Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1977 KZ750 Twin Carb Body Damage 10 Aug 2022 08:58 #871978

• ShaneDude
  • ShaneDude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 13
Someone suggested the carb problems I had been having on my bike my be due to a stuck carb needle. They suggested I tap on the carb bowl and body.

Well, in doing that, it seems I may have messed up the choke assembly on the brake side of the bike. Not the lever, but the choke pin. It now appears I messed up something so that when I put on the choke, its pulls the pin UP but doesnt push it back down, so I have to manually take a screw driver and push the pin so the choke isnt on.

Is there a way to repair this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1977 KZ750 Twin Carb Body Damage 10 Aug 2022 09:56 #871981

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Did you hit the starter plunger or its mechanism?

If you did, then in all likelihood one or both are bent. Unless the bend is sharp enough to cause metal fatigue, they can be taken apart and straightened. Some pictures would help.

If you try the tapping method again, stay away from all the mechanisms. A few moderate taps on the bowl is all that should be tried. If that doesn’t work, the needle and seat need to be carefully cleaned or replaced.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

1977 KZ750 Twin Carb Body Damage 10 Aug 2022 10:43 #871982

• ShaneDude
  • User is blocked
Below are a few photos. This is what it looks like when the choke is closed and in the normal position:

This is what it looks like when I put the choke on:

then I close the choke, you can see, it doesnt push the yellow part down and the choke is still open

I did notice this little pivot thing which looks like i may be able to adjust it to close. havent tried yet but will when I take the carbs off the bike which should be easy (I have the manual)

What is involved in cleaning the needle and seat? Do I have to take the carbs completely apart? I may take the carb body off the bike tomorrow. I dont have time to do it today.
Attachments:

Last edit: by ShaneDude.

1977 KZ750 Twin Carb Body Damage 10 Aug 2022 12:23 #871987

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1720
Photo's can be deceptive but that definitely looks like the plunger has a bend in it 

1977 KZ750 Twin Carb Body Damage 10 Aug 2022 12:49 #871990

• ShaneDude
  • User is blocked
Ill have another look when I take the carbs off the bike tomorrow. It looks straight up and down to me. But when The carbs are off I can tell. Its not the end of the world thankfully. I can just push it down after i use the choke. I think the KZ650 uses the same plunger.

1977 KZ750 Twin Carb Body Damage 10 Aug 2022 13:56 #871996

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
Your choke plunger accutator rod could be twisted. The plunger fork arm fingers should touch the yellow plastic part and press the plunger fully down to the OFF position. The tention of the plunger spring only should press the plunger fully down to the OFF position, if not the plunger sticks some how like a bent plunger shaft or guide pin.

Last edit: by Scirocco.

1977 KZ750 Twin Carb Body Damage 10 Aug 2022 14:43 #872001

• ShaneDude
  • User is blocked
right and thanks for that helpful info. Others in the forum said pretty much the same so I guess its bent.
 I wish this were a 750 Honda so I could go online and buy a brand new set of carbs and be done with it. But I havent found a new set online

Last edit: by ShaneDude.
  • Page: