Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

BrakeLights goes on too late,when depressing front lever 06 Mar 2007 10:27 #117755

• jeffreygp
  • jeffreygp's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello, My brake lights goes on too late when I depress the fornt brake lever, it switches on only when you depress it quite hard, as in total stop. I think it has a hydraulic pressure switch.Can it be adjusted? The rear brake switch works fine and my brakes are working great. I would greatly appreciate any info.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

BrakeLights goes on too late,when depressing front lever 06 Mar 2007 11:12 #117767

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
  • Thank you received: 9
looking at the picture of your front master cylinder at kawasaki.com, I'd say your only option is to buy a new switch. The later models (like my '81) use a mechanically operated switch on a different master cylinder, that has some adjustability. Maybe you could find a later master cylinder and wire in the later switch?
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

BrakeLights goes on too late,when depressing front lever 06 Mar 2007 11:25 #117774

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
On the 650, 79 models it is adjustable, but I havent seen the diagrahm yet!
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

BrakeLights goes on too late,when depressing front lever 06 Mar 2007 14:20 #117821

• wireman
  • Visitor
on all the kz1000s ive had uptill 1980 anyway its mounted on the splitter block for brake lines and is unadjustable.i think the Z1Rs have a differant setup though;)

BrakeLights goes on too late,when depressing front lever 06 Mar 2007 14:39 #117828

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
If the MK II has the same front brake switch as the KZ1000E1/E2, it isn't in the splitter and is not hydraulic. I think your switch is in the right hand perch for the brake lever. Look and see if there is a wire hanging out of that thing. Since the switch DOES work, I suggest the problem will likely be the nub on your brake lever that contacts the switch is likely worn. This nub is cast as part of the lever and just wears with time. Get new levers or check to see if your switch didn't get pushed back into the housing somehow... the switch has a plastic body and may have got smooshed backwards.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

BrakeLights goes on too late,when depressing front lever 06 Mar 2007 15:24 #117840

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
  • Thank you received: 9
OK, George, maybe I'm about to learn something. I'm one of those engineers that trust what other engineers draw up, and I know that, on occasion, that's not necessarily the same as being right.:blink:
So, on kaw.com, they list a KZ1000-a1, -a2, and -a2a, as standards, and a -b3 LTD, and an -e1 shaft drive. Jeffreygp lists his as a KZ1000 mk2. So, what's a mk2?
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

BrakeLights goes on too late,when depressing front lever 06 Mar 2007 15:30 #117845

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Mine is a wee bit late it seems but as far as I know it is NOT adjustable. KZwolfsr , do you know something I don't?
Brake switch
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

BrakeLights goes on too late,when depressing front lever 07 Mar 2007 00:44 #117990

• jeffreygp
  • User
Hello, I think the brake light switch is hydraulic. There is no switch near the brake lever. There's a sensor mounted on the splitters that looks like an oil pressure sender,when the wires are pulled off the brake lights are disabled.
I could not see anything that resembles an adjustment.

BrakeLights goes on too late,when depressing front lever 07 Mar 2007 01:03 #117992

• jeffreygp
  • User
Hello Bruce,
Hope you dont mind if I answer your query about the mk2. As I have gathered,the mk2 is a diffrent version of the 1979 KZ100A3. It has diffrent Gas tanks,side covers,has transistorized points,1015cc with 93HP,cast wheels,metallic brake pads and altered rear suspension to improve the handling of the A3,maybe someone would like to add other features I missed.
Take care, Jeffrey

BrakeLights goes on too late,when depressing front lever 07 Mar 2007 05:34 #118008

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Most of the parts diagram pics on kawasaki.com are missing for the MK II but the side covers on a MK II say MK II not KZ1000 I think. The side cover badges for a 79 have a different number than the 80 version of the MK II. I don't think there is a "standard" version of the KZ1000 in 79/80, I think the standard version IS a MK II. I think the last "standard 1015cc without the enhancements jeffreygp noted was the late 78 KZ1000A2A. Anyone know for sure? I think ALL the 79/80 KZ1000s were variations of the MK II engine. The easiest way to tell is the countershaft cover which has a more squared off look and the rectangular clutch pushrod adjustment cover and not the oval cover on the earlier versions of the 903/1015cc engine.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

BrakeLights goes on too late,when depressing front lever 07 Mar 2007 10:27 #118079

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
Having learned to ride on dirt bikes, I replaced my levers with the "bent style" I remembered from my childhood. Now the brake actuates much earlier than before, resulting in the same problem you had originally mentioned.

My bike's brake lamp worked fine with the other "factory" lever.

I needed to remov the lever adjustment cam from the lever assembly. The brakes were not relaxing.

Could it be that my brakes are constantly ridden by a too large brake lever?

Could this riding of the brake be the cause of residual pressure in the brake system?

Could this residual pressure be affecting the hydraulic switch? By not allowing it to sense as large a difference in pressure between on and off brake as it would if the system were to be allowed to relax completely.

Hmmmm.

I think that I am going to get the round file and sandpaper out. I am not comfortable with my front brake lever now.
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

BrakeLights goes on too late,when depressing front lever 08 Mar 2007 10:24 #118392

• artogeo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello,borrowed a couple of brake levers from friends but still have the same problem. my brake lever seem to be fine with a little clearance at the relaxed position and is not riding the brake master. I'll try to remove the hydraulic switch and clean it,and see what would happen.:)

Post edited by: artogeo, at: 2007/03/08 13:27
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• Page: