Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Coils 21 Feb 2007 09:10 #114139

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
  • Thank you received: 11
as always a plethora of good advice from George.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Coils 22 Feb 2007 15:56 #114550

• William
  • William's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I checked all the wiring, and fixed up the lights while I was doing it, so now I have turn singles, a small victory. So all I had left was to try a plug. I went out and got a deep socket and one new plug. I am not sure if it’s the right one but it fits so I will assume it is, a B7ES. With the new plug, I could get spark without touching the casing on cylinders 2 and 3, however I could only generate spark on cylinders 1 and 4, if I touched the plug right to the casing. The old plugs look terrible.

The spark wasn’t really grand or anything but it was about what I expected. I am losing a bit of faith in the cycle shop however they checked it with a multimeter too, but go no numbers, I had to fish around for contact and then got something.

As for the numbers, I get a 2.5 Ohms across both of them on the 200 scale, on the other end I get about 12.01 and 11.78 on the 20k scale.

If I touch it to the red wire going to the coil, then the negative battery terminal, I get 11.23 Volts, I can’t seem to get a ground on the bikes casing for anything.

So, I think the next step will be to get 4 new plugs, and I got a can of ether around the house, so I will give it a spray and see if it fires after I get some more plugs. Hopefully in the afternoon.

If It still doesn’t work, I will try this wiring mod form your site, looks a little high end for me, but I will give her a whirl.

Coils 22 Feb 2007 19:00 #114610

• tnutz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
another thing that helps, good grounds. on my GPZ 1100 i went over kill, #10awg grounds to the frame engine and other odd places, bike runs a million times better. plus cleaned up and regreased all connections with die-electric grease.

Coils 22 Feb 2007 20:46 #114644

• sbodi4d
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Not to hijack the thread, but I am going to replace the coils on my 1980 KZ1000 ST project bike, and I have looked at different sites for coils and they advertise different ohm values for them. What would my bike use?

Coils 23 Feb 2007 04:39 #114676

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Steve, Do repost your question and start a new thread please! The answer isn't simple.

Back to the 750! OK, the coils are OK I think at 2.5 Ohms primary and 12K secondary. The voltage at over 11 VDC isn't bad.

Seems you have spark on 2/3 and 1/4. The plug type is wrong... someone was getting sooty plugs and put in a set one heat range hotter to try and keep the plugs clean. I would suggest you do the coil repowering mod suggested on our web site and some new B8ES NGK plugs. Last, I would recheck the plug wire seating inside the coils and make sure the plug caps are tight on the plugs. I believe the caps you are using require the little screw-on nuts on the plugs.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: