Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

'75 Z1-B Horn switch 13 Mar 2007 18:23 #119914

• popsz1
  • popsz1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello everyone. I was just looking for info, and thought I'd join. I've got my fathers original '75 Z1-B, and cannot get it inspected since the horn is broken. I've tried the contacts and everything else, and next up is to replace the entire left handlebar assembly. I cannot find this ANYWHERE. Any advice would be great!

Post edited by: popsz1, at: 2007/03/13 21:23

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'75 Z1-B Horn switch 13 Mar 2007 18:43 #119925

• apeman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Are you certain the problem is in the button switch? I would try jumping a hot wire directly from the battery to the horn first, and seeing if that creates sound. If it doesn't, replacement horns are cheap, and come in all sorts of varieties.

If the horn works using the jumper, the problem is either in your switch, or your wiring. Wiring problems are tedious to track down, but if you go about it methodically, you will find the problem. Corroded or loose connections are common on these bikes, especially if the bike has been sitting for a while. It could also be a short (bare wire touching the bike frame or the handlebars, for example). You could just buy a new harnes and rewire the entire bike, but what fun would that be?

Have you checked the fuse?

Also, if your bike is anything like mine, disassembling and cleaning/repairing the internal parts of the switch button assembly is very easy. A little emory paper, some cleaner, dielectric grease, good near distance vision, and some small screwdrivers, etc, and you can get things right.

You will be happier having your stock switchgear than you will be finding a mismatched replacement.
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

'75 Z1-B Horn switch 18 Mar 2007 19:29 #121400

• popsz1
  • popsz1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the tips! My dad brought this to my attention just as he was handing it down to me. I've gotten noise when touching directly to the horn from the batter, so I guess I was just refusing to admit that it has to be wiring. No bad for 32 years old. I had an '82 maxim that was a wiring nightmare!

'75 Z1-B Horn switch 19 Mar 2007 10:24 #121578

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
popsz1 wrote:

Thanks for the tips! My dad brought this to my attention just as he was handing it down to me. I've gotten noise when touching directly to the horn from the batter, so I guess I was just refusing to admit that it has to be wiring. No bad for 32 years old. I had an '82 maxim that was a wiring nightmare!

Apeman covered all the bases. It might be a good idea to remove the horn(s) and test them on the bench to completely eliminate power as the problem. Replace them if you connect a battery directly across the horns and they/it just 'boinks', that is, it makes noise but does not blow. If horn blows nice, strong and loud, then the connectors and/or contacts are the problem.

• Page: