Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Quicky Rec/Reg/Solenoid question 05 Mar 2007 12:21 #117484

• wireman
  • Visitor
match it to your positive cable size,use a really fine stranded cable if you can get it for battery cables;) i like to use welding lead for car and tractor cables but its way to big for a bikeB)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Quicky Rec/Reg/Solenoid question 05 Mar 2007 13:28 #117505

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
8 ga is OK... I would have gone with 6 ga but 8 is fine. It is also OK to run to the front battery box support and not the engine ground. I have seen it done both ways. I buy 6 ga battery cable wire at the autoparts store. Buy the LONGEST cable they sell for a car. They will also see crimp on copper eye connectors. It is less expensive to make your own battery cables.

The 903/1015 engine has a tapped hole drilled into the engine cases above the kicker. Also, the starter grounds via its mount bolts... there is no negative lead...
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Quicky Rec/Reg/Solenoid question 05 Mar 2007 13:51 #117510

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • BARNEYHYPHEN's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
WG. Thanks. Think I'll redo all the main cables at the weekend with fine strand 6ga. The grounding bolt you mention is the one I used to ground the cases.

Now just looking for somewhere to buy bulk 6ga fine strand.

Thanks again.

Quicky Rec/Reg/Solenoid question 06 Mar 2007 05:40 #117660

• wiredgeorge
  • User
I am thinking that most battery cables you would find in any autoparts store are "fine thread"... I doubt you will find a solid core cable at 8 ga. or 6 ga. - All autoparts stores carry battery cable. Just buy the longest cable in red and the longest in black (they can be over 3' long!) and cut to length. They will also sell copper crimp connectors.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Quicky Rec/Reg/Solenoid question 06 Mar 2007 09:16 #117725

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • BARNEYHYPHEN's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
WG. Did just that last night. Bought a 65" 4ga fine strand readymade cable from Autozone ($7.99) and a selection of solid copper 1/4" and 3/8" 2ga & 4ga lugs ($ 1.50 each). Cut the readymade ends off last night and soldered me on the new copper lugs. Double shrink wrapped the base of each lug back about 2" up the cable.

Haven't fitted it on the bike yet but the new 4ga cable will now run straight from Batt- to the grounding bolt at the right/back of the tranny (double cable soldered into one 2ga lug), then back up to the grounding strip I fitted under the seat.

I'm going to use the offcut from the cable for a new Batt+ to solenoid. Black cable but I'll sleeve each end with 3" of RED shrink sleeving.

Makes the 8ga look pretty flimsy.

Thanks everyones advice on this.

Quicky Rec/Reg/Solenoid question 07 Mar 2007 06:29 #118023

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Buying the long bits of pre-made up battery cable makes the cable pretty cheap and there is enough for a bunch of bikes. I have both red and black cable but I doubt there is much chance of getting the cables messed up if you used black for both since the hot cable is generally so short compared to the ground. Sounds like you are getting there... The 4 ga is probably overkill but doesn't do any harm. I bought a box of 6 ga crimp on connectors a few years ago that had about 20 connectors and that is why I use 6 ga wire most of the time for the battery hook ups.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: