Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

installing new turn signals 01 Apr 2007 11:20 #125540

• Herby
  • Herby's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
heya. Newbie here. I just got this bike, a 1978 650 SR, and I want to streamline it from the get-go. This is my first bike, so I want to learn to ride without the bags/box/fairing. Basically I want to return it to the original look.
I'm mechanically proficient, but I'm a newbie to the motorcycle lingo, so take it easy on me.

I'm going to remove the boxes and the wind fairing, which seems pretty straightforward. Because the current turn signals are mounted into the bags and front fairing, I'll need to add new ones. Are these the right parts for the job?

www.americanclassix.com/kawa_accessorieslight.html

turn signals Code: TSA720

pegs Code: TSL720 - 95mm long

Do I use the same lights/pegs on the front and rear? Are the optional 58mm pegs simply for a more streamlined look? Do you think they compromise visibility/safety? Do they meet DOT safety Standards?

Besides replacing the turn signals, are there any other DOT standards that I should consider?

Do I need to get a ground collar? (Code: SGP720)

Thanks for helping and being patient with me. I'm excited about being part of the forum.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

installing new turn signals 01 Apr 2007 11:42 #125547

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Those signals look quite nice in the photos and would be a good edition to a bike as nice as yours. Price is not too bad either even comparing what OEM units might go for on ebay.
Question: Does the headlight go with the fairing (usually do) or is it in a "bucket" and re-attachable to the front fork ears on the bike? The answer to this question will help you decide whether you need the ground collar. You can check the following website for parts drawings and see if your model would have had a collar from the factory...let's see.

www.thriftyrider.com/

I see a collar that looks like the photo on AC website, but it doesn't show a ground wire coming off it?
Someone here knows the answer, hang tite!
:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

installing new turn signals 01 Apr 2007 11:55 #125552

• Herby
  • User
As far as I can tell, the headlight is completely independent of the fairing. It's attached to the fork and simply fits into a well-placed hole in the fairing. Thanks for your help.

Attachments:

installing new turn signals 01 Apr 2007 12:06 #125554

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Cool. That fairing is really retro cool.
Someday you might like to reinstall it for touring...or not. You bet! :)

installing new turn signals 01 Apr 2007 12:56 #125568

• AR15Ron
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
those look fine, or you could go with these, almost the same but cheaper.
Turn Signal

Z1 does not seem to have a 95mm stem, not sure what size you would be looking for. They have 3 to choose from, this is the 75mm
Stem

Really nice looking bike BTW! Fairing looks kinda police model-ish. Nice color too.

Ron

installing new turn signals 01 Apr 2007 13:46 #125581

• duncan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
not sure if you know, but www.kawasaki.com has parts diagrams for each of these old bikes.

if you want to return your bike to original, it looks like your bike came with the front turn signals mounted on the handlebars, rather than the headlight bracket.

installing new turn signals 01 Apr 2007 13:56 #125586

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
If not already checked Z1E, it's fun to go there and explore around. When uncertain, just give them a call.

turn signal stalk at Z1E

:)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

installing new turn signals 01 Apr 2007 14:03 #125587

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
Herby wrote:

As far as I can tell, the headlight is completely independent of the fairing. It's attached to the fork and simply fits into a well-placed hole in the fairing. Thanks for your help.

Maybe the stock turn signals are fitted into the fairing same as headlight. :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

installing new turn signals 01 Apr 2007 14:27 #125599

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
Herby wrote:

...Newbie...just got this bike ...want to streamline it from the get-go...my first bike ...want to learn to ride without the bags/box/fairing...return it to the original look...95mm long...Do I use the same lights/pegs on the front and rear? Are the optional 58mm pegs simply for a more streamlined look? Do you think they compromise visibility/safety? Do they meet DOT safety Standards? Besides replacing the turn signals, are there any other DOT standards that I should consider?....

Regardless of looks and DOT, it's safest IMO to ride as if you're invisible (because you are invisible to many automobile drivers) or ride so they couldn't hit you even if they tried. :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

installing new turn signals 01 Apr 2007 15:49 #125626

• davenkids2001
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey Herby,
Just saw your post. You have a really nice SR650. I have a '79 edition...also in great condition. I read that you may be removing the saddlebags, fairing, trunk etc. If you are considering selling them, I would be very interested. I have been looking for these items for my bike but they have to be SR not KZ because of the different configurations. Anyway, if you want to sell, lets talk. Just PM me.
Actually...I was thinking...I already have the parts that you may be looking for...that maybe we could do some trading.

Post edited by: davenkids2001, at: 2007/04/01 18:53
Dave and Janet
Great Lake State
1979 650SR

installing new turn signals 02 Apr 2007 08:10 #125795

• Herby
  • User
Thanks davenkids2001, but I think I'm going to hold on to the bags/fairing. I'm planning on doing some touring in the long-run, but I just wanted to simplify for around-town riding and getting comfortable with the bike.

installing new turn signals 02 Apr 2007 08:13 #125797

• Herby
  • User
So based on the Z1 Enterprises website, it appears I'll need 1-wire single filament rear signal lights, and 2-wire dual-filament front signals. Is that correct? Thanks!

• Page: