Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

running hard 12 Nov 2005 15:51 #7934

• CombatWombat
  • CombatWombat's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1979 650d2 that I am trying to get running. I have soaked the carbs and parts, rebuilt the carbs and replaced the points. The compression is around 150 on all cylinders. I can get it to run, but not well, cylinders 1 and 2 run much hotter than 3 and 4. I switched the plugs around and nothing changed. Also, it only runs with choke or part choke, and it bogs if you give it gas. My ideas right now are
1. my pilot jets, I didnt replace them because the rebuild kit came with a different kind that didnt fit.
2. the accelerator pump? i am not real familiar with how this works but, could it affect just cylinders 3 and 4
3. valve issues? i havent checked out internals yet, but maybe now is the time
thanks for the help
-Joel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

running hard 12 Nov 2005 16:19 #7935

• Corith
  • User
You might try switching the 1 and 4 spark plug wires along with the 2 and 3. This will tell you if your coils are going bad or not.

running hard 14 Nov 2005 05:48 #8120

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The accelerator pump will not have an effect unless you roll on the throttle and then it gives a squirt of gas. It sounds like things are still plugged up and need cleaning.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

running hard 14 Nov 2005 08:42 #8138

• fergyfer
  • User
Previous owner of my bike had done a carb kit but didn't pull off the caps and clean the idle ports. Ran like crap until I pulled them and cleaned out the varnish. That alone will make quite a difference.

running hard 20 Nov 2005 00:15 #9130

• wireguy
  • User
Combatwombat,are you any relation to Ace90?in my previous life i was a heavily warmed over 125,they called me SuperCombat!i got my first basketcase z1 in 79(i was 13)i was 15 when i got it running 5 foot nothing 110lbs with boots and a bag of concrete,what a ride!but i still remember the mighty HODAKA!

running hard 18 Dec 2005 09:29 #13651

• CombatWombat
  • CombatWombat's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
What are the "idle ports" and where are they on the carb.

running hard 18 Dec 2005 14:12 #13672

• Mellvis
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Sure sounds like a lean condition. Is it stock exhaust and air box, or 4 into 1 and pod filters? What size jets are you running? What notch do you have the needle clips set at? Make SURE that all of the internal passages are clean as others have said.
The accelerator pump WILL foul the #2 plug if the rubber diaphrams go bad. When I first got my 650SR I fought that for a year. This doesn't sound like your problem.
Also after you clean the carbs out make sure you use a filter between the tank and carbs in the fuel line. I've had rust/junk get into the fuel supply pipes from carb 2 to 1 and carb 3 to 4. This would make 2 and 3 run good and 1 and 4 run lean.
Good luck, the SR's are a great ride!

running hard 19 Dec 2005 07:00 #13721

• fergyfer
  • User
WiredGeorge will have to answer that question. It would depend on what carbs you have.
On my 550, it came with caps installed over the air mixture screws so they couldn't be adjusted. PO had skipped this part of the rebuild and cleaning. I had to poke a hole in the caps and pry them out, then removing the idle screws showed varnish goo in those ports.It made quite a big difference in how the bike idled.

• Page: