Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Charging System Issues 08 May 2011 16:35 #449649

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Kaw900 wrote: ...positive battery cable with exposing copper. It could have oxidation not allowing a strong current back to the battery. Gonna purchase a new one and replace it....

Can't hurt to replace the cable, but unless the exposed copper is allowing a short to ground, I don't suspect it would be a problem, or related to the insufficient charging condition.

Typically, insufficient charging is due to an issue with the alternator and/or the regulator, or the wiring associated with them.

Over-charging is often due to an issue with the regulator.

Here's an excerpt from the Z1/KZ900 FSM:

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charging System Issues 08 May 2011 16:50 #449652

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
Because of the new combo rec/reg and new stator, am more suspicious of the wiring and connections between these components, and would assure integrity of ground wire from the combo unit.

As MFolks suggested earlier, one of the connectors in the wiring may be crusty, for example where the combo ground wire connects into a chassis ground wire. Which might be causing a problem, because the combo unit does require a good ground in order to properly function.

I've successfully run a combo unit (the plug-in version) from Z1E for many years.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

Charging System Issues 10 May 2011 08:52 #450044

• Kaw900
  • Kaw900's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

Attachment Terminal.jpg not found

Hey Guy's,
Yesterday I went through all the tests again on the Stator and it all checked out. Then i went through the wiring harness disconneting non-vitals looking for a spike in voltage with no luck. Finally i decided to peel back the installation on the possitive battery terminal which should have been the first thing i did and to my surprise the copper was un-wound and alot of splits in the wire. This could very well be why when i raised the RPM's i would get a spike in voltage because it was trying to push as much current through such little contact. I already ordered a new cable and should have it installed by friday. I will let you know the result by then. See the picture.
Attachments:

Charging System Issues 10 May 2011 11:40 #450081

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I had the same problem and replaced everything like you have. Turns out I had a bad coil. Put a set of Dyna's on and fixed it.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Charging System Issues 10 May 2011 16:27 #450136

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Your picture shows what can and does happen on cars too. The battery acid attacks anything around the vent areas when the battery goes through a discharge-charge cycle.

I'd check where the clear battery vent hose is routed, if no hose, most hardware stores have a selection of clear hoses that will work. Maybe 3/16" or 1/4" I.D. is what you'll need.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Charging System Issues 13 May 2011 19:40 #450776

• Kaw900
  • User
Ok Guy's,
I replaced the possitive battery terminal today and still no luck. Still idling at 12.1 volts. I again took the regulator rectifier combo unit out of the good bike and installed it in this bike with again no luck. So i've out ruled the battery, stator, regulator rectifier, went through the wiring harness. Would the coils be an issue with the charging system?

Charging System Issues 13 May 2011 20:31 #450782

• Patton
  • KZr Legend

Kaw900 wrote: ...Still idling at 12.1 volts. I again took the regulator rectifier combo unit out of the good bike and installed it in this bike with again no luck. So I've out ruled the battery, stator, regulator rectifier, went through the wiring harness. Would the coils be an issue with the charging system?

If not already done, would remove battery, assure fluid levels are correct, charge it overnight, then have it load-tested, even if it's a brand new battery.

Imo, it's unlikely that the coils are an issue with the charging system.

The FSM covers individual tests for the alternator (dynamo) output, and rectifier and regulator functions.

As known, charging starts with the alternator (aka dynamo), which needs good wiring in the stator (no short or break), and a rotor with sufficient magnetism.

Even with a perfect stator, a low alternator output may result from a loss in rotor magnetism, which may be caused by dropping the rotor or hitting the rotor, or just old age of the rotor.

I don't know how to specifically test or measure for sufficient magnetism in the rotor.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Charging System Issues 13 May 2011 20:36 #450783

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
:unsure: Is there a good ground connection where the negative battery cable attaches to rear of engine?

The rectifier also needs a good ground connection.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Charging System Issues 13 May 2011 21:13 #450793

• Kaw900
  • User
I swithced the battery with a good battery from my other bike, still the same problem. Now i am steering towards the ignition switch. Gotta be something grounding out. Stator and rectifer all checked out as well as the regulator.

Charging System Issues 13 May 2011 22:08 #450810

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
It might be, the switch gets a lot of vibration and wear over the years.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Charging System Issues 14 May 2011 10:42 #450906

• Kaw900
  • User
Is there a way to see how many amps are being drawn from my battery when i turn the ignition switch on? If so i can cross reference those numbers with my good bike and probally narrow it down.

Charging System Issues 14 May 2011 11:06 #450911

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
Most test meters will be able to test for 10AMPs. Digital or Analog, this is the normal limit built in most of them. So you may have to do 1 circuit at a time and not the total draw at once. If you have a Harbor Freight/ China Tools close by, they would have meters, or they have a in dash mount AMP meter that you can test the full amount of draw and charge Amperage, good for 50 AMPs. I set one up for checking my stuff with some 10 Gauge wire and heavy duty clips.
If interested here's the thread, kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/388730-ju...cking-system-current
It also leads to two threads, one for single phase, the other three phase charging system tests.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Last edit: by Motor Head.