Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Easy carb Cleaning tool 17 Nov 2005 06:12 #8598

• dgfischer
  • dgfischer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
Sometimes the simplest answers are the hardest to find.
Heres a simple tool that anyone can make and works great for cleaning carb passages.

You take a vacuume cap(rubber block off thingy) drill a very small hole in the end and put your plastic wand from your aerosol carb cleaner through the hole. When you use it in a passage, push the rubber cap down to get a good seal and then squirt the clear through. It gets more of the pressure through the passage to clean the passage completely. It also squirts 10X the amount of carb cleaner 10X faster into your eye (be careful). The rubber cap can also be turned around to clean smaller passages (like the accell pump passages in the VM series carbs).

Daniel

Post edited by: dgfischer, at: 2005/11/17 09:12
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Easy carb Cleaning tool 17 Nov 2005 08:10 #8622

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
Great idea, Dan. Very inventive. Necessity is the mother of invention as the say.
Ride safe,
Les
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

Easy carb Cleaning tool 17 Nov 2005 09:02 #8632

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 301
I like it...but then I'll have to ask WG why my bike runs so crappy and then explain why my vacuum caps have holes in them...:unsure:
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Easy carb Cleaning tool 17 Nov 2005 10:59 #8651

• GargantuChet
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
For those who don't know, they sell rubber cap assortments at Pep Boys. Look for the "random crap" section. You can buy a sacrificial assortment for a few bucks while you're picking up the carb cleaner.

I'm not sure whether any of them fit the carb ports, but for construction of this tool I doubt the exact size matters much.

Easy carb Cleaning tool 17 Nov 2005 13:00 #8672

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
For doing any spraying, I STONGLY recommend you go to the hardware and pick up some CLOSE FITTING safety glasses. I got some at the True Value in Hondo and they work super for squirting. I generally get at least a couple face fulls of spray a day and regular safety glasses are semi useless.

Second safety tip is to use nitrile or Vitron rubber gloves. The nitrile gloves are sold at Harbor Freight and come in two different quantity packages... the smaller only has a few gloves and if you don't wallow in carb cleaner all day should be sufficient. The larger quantity box has 100 gloves per box. Even nitrile rubber, which is supposed to resist chemicals, gets eaten up pretty quickly so I generally go through a couple sets of these gloves a week taking carbs in and out of Berrymans. I don't like to use them doing bench work but I really should, I guess. Jeff at z1enterprises.com also can get the nitrile rubber gloves through one of his main suppliers. I got onto them by asking the folks at Berrymans up in Dallas and that is what their folks use. The Vitron gloves I mentioned are hard to find as Vitron is a brand name and not a material. They are supposed to be good too.

As far as vacuum caps... mostly I use them on vacuum ports and the 3/16" size work best. 1/4" will tend to come off and need a spot of superglue to make sure they stay in place.

Good post Daniel!
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Easy carb Cleaning tool 17 Nov 2005 18:03 #8732

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
Great idea dgfisher.

With all those nasty chemicals around WG maybe one of these would be a good idea

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• Page: