Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carburetor problems 29 Jun 2023 16:40 #886630

• Dunemaster
  • Dunemaster's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
After recently buying a Kz750 F I found out that half of the engine floods when gas is supplied. When I started to take apart the carbs for float adjustment and seat cleaning, I noticed that what I believe to be the carb bowl vents are plugged on my carburetors. Is that what I am looking at and why would somebody seal them off? Should I try to unclog them or will it be fine to leave them as they are? I’m pretty new to carburetors so any help would be much appreciated.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carburetor problems 29 Jun 2023 16:51 #886631

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2707
The vent Tee's look melted.  Maybe somebody tried to do a getto clean job and sprayed the carbs down with a solvent that melted the plastic?  

I'd do a full teardown of the carbs, and clean them properly.  Replace all the O-rings, and float needles (use Keyster.)  I have O-ring kits if you decide to bite the bullet and do a proper and full rebuild.  Don't waste money on "carb kits" because the parts are going to be inferior to the OEM parts, plus the kits don't have the proper O-rings anyway.  

Carburetor problems 29 Jun 2023 17:26 #886635

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2089
The bowl vents are absolutely necessary for proper carburetor function. I agree with Nessism that a full tear down is needed. There is no telling what else is jacked up inside them. Be very careful with the slide diaphragms, they are quite fragile and surprisingly expensive.
Carburetors can be intimidating, but you have access here to folks who have rebuilt hundreds of them to guide you and answer questions.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Carburetor problems 29 Jun 2023 17:39 #886636

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2089
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Carburetor problems 29 Jun 2023 17:41 #886637

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
You need two of these...

https_://www.ebay.com/itm/_114688161773   (remove underline)

Not cheap, but necessary at this point.

Edit: found cheaper ones... (again, remove underlines)  https_://www.ebay.com/itm/301295945614

Last edit: by Nessism.

Carburetor problems 29 Jun 2023 17:55 #886638

• Dunemaster
  • User
Thanks for the help guys! I’ve already started tearing them down and have found material in the fuel line that feeds the separate bowls. I also have noticed that there seems to be plugs on the roof of the bowls, should those be there? 
Attachments:

Carburetor problems 30 Jun 2023 10:22 #886662

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
You might want to head over to eBay, search "KZ750 Carburetor", toggle "used", then look for photos of carb bodies.  Doing this should show that the plugs in question are normal.

BTW, before posting messages with photos, be sure to click "insert all" on the photo loader.  That way the photos show up is proper size, instead of tiny thumbnails.

Last edit: by Nessism.

Carburetor problems 04 Jul 2023 20:18 #886850

• Dunemaster
  • User
Does anyone know where I can find the o rings (92055-1004) for a decent price? Every place I look I’m not a fan of the money I’ll have to spend for a single o ring. Are there any aftermarket options available for cheaper? I have a set of automotive o rings but those were not quite as thick as the oem parts. they fit on and are significantly tighter than the old o rings for a better seal but they are not as “tall” as the oem ones and do not completely fill the grove that they sit in, allowing for a small amount of movement.

Carburetor problems 04 Jul 2023 20:32 #886851

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36
I got 2 at Partzilla for 3.92 apiece. I was getting other stuff so it made the most sense, I basically got free shipping on them. But I'd imagine you need more than 2 and that price adds up quick

Carburetor problems 05 Jul 2023 06:30 #886863

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
As mentioned earlier in this thread, I have full O-ring kits for these carbs.  email for details.

(user name) AT sbcglobal DOT net

• Page: