Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Intermittent loss of spark on #1 & 4 cylinders 26 Jun 2007 16:01 #152927

• apeman
  • apeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I would first check all of the wiring from the pick-up unit (under what was the points cover) to the end. If that all checks out, I would then swap the coils, and see if the problem shifts to the other two cylinders. If it does, then the problem is a bad coil. If it does not, then the problem is likely the pick-up unit. If you have an extra unit, switch it out, and see if the problem goes away.

All electronic ignition systems, OEM and aftermarket, have a pick-up unit (sometimes called pick-up coils). The pick-up unit is a small megnet and coil setup that generates an electronic pulse with each turn of the crankshaft. It is basically a more modern version of the points that were used on earlier model bikes and cars If you have an aftermarket ignition system installed, do not presume the other components will work with the OEM pick-up unit. It might, but it might not.
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: