Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

fun with fuel T o-rings 28 Jun 2023 21:57 #886603

• 82KZ305Belt
  • 82KZ305Belt's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36
 T that connects to the fuel line and the 2 carbs on my 305. The parts diagram and service manual clearly show, and clearly state, that there are 4 o-rings: 2 for each arm of the T going to each carburetor. But

1) there is a single recess on each arm, and each recess only takes one o-ring, as the pic shows.
2) if you place the o-ring on the outside of the arms up against the body of the T, the carbs will not go go back in the rails because they are exactly 2 o-rings too far apart. But hey, it was worth a try because...
3) the only place left for those "extra" 2 o-rings is in the carburetor housings, BUT there is an angled step in the housing, so any o-ring going in will not have a uniform circular surface to seat against, and it might even partially block the fuel passage. That doesn't make sense to me

Inside the housing. Would you put an o-ring in there?  And what is the purpose of that step in there?

I thought I'd try this although I knew it was wrong. The carbs won't fit in the rails this way

The only other twin I can find that supposedly uses 4 o-rings on a fuel T is the Kz400.  So where or where do the other 2 o-rings go? I have never had 4 o-ring in there, to the best of my recollection, and I've never had a leak (well, until recently, but the 41 y/o o-rings were toast).

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by 82KZ305Belt.

fun with fuel T o-rings 29 Jun 2023 05:33 #886610

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2707
The parts manual for the 305 shows one O-ring per side.

Attachments:

fun with fuel T o-rings 29 Jun 2023 06:19 #886611

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User
Well  we decided in Partzilla vs FSM that FSM rules the roost. I was looking at the wrong parts diagram in the manual, which is easy enough to do considering how many sections you have to refer to in order to get to what you need.

The convoluted path you must follow in the service manual for1982  KZ305 B-1 carb disassembly/assembly is as follows:

Supplement for 1982 KZ305 B1, pg 289. Carburetor disassembly, go to pg 294

Page 294 says Curburetors: Procedure is the same as those for 1981 A-1. Refer to pg 246

Page 246 says Procedures are the same as those for 1981 Z250-A3 (why didn't they just say that on p. 294? ARGGGG!), go to page 218-223

On p 220, it states under Installation: Check that the o-rings (4) are properly in place and install the 3 way joint!!!

Anywho, I'm happy to say I had already put it back together with 2 o-rings since the FSM (or I) was obviously wrong and I had only 2 OEM o-rings anyway!

fun with fuel T o-rings 30 Jun 2023 07:14 #886653

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1630
The parts diagram and service manual clearly show, and clearly state, that there are 4 o-rings: ...

Partzilla only shows 2 o-rings for the 81/82 305 models and in the FSM the 81 Z250 diagram on pg 222 also shows only 2 o-rings. The carburetor diagram early on in the manual has 4, but that's for the 79 Z250 models and maybe the 80 Z250s.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

fun with fuel T o-rings 30 Jun 2023 07:26 #886654

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User
Yep I was looking at the wrong diagram but the instructions clearly state 4 o-rings.  But they are wrong, as is their diagram calling throttle plates "choke plates"
kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/619121-se...e-fast-idling#886621

fun with fuel T o-rings 30 Jun 2023 09:30 #886657

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1630
On p 220, it states under Installation: Check that the o-rings (4) are properly in place and install the 3 way joint!!!  

That info is in the supplement for the Z250 & there's also a photo showing 4 o-rings, while the diagram shows 2 o-rings.  So obviously it's an either or situation depending upon the carburetors. or Kawawaki messed up. haha. But yours is the 305.  The KZ650 clymer manual is also convoluted. So when I did my carburetors, I just used my eyeballs and common sense and didn't bother referencing the manual except to get the adjustment specs specific to my year. The same thing is done 4 times on a lot of stuff and most parts only goes back together one way, so it would have been hard to mess up.  A Twin should be easy. ha ha.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

fun with fuel T o-rings 30 Jun 2023 15:25 #886670

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User

On p 220, it states under Installation: Check that the o-rings (4) are properly in place and install the 3 way joint!!!  

That info is in the supplement for the Z250 & there's also a photo showing 4 o-rings, while the diagram shows 2 o-rings.  So obviously it's an either or situation depending upon the carburetors. or Kawawaki messed up. haha. But yours is the 305. 

Right but the manual directs you to those pages for the 305, as explained above. It's maddening. But as I've said before the manual is really meant for someone who doesn't really need a manual. I need a manual lol.

I just used my eyeballs and common sense and didn't bother referencing the manual except to get the adjustment specs specific to my year. The same thing is done 4 times on a lot of stuff and most parts only goes back together one way, so it would have been hard to mess up.  A Twin should be easy. ha ha.

I'm trying to take my time and do it right for the first time so that I can begin to understand what I am doing and why. If I ever get to that point I won't need the manual. But I am still at an elementary level of understanding. I'm no mechanic, and this is the only bike I've ever owned, so poverty breeds necessity.  If I don't do it, it won't get done, and I want to ride.

• Page: