Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Help Rejetting Carbs on 83' Kz550f Spectre 24 Mar 2019 23:50 #800992

• Chriss614
  • Chriss614's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I am working on an 83' Kz 550f Spectre that I picked up cheap and plan on completely gutting and restoring. However, the guy I bought it from had pods on there and did not have the OEM airbox, it also has a 4-to-1 exhaust system on it. I like the pods so I'd like to keep them. Obviously the carbs need to be rejetted so I was hoping someone could tell me what Jets I should change or shim and what sizes I should go to. Also, I need to know where to get to buy the jets. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help Rejetting Carbs on 83' Kz550f Spectre 25 Mar 2019 00:12 #800993

• kevski
  • User
  • Thank you received: 154
I cannot say where you will get jets, but i will say if you have C.V carbs, with pods you will never have it running properly regardless of what anyone says, you would be far better off sourcing an original air box.

Last edit: by kevski.

Help Rejetting Carbs on 83' Kz550f Spectre 25 Mar 2019 08:34 #801010

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
You can get them to run right, but it will take some effort and research. I've jetted a few CV that ran as good as with an airbox, but it didn't happen overnight.

I haven't done a lot with your exact carbs, but here is a site with some basic info. It's not related to jetting for pods, but could be relevant to other things related to your carbs. Your carbs (CV TK26) are similar to the ones on the 82-83 gpz which also use CV TK26, but a different variant with an intermediate circuit.

s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/TK26mainPage/TK26mainPage.html

That site links to this page which has some info on your jets.
s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/TK26mainPage/TK26jets/TK26jets.html

Be aware, the Teikei TK26 carbs on Kawasaki 550's came in three versions. The 82-83 gpz version, the standard chain-drive version, and the shaft-drive version. I think the shaft-drive versions may have even come in different colors (possibly black and silver). The chain-drive version differs from the standard chain-drive in jet sizing.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Help Rejetting Carbs on 83' Kz550f Spectre 27 Mar 2019 08:19 #801117

• Chriss614
  • User
I'm still debating what I should do. If I do decide to go back to stock airbox, what other models/years use an airbox that would work for my carbs?

Help Rejetting Carbs on 83' Kz550f Spectre 27 Mar 2019 09:56 #801127

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

Chriss614 wrote: I'm still debating what I should do. If I do decide to go back to stock airbox, what other models/years use an airbox that would work for my carbs?

Your carbs, at least, are the simpler version of the Tk26. You don't have to deal with the intermediate jet or the pilot jet cap, both of which are a pain on the Gpz version. The Gpz version, though, has a Dynojet kit for using pods and it works pretty well. Your jetting will be very different from the Gpz version because of the elimination of the intermediate circuit and the pilot cap, but maybe the needles from the Dynojet kit would work for you.
Here's a link to the kit info:
s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/TK26mainPage/TK26jetKit/TK26jetKit.html

I avoid drilling the slides since it's difficult to go back if you do. Drilling them makes them open faster when getting ham-fisted, but I don't think it's necessary to run properly.

The airbox would be the simplest route, if you can deal with installing the carbs with it in place.

I think your airbox should be similar (if not identical) to the 1983 Kz550M1 (Shaft-Ltd) and 1984 Kz550F2 (Shaft-Ltd).
There is a very small chance the one from a 1983 Kz550A4 (Standard) might work.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Help Rejetting Carbs on 83' Kz550f Spectre 29 Mar 2019 10:23 #801236

• Chriss614
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationWould this airbox work on my bike?

The following user(s) said Thank You: kevski

Help Rejetting Carbs on 83' Kz550f Spectre 29 Mar 2019 13:45 #801248

• kevski
  • User
  • Thank you received: 154
Looks like it will but you really need to get the whole lot.

Help Rejetting Carbs on 83' Kz550f Spectre 30 Mar 2019 14:50 #801300

• Chriss614
  • User
I know, the same seller has the other piece that holds the the air filter in it posted as well. I managed to talk him into sending me both of them for $140. Not a Great price but they don't make the parts anymore so I just have to suck it up.

• Page: