 2021 08:23 #849880

• ghostdive
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
I'm not familiar with your particular unit, but my general outlook is that anything is repairable - if you're thinking of replacing it anyway, may as well crack into it and see if there's a bad solder spot or something. 
1982 KZ750 Spectre - 6 speed swap, BS34s, 18" rear wheel

2001 ZX-6R

160 MPH Electric Speedometer (Rare) 09 Jun 2021 09:18 #849883

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
BAD DIODE?

160 MPH Electric Speedometer (Rare) 09 Jun 2021 09:19 #849884

• daveo
  • Premium Member

I'm not familiar with your particular unit, but my general outlook is that anything is repairable - if you're thinking of replacing it anyway, may as well crack into it and see if there's a bad solder spot or something.

I think it was early 2017 when I got the 160 speedometer via some horse trading with a fellow forum member. 
As it came, the case was in poor and unusable condition.  I had a nice spare 85 case with a faulty speedo inside, so I swapped the guts and ended up with a nice working thing.

Images 4/10/2017

While apart, I was very apprehensive about touching the components for their complex appearance.  So I would prefer to leave the tinkering to an expert...or just sell it (as-is) to some other adventurous soul.

Image 4/16/2017

Image 4/19/2017 (85 MPH Junked Speedo Guts)

Image 4/19/2017 (85 MPH Ditto)

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

Last edit: by daveo.

160 MPH Electric Speedometer (Rare) 09 Jun 2021 11:04 #849894

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494

While apart, I was very apprehensive about touching the components for their complex appearance.  So I would prefer to leave the tinkering to an expert...or just sell it (as-is) to some other adventurous soul.

I would start by contacting Z-Resto (zresto.com/) and see if they work on electronic gauges.  It may be that they only do the mechanical gauges.

If they turn you away, I'd be curious to take a look at it and try to fix it.  When you swapped the guts, how did you crimp the ring that holds the case halves together.  Would it be pretty easy to open it up again?
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Last edit: by DOHC.

160 MPH Electric Speedometer (Rare) 09 Jun 2021 11:26 #849896

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
The easiest way is to switch the electronic boards. Only two solder joints (black and red wire).
Sometimes re-soldering all connections on the board with fresh tin bring it back to life. 

Last edit: by Scirocco.

160 MPH Electric Speedometer (Rare) 09 Jun 2021 13:24 #849907

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494

Sometimes re-soldering all connections on the board with fresh tin bring it back to life. 

That's what I was thinking.  All of the components on that boards look pretty simple other than the IC.  But my guess is that if the gauge is somewhat working, the IC is probably ok, as they don't usually fail half-way.  I suppose some of the capacitors could have failed.  But most simple devices like this have a very long life. 

I'm guessing that is an analog meter movement (not a stepper motor).  Is there a damper in the meter movement?  Do they go bad?  Can they be fixed?
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

160 MPH Electric Speedometer (Rare) 09 Jun 2021 15:20 #849918

• daveo
  • Premium Member

I would start by contacting Z1 Resto (zresto.com/) and see if they work on electronic gauges.  It may be that they only do the mechanical gauges.

If they turn you away, I'd be curious to take a look at it and try to fix it.  When you swapped the guts, how did you crimp the ring that holds the case halves together.  Would it be pretty easy to open it up again?

The ring fit snugly into a cutout in a piece of 1.125" MDF, and was supported by a strip of thin plastic sheet wrapped against the hole perimeter under it.  After fitting the case pieces into the hole, I used a hammer and wood to force the back of the ring over the assembled case halves, and followed that with a flat tip screwdriver to press it flat.
Viewed from the back the crimp job looks somewhat shy of professional, but in my way of thinking that part of the ring would be rarely if ever seen anyway.
The crimp ring would pry up quite easily using the same jig, but that was tossed out when I closed my shop that October.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

Last edit: by daveo.
  • Page: