Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Homemade Fuel Tees 18 Jul 2019 05:01 #807710

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 606

asphalt900 wrote: ... I o-ring the bowls of the mikuni VM's ...

How do you O-ring the rounded-square VM28 bodies/bowls and seal around the starter jet well at the same time? Pics of examples, please?

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Homemade Fuel Tees 18 Jul 2019 05:48 #807715

• asphalt900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 167
Easy peezy, here are some from a set of Early KZ1000 carbs and a Z. Just follow the casting bump imprint left on the old gasket as a templet for positioning of o-ring. Bowl surface has to be CLEAN for the superglue to stick. O-ring does not compromise the height of overflow tube and choke hole doesn't really have to be fully covered. The choke has it's "air correction" built into roof of carb body. I cut at a 45deg. on the mating points of o-ring.

Homemade Fuel Tees 18 Jul 2019 06:02 #807716

• asphalt900
  • User
Oh forgot to mention. Where Keihin DID use a flat rubber float bowl gasket this trick is even easier because of the lack of choke enrichners, choke plates used instead. CB160's benefit from this "pinch point" of an o-ring because the carbs are canted forward. CB450 and numerous others. Flat on flat on flat doesn't seal very well.

Homemade Fuel Tees 18 Jul 2019 11:19 #807733

• asphalt900
  • User
Ness here is an example on a completed set of the earliest ribless carbs with all the mods I have mentioned. Fuel tees, o-ringed bowls, professionally re-plated metal bits(not some Eastwood/Caswell or homebrew kit), etc. etc. etc. I trust in what I do ONLY because it has proven it's self over and over and over again. I know first attempts at anything can/will require re-thinking, back to the drawing board kinda thing, these concepts Work.
Attachments:

Homemade Fuel Tees 18 Jul 2019 13:37 #807747

• Nessism
  • Nessism's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2680
Asphalt, how do you control o-ring crush on the float bowl without a groove on the bowl?

Homemade Fuel Tees 18 Jul 2019 15:37 #807763

• asphalt900
  • User
I was waiting for that Question!!! By feel. You "should" be using screws with split keepers, A lot of what I see are persons using allen head ss screws, super bad idea. In addition the threads of the cheap M4 screws are cut not roll formed. Using the allens screws gives you a torque advantage that was never intended, plus "my opinion" it makes them look crappy. The split keeper on a captured panhead JIS phillips keeps them from backing out. Too many people Ham-Fist the screws under the assumption that the harder they torque the better seal they will get, Wrong Wrong Wrong. This is the reason a lot of the carb castings are bowed today.

Homemade Fuel Tees 18 Jul 2019 16:05 #807764

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

asphalt900 wrote: I was waiting for that Question!!! By feel. You "should" be using screws with split keepers, A lot of what I see are persons using allen head ss screws, super bad idea. In addition the threads of the cheap M4 screws are cut not roll formed. Using the allens screws gives you a torque advantage that was never intended, plus "my opinion" it makes them look crappy. The split keeper on a captured panhead JIS phillips keeps them from backing out. Too many people Ham-Fist the screws under the assumption that the harder they torque the better seal they will get, Wrong Wrong Wrong. This is the reason a lot of the carb castings are bowed today.

The Keihin carbs use an O-ring channel and one piece O-ring. You tighten up the float bowl screws until the float bowl bottoms against the carb, and the O-ring is captured in the groove providing the seal. With your approach there is nothing keeping the O-ring from squirming out of position, plus the split in your O-ring can open up. Sorry man, but BAD idea.

Here are photos of a couple sets of carbs I restored. I replate the hardware myself and glass bead blast the bodies.

Last edit: by Nessism.

Homemade Fuel Tees 18 Jul 2019 16:12 #807765

• asphalt900
  • User
I understand your concerns. That's why this is called a forum. But I have been doing the exact same thing for over 10yrs???

Homemade Fuel Tees 18 Jul 2019 16:14 #807767

• asphalt900
  • User
Just a quick Q. How do you yellow chromate at your house?

Homemade Fuel Tees 18 Jul 2019 16:19 #807769

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
My point of view is related to my experience as a quality engineer working for a major automotive OEM, including 8 years at an assembly plant. I've seen multiple times where a single piece of hair or fiber from a cloth glove was laying across a fuel system O-ring causing a leak path. Of course a car's fuel system is under pressure but still. I don't like messing with gas.

Homemade Fuel Tees 18 Jul 2019 16:21 #807770

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

asphalt900 wrote: Just a quick Q. How do you yellow chromate at your house?

I've got a Caswell's kit and they sell various chromate dips. Blue is for silver parts, yellow, and a black. The yellow/black coloring isn't super durable against abrasion, but the plating itself is pretty good if you prep the metal well.

Homemade Fuel Tees 18 Jul 2019 16:42 #807774

• asphalt900
  • User
You are absolutely correct about problems occurring at any level, these are machines, they are infallible. The opinions I express are just that, my experiences. We will leave it at that, OK. Not here to compete, just share. Good luck with Your sales!! Clay