Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ750 M1 08 Dec 2006 15:52 #98310

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
wiredgeorge..I myself appreciate the hands on explanation. Something that is hard to get from a book even with pictures.
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ750 M1 08 Dec 2006 16:59 #98328

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
What I was suggesting is called "bench syncing" a carb assembly. There are really two purposes. FIRST and most important is to set the slide heights of all slides in the middle of the adjustment range of the idle adjustment screw. The second and also important reason for doing a bench sync is to make sure all slides are roughly the same height when you initally try and start the bike. If the slides are too far out relative to each other, it can actually mess up the first reason if you have to crank one of the adjusters a whole bunch... When I started my business I soon found this is a critical step before attempting to tune carbs. Without a bench sync (and service fuel level setting), I couldn't get many sets accurately sync'd and the idle set. Most service manuals explain how to do it but they seem to stress putting a piece of wire under the slides... but they do tell you to screw down the idle screw a bit and leave a certain space between the bellcrank and brackeet stop... seems about 3/8" is normal. The wires are essentially a time waster. It is just as accurate to put a small space (about 1/32"?) of space under each slide. Then shut the slides with the idle screw... they should all shut simultaneously and open simulataneously... I find the wires a distraction. If you use some of the larger objects, as has been suggested on this board in the past, the slides will be set the same but outside the range where the idle screw can open and close the slides effectively. If you like to use "objects" and find the little wire suggestion tedious, try using large paper clips. Bend them in an L shape so they don't fall through. The paper clip diameter is about as large as you can go without messing up the range of the idle screw.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

KZ750 M1 10 Dec 2006 08:07 #98664

• Ag3NT
  • Ag3NT's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok I have everything synced and I had to FAB some boots from the airbox to the carb. WOW what a difference. I have never heard this bike run so well. After i pulled the carbs I found out that the idle screw wasn't all the way out it just had a bad spot in the threads. Fabbed a new end for it and it worked out fine.

Bike runs great in idle and with a smooth application of throttle. If I pour the throttle on it bogs between 3 and 4 k under load. Any ideas?

KZ750 M1 10 Dec 2006 08:39 #98680

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Check the timing advancer under the right hand points cover and make sure it rotates freely, that's the rpm range where it should be at full advance.

I know you have electronic ignition, but it still uses a timing advancer :)
KD9JUR

• Page: