Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

VM26 Year Identification 04 Sep 2019 08:48 #810338

• Nessism
  • Nessism's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672
I've got two sets VM26's for refurbishment and would like to identify the year. I'm assuming they are 1979 but would appreciate either confirmation or correction.

These have a pilot air screw but no pilot fuel screw. 26mm, not 28. No accelerator pump.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

VM26 Year Identification 04 Sep 2019 14:18 #810353

• asphalt900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 166
Good Afternoon! Is this a Question as to the year of application? I thought You did carbs all the time?

VM26 Year Identification 04 Sep 2019 15:42 #810359

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
Yes, "Question as to the year of application?"

VM26 Year Identification 04 Sep 2019 16:55 #810362

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
1976 KZ900 & 1/2 year early 1977.
1978 had the standard KZ1000 26mm, they had the air screws under neath the bodies. And Factory had a small white plastic limiter cap on it to limit playing with them.
Z1R's had the accelerator pump and where 28mm. (good carbs)
79-80 MarkII Had 28mm acc. pumpers. Ltd's had the 26mm, pumpers. 26mm acc. pumpers where crap carbs.
That is some nice work on the 26mm in picture. Stock for 76 KZ900. Easiest stock carb to tune for stock engine bikes.
Just what I remember.
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

VM26 Year Identification 04 Sep 2019 17:56 #810370

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
Thanks for the update z1kzonly. I forgot to check the 900 model bikes.

I figured these would be easier to tune with only the one adjustment. The jetting on this particular set is 17.5 pilots and 115 mains so I assume they were set up for pods and a header. I've got an identical set in work but they need some parts so they will come later.

Thanks again.

VM26 Year Identification 04 Sep 2019 19:38 #810375

• asphalt900
  • User
What particular parts are You needing? I have a Tupperware container full of the 1200's. Glad to Help. Even have some of the NOS Needle jets, that will cost you a bit though, they are unique and rare specific to the 76-77 as HardRock mentioned.

VM26 Year Identification 04 Sep 2019 19:52 #810378

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

asphalt900 wrote: What particular parts are You needing? I have a Tupperware container full of the 1200's. Glad to Help. Even have some of the NOS Needle jets, that will cost you a bit though, they are unique and rare specific to the 76-77 as HardRock mentioned.

Just put in an order at Z1 for some of those plastic choke plunger pull doohickies, some choke cap rubber condom seals, and ordered some used rubber throttle shaft grommets from ebay. Fingers crossed that's all I'll need. This other set has more corrosion than the set shown. The needles are discolored somewhat but the anodize is still there.

It's getting hard to find decent rebuildable cores for a decent price.

VM26 Year Identification 04 Sep 2019 19:58 #810379

• asphalt900
  • User
Oh by the way NICE job!! I know the time it takes to make these carbs look that good. It's always a battle, on my end, replicating original without being too flashy. I have spend a lot of time/actually years/ to duplicate the original "look" on carbs. I see persons that Way-over do the "flashy", and it looks phony. So kudos to You. Need anything Let Me Know, Clay

VM26 Year Identification 04 Sep 2019 20:02 #810380

• asphalt900
  • User
Got You covered for another set if You want to complete, I have several sets already done. Make me a specific list and i'll "try" to fill it.

VM26 Year Identification 13 Oct 2019 19:45 #812395

• Sayonara
  • User
  • The faster the better
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello
I have the 1977 VM and has the mixture screw in front of the bowl, as far as I know is the mixture screw is in the front that control gas mix, if the screw is in the back on the side of the bodies are air mixture.
Correct me if I am wrong but your post says air mixture in the front of the bowl
I grew up riding and fixing all sort of small bike until I inherited A 1977 GS 750 when I was 16, that changed my life completely I love metric bike and I own a few fully working and have some projects.

Last edit: by Sayonara.

VM26 Year Identification 14 Oct 2019 05:22 #812408

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

Sayonara wrote: Hello
I have the 1977 VM and has the mixture screw in front of the bowl, as far as I know is the mixture screw is in the front that control gas mix, if the screw is in the back on the side of the bodies are air mixture.
Correct me if I am wrong but your post says air mixture in the front of the bowl

I've seen mixed verbiage between the service manual and parts fishe before so what to call the mixture adjustment screws can be confusing at times.

The pointy pilot screw that pokes up from the bottom of the carbs is the pilot fuel screw and it controls how much fuel air mixture enters the carb body at low speed and just off idle. These are typically set at 3/4 of a turn open. Open further and the mixture becomes richer.

The blunt tip pilot screws that are located on the side of the carb body are pilot air screws. They control how much air mixes with the fuel coming through the pilot jet. These are typically set at 1.5 turns open, and the further open they are the more lean the mixture becomes.

VM26 Year Identification 14 Oct 2019 15:47 #812458

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 366
Not sure if this will help you at all, but see the attached for some info on the stock carbs.
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

• Page: