Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

quick jet question 11 Nov 2005 12:28 #7774

• CombatWombat
  • CombatWombat's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I am rebuilding the carbs on a 650 d2 and i bought rebuild kits with main jets from 90 to 105, this bike has a 4 in1 and pods, will the 105's be big enough to at least get the bike started and running a little bit? will they be big enough for good?
thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

quick jet question 11 Nov 2005 13:40 #7791

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The OEM jet size for MOST VM24 applications is either #97.5 OR #102.5. When jetting for pods/4 into 1, I generally leave the clip on the 4th slot on the jet needles and use #17.5 pilot jets and #110 main jets. You really should get some #17.5 pilots as these will make the bike easier to start and warm up faster but the #15s will work; although they will be a tad lean. You ride MOSTLY on the jet needle and won't even notice the #105 pilot jets in there until you get over 7K rpm or so... then it may not pull as well as it should up to redline. Get some #110s but honestly, you won't notice the #105s unless you are trying to get to redline in a hurry. You won't hurt anything using #15 pilots and #105 mains...
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

quick jet question 11 Nov 2005 15:14 #7805

• reborn650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Keep in mind what wiredgeorge says. He knows his carbs. You might want to research through the database to compare the differences between aftermarket jets vs. Mikunis.

If I am not mistaken, aftermarket jet sizes are a little smaller than O.E.M jets from Mikuni so you have to add 2.5 to the Mikuni size to match aftermarket.
Eg. An original 110 Mikuni would compare to a 112.5 aftermarket.
A good selection of main jets is pretty cheap to have on hand, and they are easy to change to play around with for fine tuning perfection.
Perhaps someone else could pipe in to confirm if my memory is correct on the OEM vs aftermarket sizing.
Cheers-Colin Firth

1977 KZ650 Custom. Brought back from the dead after 13 years of neglect. Totally rebuilt from frame up. Wiseco 700 kit. Ported, polished heads. Triple angle valve job. Properly re-jetted and rebuilt carbs, Filters, MAC Pipe, Barnett Clutch, Body mods, Bead blasted rims, 14 tooth sprocket front, Superbike Bars, Painted 2005 Chrysler Magnum Red with silver and gold stripes. Only 13,000 miles on bike. Runs and looks like new and does it ever jump off the line! Colin Firth-Ontario-Canada
-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

quick jet question 14 Nov 2005 05:50 #8121

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Interesting comment re jet size. I have not experienced any differences in aftermarket jets for Mikuni application vs real Mikuni jets. Where did you get this information?
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: