Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ750t no juice!!! Problem solved!!! 30 Jun 2006 15:02 #58341

• vic44139
  • vic44139's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Dudes, I need some expert advice. Have a 1980 KZ750t. Been running fine then in the last two weeks I sometimes get no electric at all. And now the mutha ufcker is dead as a Hoffa.

Starter switch is in "On" position.

Key in ignition and in "on" position

No juice at all. Nothing lights up at all. Wont turn over.

Have a brand new battery and installed correctly.

Checked the fuses...they are fine, however no juice at the fuse box either. Could it be the cylinoid?

HELP me please.

Post edited by: vic44139, at: 2006/06/30 18:05

Post edited by: vic44139, at: 2006/07/03 23:19

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ750t no juice!!! 30 Jun 2006 15:10 #58342

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
I would suggest to first check voltage at the battery using a multimeter. Then check the conections at the battery andd make sure they are tight and clean. I have had the same thing as you with a negative battery connection which look fine but was actually loose. Check the voltage between the positive battery terminal and the frame. If zero then check the lead which connects to the neg terminal at one end then to the frame. Hopefully it's something that simple. After that you probably want to investigate from the battery to the ignition switch.
Good luck
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

KZ750t no juice!!! 30 Jun 2006 19:15 #58380

• vic44139
  • User
rechecked and replaced old connectors...still nothing. i dont have a meter. i crossed a screwdriver across both posts on the cylinoid and got major shockage...lol.

can ignition switches go bad? any other ideas?

KZ750t no juice!!! 30 Jun 2006 19:29 #58382

• jbw7300
  • User
  • you can't ride if your fried
yes your ignition switch can go bad, thats where i would check next
84 kz 700 a1 sports

KZ750t no juice!!! 30 Jun 2006 23:23 #58437

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Check the connector that feeds the ignition switch, there are a bunch of wires going to it and it's near the headlight. I had a 750 twin that melted the main power pin at that connector due to corrosion.
KD9JUR

KZ750t no juice!!! 01 Jul 2006 08:37 #58492

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
no power? start at the battery. check the lead to the solenoid, next check the white wire going to the fuse block this is where corrosion will get you. the white wire turnes into white with red stripe after the fuse. MAIN POWER . it is a divide and conquer type of solution. all electricity starts at the battery goes to the fuse block then to the switch and ends in the ground (frame) soo if no juice at the white fuse it is a short trip back to the battery.

Post edited by: trippivot, at: 2006/07/01 11:38

KZ750t no juice!!! 01 Jul 2006 11:02 #58529

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
vic44139 wrote:

........i dont have a meter............

If no meter then can you rig up a 12 volt bulb to a couple of wires - sort of a crude circuit tester ?
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

KZ750t no juice!!! 01 Jul 2006 15:25 #58563

• vic44139
  • User
Okay, here is where I stand to this point. I started at the battery.

1. the battery is brand spanking new with a full charge.
2. replaced battery cables (thought it was wierd that the neg was grounded on the engine, But thats how its been working).
3. I removed the ignition switch and checked it over. Hell, I even took it apart and sandpapered the copper connectors. Even took the time to figure out how to hotwire a bike (may come in handy someday...lol). Put it back together and reinstalled.
4. Followed the cable going from soleniod to starter. Removed and cleaned it up with sandpaper.
5. Went back to the solinoid and pulled it off. Unbolted all leads andit was the cleanest connections so far. I went ahead and checked that white lead wire that comes off the solinoid at the positive connection. Followed it down to where is has a double lead connector. It was really corroded. Cleaned it up as best I could. Wasn't satifiied and desided to just snip off the leads and did a direct connect with a twister cap.
6. Pulled off the regulator and other then looking like it was 26 years old. Put it back on. Didnt look bad at the connectors.
7. Tried to start it...nothing. STILL NO JUICE!!!
8. Thru the battery charger on it again and left it on for about an hour...NOTHING AGAIN. Noticed my charger had a start button to jump start cars. Flipped it to it and the beast awoke right up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9. Took it out for a test ride and everything was going fine until.........I heard a loud pop under the seat. The bike then coasted to a dead stop with no electrical power again. Had my son tow my back home.
10. The pop was the battery caps that blew off!!!. Luckily didnt get a major acid spill.
11. Decided to pull off the solinoid again (for some reason my Spidy Sense was going off). In the process of taking the solinoid apart to see what is on the inside...I broke a wire.
12. Went on EBAY and found a BUY NOW for $39. Now I have to wait till later this week to replace it.

Well, thats it. I am so frustrated with it but yet, I WILL NOT BE BEAT EITHER!

Now I am thinking it is the Regulator/Rectifier...ANY THOUGHTS?

By the way, thanx for all the help guys.

Post edited by: vic44139, at: 2006/07/01 19:15

KZ750t no juice!!! 01 Jul 2006 18:11 #58592

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I had one go up in my face!!! It's called free gassing- the Hyrdogen gas blows!! Bad battery and possible overcharging problem.

KZ750t no juice!!! 01 Jul 2006 19:06 #58609

• vic44139
  • User
yeah it was loud. so, do u think i have a regulator problem? at this rate i will be replacing everything...lol.:laugh:

KZ750t no juice!!! 02 Jul 2006 09:40 #58707

• kz750man
  • User
man i noticed you were in Cleveland and i have 2 kz750b1 's and they have simular problems. when u figure it out let me know. also if u can help me get mine running it would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron
Attachments:

KZ750t no juice!!! 02 Jul 2006 10:24 #58711

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
The yellow one looks like it has Morris Mags on it, does the rear wheel have a cush hub or is the sprocket bolted directly to the adapter?
KD9JUR

• Page: