Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Weak spark still... 19 Feb 2006 16:33 #24981

• KZReeder
  • KZReeder's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1

Well, it's been about a month since anybody replied here...anybody got any good news yet?? I don't. I hafta admit, I've been a slug; drinking lots of beer, and hoping the bike will fix itself

:whistle: Gotta admit, I'm a little embarrassed myself... haven't done a thing to the bike since I posted the original question/comment.:pinch:

Working too much lately... gotta knock it off and get some play time in... it's been too long since I've thrown a wrench accross the shop... time for some therapy :)

I'm hoping to get down to the shop next weekend... being that it's -1 outside around here, we're kinda huddled up this weekend.

-Claude

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Weak spark still... 24 Feb 2006 07:21 #26093

• rammy
  • User
I had the same problem last summer and pulled my hair out.What I found was that the charging system was acting goofy (would charge then it wouldnt)with this going on it would run fine for the 1st 20 or 30 minutes and then start fouling plugs.There is a soild state unit out there for the charging system that replaces the regulator and the rectifier.after that problem was corrected the little girl came back to life till 1 coil went south on me.I would check into the charging system my self and make sure that there is 12+ volts at the coils at all times.
The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

Weak spark still... 24 Feb 2006 08:56 #26105

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I got to ask the dumb question, how are you seeing a weak spark? .
One of the things you said was a new mac exhaust, did you rejet the carbs for this? maybe its running way rich and fouling out the plugs?
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Weak spark still... 24 Feb 2006 08:58 #26106

• BSKZ650
  • User
thought of something else, have you checked the timing, could be retarded,
76 kz900, just waiting

Weak spark still... 26 Feb 2006 19:15 #26670

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
The aftermarket exhaust should make it run leaner if you didnt rejet, but if you did rejet, you may have gone to high.
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Weak spark still... 27 Feb 2006 07:01 #26745

• Wild and KZ Guy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I checked the timing, both statically and with a timing light, after I installed the Dyna ignition.
I don't think it's the carbs at this point for several reasons; the first being that I got them from WiredGeorge and he tested them and set them up on his bike with an exhaust similar to mine. Also, a couple of times the bike started & ran almost perfectly.
So it seems it is an intermittent problem, which points to electrical, rather than a jetting problem. I do appreciate your giving it some thought though, thanks.
When I get a little time here & there, I've started to go thru and clean up or replace any loose or corroded connections. From what I've been researching, I'm thinking I'll probably hafta go to an upgraded/aftermarket rectifier/regulator setup. Does anyone know where I can get one? I checked around, it doesn't look like they make one for a '77, since they are separate components on that year bike.
A couple of Old School Minibikes
1980 LTD KZ650 E1

Weak spark still... 27 Feb 2006 09:43 #26779

• rammy
  • User
I did the upgrade from the regulator / rectifier system to the soild state (updated) last year. What a world of differance it made.I got mine through a local performance shop.There is a listing in the Dennis Kirk catalog I have the part # for a 77 kz 650b1 is 20-1268 (page 506 in the 2005 catalog) at the tune of $120.The only thing you have to watch out for when ordering is to make sure if it is a generator system or an alternator system. Good luck finding the electral gremlin.
Chicago area-south burbs

Weak spark still... 27 Feb 2006 14:34 #26840

• BSKZ650
  • User
ok, have you put a volt meter on the charging system to see what it is putting out?
76 kz900, just waiting

Weak spark still... 28 Feb 2006 06:26 #27034

• rammy
  • User
the voltage at the battery is between 13 and 14.5 after the engine was fired and the charging system engaged with the new upgraded system (soild state)with the old system i was lucky to get 12.5volts at the battery.With the charging system only putting out 12.5 volts running the lights i was only ably to get about a 1/2 hr of riding in before I started fouling the plugs due to low voltage going to the coils that was after installing a new battery and the old regulator/rectifier system.If you have a service manual it will give you the proceedure on checking you charging system.If not here it is to check the dynamo disconnect yellow wires under engine sprocket cover ,hook up meter set on 250 AC volt and check the output @ 4000 rpms it should be about 75 volts AC.Check in all combinations between all 3 wires.Good luck
Chicago area-south burbs

Weak spark still... 28 Feb 2006 12:43 #27133

• BSKZ650
  • User
sounds cool, I am thinking about checking my 650, just for grins, I know I am rich on the jets, took off a header and put on a stock system
76 kz900, just waiting

Weak spark still... 19 Mar 2006 13:01 #32562

• Wild and KZ Guy
  • User
OK, haven't messed with it in a month or so. Last week, I got my new rectifier/regulator from Dennis Kirk & installed it. It doesn't appear to have made any difference. But I would've upgraded sooner or later anyway.
When reading the following, keep in mind that I live in Florida, so the bike is always kept at 60-80 degrees (the engine never gets cold, only cool).
So here's what I got: It will only start using starting fluid(when cool), and I have to spray it another one or two times to keep it running til it idles/revs. After that, it will start and run for the rest of the day. I rode it today for about an hour. It doesn't idle smoothly. It accelerates ok, but doesn't have the balls it should. If I try to just cruise, it likes a lower gear/higher RPM or else it stumbles and misses etc. The warmer the engine, the better it runs. Once in awhile, upon starting, it will backfire. When I put a timing light on it, it'll flash on cyls 1 & 4 - will not flash at all on cyls 2 & 3. So I can only check the timing statically on 2 & 3. 1 & 4 are timed perfectly. When I lay the plugs on the head, they all spark fine. When I use my inline spark checking device, whichs uses a bulb, all cyls will light the light! That's what really kills me! Why does the timing light not light??
The gas is good, and I have fresh WG carbs, new battery, WG coil upgrade, new Dyna coils, new Dyna ignition, new Dyna plug wires & ends, new NGK B7ES plugs, new rect/regulator, new Mac 4:1 exhaust, stock airbox.
All 4 exh pipes are hot after running it, so I know 2 & 3 are firing, though maybe not at the precise time. Sure seems like a timing problem to me. Any ideas? Especially, any ideas as to the timing light situation??
1980 LTD KZ650 E1

Weak spark still... 22 Mar 2006 08:59 #33373

• Wild and KZ Guy
  • User
Hey Rammy, I forgot to thank you for the great info. Saved a lot of time for me, in tracking down the new electrics for my machine.
I just wanted to add an update to my previous post, in case anyone else was experiencing the same (timing light) problem; I cleaned the #2 & 3 plugs, and now the light fires on those! So I was able to check my timing with it running.
I'm sorry to say, that the timing was perfect, even the 'advance' marks lined up perfectly at higher RPMs. I was actually hoping for the timing to be off, at least then I could fix it.
Anyway, that was late last night. I haven't got to RUN the bike yet since..

Post edited by: Wild & KZ Guy, at: 2006/03/22 12:22
1980 LTD KZ650 E1