Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

brighter replacement bulbs 05 Sep 2014 21:10 #646387

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationLED are pricey.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

brighter replacement bulbs 05 Sep 2014 21:40 #646388

• zero10
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
HID is from $35 to $70 for a single unit, LED is from about $75 to $180 per unit. Yeah they're pricey but if they give awesome light without overloading the charging system they are money well spent. I have no experience with them so really I can't say.
-

brighter replacement bulbs 05 Sep 2014 22:21 #646389

• saprophyte00
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1

LineArtist wrote: Awesome find...!

BTW, when your headlight burns out you can always turn on your high beam bulb to get home safely. That's one reason I don't recommend to the chop project to get rid of that extra switch.

True...if my high beam hadn't been burned out when I got the bike...and the low was pretty dim so i just avoided riding Matilda at night. That night I got caught out a little later than I wanted. My fault for riding a bike that wasn't 100%, never again. And zero, I don't have an answer for your question, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in. The specs between the wagner and napa match up, but... I can say that Line is right, and compared to the old Stanley that was in my bike, amazeballs is a definite understatement indeed!

brighter replacement bulbs 06 Sep 2014 00:06 #646393

• bountyhunter
  • User

zero10 wrote: HID is from $35 to $70 for a single unit, LED is from about $75 to $180 per unit. Yeah they're pricey but if they give awesome light without overloading the charging system they are money well spent. I have no experience with them so really I can't say.

I don't have experience with LED, but I wonder about reliability. The first ones needed fairly substantial heatsinks on them. LED lights also require solid state switching converters to provide a constant current drive for the LEDs.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

brighter replacement bulbs 06 Sep 2014 06:08 #646395

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1630

zero10 wrote: I have a 82 KZ750H which has the H4 light with a replaceable bulb. I don't see too many recommendations for stock wattage replacement H4 bulbs, but the H6024 seems to be very highly recommended.....

I tried out the H4 on my bike and it is scary dim, utterly useless in my opinion and very very orange....

If your H4 bulb is dim, then something is wrong: dirty/cloudy lens unit? old/bad bulb? wrong/low wattage?? bad wiring or poor connections??? I went from a stock dim sealed beam to a halogen headlight from your model bike & it is plenty bright, and certainly brighter than the old original that was on my 81 650-CSR..

The Wagner unit is recommended because it's superior to the old dim stock sealed beam headlight that came on many models, mostly from the 70s. Yours came stock w a halogen headlight, so it should be good already.

If you still want to install the Wagner H6024, it should be a direct swap: if the swap works the other way, then it ought to work in reverse (see my reply on pg 1 ). You just remove the lens unit, H4 bulb, & maybe the dust cover, then install the sealed beam unit. It should be easy.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

brighter replacement bulbs 10 Sep 2014 19:26 #647088

• LineArtist
  • User
  • Thank you received: 35
I'm very disappointed to say my new Wagner H6024 low bulb has burned out in less than 2 weeks. Bad luck, poor shipping, factory seconds, I don't know.

Extremely disappointed.

and then this happened after noticing the light was out...
'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R

brighter replacement bulbs 10 Sep 2014 19:46 #647091

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
It makes me wonder - obviously it could be just a bad bulb, but it might be worth running a quick check of the charging system (very easy to do with volt meter) just to make sure the regulator isn't letting too much voltage through. Also, if the rubber dampers in the headlight mount are old they may not be soft enough to dampen the vibration. These things are probably worth checking out before installing another bulb of any brand Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

brighter replacement bulbs 10 Sep 2014 20:28 #647098

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 636
:(
1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: by daveo.

brighter replacement bulbs 10 Sep 2014 20:30 #647100

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 636

LineArtist wrote: I'm very disappointed to say my new Wagner H6024 low bulb has burned out in less than 2 weeks. Bad luck, poor shipping, factory seconds, I don't know.

Extremely disappointed.

The Wagner 6024 I ordered came in the mail today, and was installed this evening. Come to find out the low beam on this one is bad too. The low beam shows light, but it is extremely dim. I've messaged the seller already, and hopefully he will simply send me another one. Otherwise, its back to old Stanley...

After double checking the connection, it now works...must have made inadequate electrical contact initially. :)
1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: by daveo. Reason: update problem status.

brighter replacement bulbs 10 Sep 2014 22:06 #647110

• bountyhunter
  • User

LineArtist wrote: I'm very disappointed to say my new Wagner H6024 low bulb has burned out in less than 2 weeks. Bad luck, poor shipping, factory seconds, I don't know.

Extremely disappointed.

and then this happened after noticing the light was out...

Be sure to check voltage reg. If it is letting the system voltage go too high, it will kill bulbs quickly. Rev the engine to about 3K and the battery voltage should never exceed about 14.5V.
1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

brighter replacement bulbs 10 Sep 2014 22:10 #647111

• bountyhunter
  • User

daveo wrote:

Extremely disappointed.

The Wagner 6024 I ordered came in the mail today, and was installed this evening. Come to find out the low beam on this one is bad too. The low beam shows light, but it is extremely dim. ...

Sounds like some kind of resistance in the path feeding the power to the bulb like the bulb's connector is corroded, harness connectors corroded, but also could be the high/low beam switch. The simple way to diagnose: turn the low beam on and use a voltmeter to read the voltages as you walk from the battery feed through the switches to the bulb.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

brighter replacement bulbs 12 Sep 2014 11:16 #647263

• LineArtist
  • User
  • Thank you received: 35
Ebey seller started giving me a hard etime because the ebulb lasted about a week. Said his mechanic friend only puts Harley lights on the bikes he has worked on for the past 40 years. Contacted Wagner and they said they were aware the products are not being used solely on cars and if bought at a distributor the product would be exchanged for a new one.

I replied back saying I know at least 12 riders that swear by Wagner on their vintage KZ's. A new bulb is being sent to me as we speak.
'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R