Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ 650 B batt overflowing 29 May 2007 23:32 #144769

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
skydailey wrote:

thinking of taking the batt. out all together! Ive heard of the bat-pac; a capacitor that replaces battery but cannot use the elect starter anymore. what do you guys think??

Depends on what year you have. EDIT: I see from the other thread, you have a 1977. That bike needs a battery. Do a voltage check on the brown wire at the regulator.

Also, make sure the wires are on the correct connections. The reg has color marks on it at the connections corresponding to the wire colors.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/05/30 02:46

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ 650 B batt overflowing 30 May 2007 05:33 #144807

• skydailey
  • skydailey's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok, lets get elementary for me guys. Someone give me the run through. The stator makes the power/how much>then to the regulator/what is its function > then to the rect./dont know its function either> then to the battery? I am tearing the bike down and starting from scratch from the stator.
One more thing; the diagnosis from the site that helps you pinpoint probs only deals with bikes with rect/reg combos instead of seperate units correct. So none of that mapping will work for my bike having seperate rect. and regulator?

Post edited by: skydailey, at: 2007/05/30 08:48

Post edited by: skydailey, at: 2007/05/30 09:06

KZ 650 B batt overflowing 30 May 2007 06:01 #144815

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
skydailey wrote:

Ok, lets get elementary for me guys. Someone give me the run through. The stator makes the power/how much>then to the regulator/what is its function > then to the rect./dont know its function either> then to the battery? I am tearing the bike down and starting from scratch from the stator.
One more thing; the diagnosis from the site that helps you pinpoint probs only deals with bikes with rect/reg combos instead of seperate units correct. So none of that mapping will work for my bike having seperate rect. and regulator?<br><br>Post edited by: skydailey, at: 2007/05/30 08:48

Now as loudhvx rolls his eyes :laugh:

My elementary understanding is:
Stator (generator) produces alternating current;
Rectifier changes ac to direct current;
Regulator governs voltage allowed into system.

And I know even less Norwegian. :P
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

KZ 650 B batt overflowing 31 May 2007 06:22 #145172

• skydailey
  • User
Thank you guys so much for all your advice and help! I am re-wiring the bike and feel like with your advice it will be a success! KZ forever...........

KZ 650 B batt overflowing 31 May 2007 06:43 #145183

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I personally would try swapping in a new regulator before rewiring anything. The battery is boiling because the regulator isn't regulating the DC voltage level properly.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

KZ 650 B batt overflowing 31 May 2007 08:13 #145203

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
The regulator senses battery voltage via the brown wire. The regulator controls the power to the field-coil on the alternator. The field-coil is just a big electro magnet. This electromagnet creates the magnetism used by the stator to produce electricity (the main energy comes from the engine turning the magnetic field ). Regulating the magnetic field regulates the stator's output voltage.

The brown wire on the regulator is what you need to check. If the voltage there matches the battery, then the regulator is bad. If the voltage there is much lower than the battery, you have a wiring problem or bad connection somewhere.

KZ 650 B batt overflowing 31 May 2007 13:04 #145272

• skydailey
  • User
does the bike need to be running to do the brown wire check? Sorry, I am just learning...

KZ 650 B batt overflowing 31 May 2007 13:09 #145274

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
skydailey wrote:

does the bike need to be running to do the brown wire check? ...

Not necessarily, but everything needs to be on as if the bike was running. The vibration from actually running may be a factor, though, so it's hard to say for sure.

KZ 650 B batt overflowing 31 May 2007 14:40 #145293

• skydailey
  • User
Thank you.. from my knowledge the 77 650 b1 has a seperate rectifier and regulator. Is this true? And if so why cant I find the regulator wich in the manual looks like a little square box with no fins?

KZ 650 B batt overflowing 31 May 2007 15:31 #145301

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
skydailey wrote:

Thank you.. from my knowledge the 77 650 b1 has a seperate rectifier and regulator. Is this true?

There's a chance that the factory changed over late in 1977, or a previous owner swapped out the charging system fromanother year.

Look at the alternator cover (left side of the motor), are there 3 screws in a triangle pattern? If so then it is the 1977 style charging system.

skydailey wrote:

And if so why cant I find the regulator wich in the manual looks like a little square box with no fins?

I don't know where it mounts. Maybe someone can chime in with info.

KZ 650 B batt overflowing 31 May 2007 16:27 #145319

• skydailey
  • User
I think we are getting somewhere now!! The bike is a 77 with the 3 triangle screws. There is 3 yellow 1 green and 1 red wire coming from stator. The green is hooked to a brown and the others strait to the rectifier. There is no regulator to be found??

KZ 650 B batt overflowing 31 May 2007 17:04 #145330

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
skydailey wrote:

... The green is hooked to a brown and the others strait to the rectifier. There is no regulator to be found??

That is your problem. Someone hot wired the field-coil to put out maximum power all the time. You need to get a regulator.

The red is the neutral indicator wire.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/05/31 20:06