Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to set up gas lines on a 1981 kz1000 k 17 Sep 2018 17:37 #791057

• Dbussino
  • Dbussino's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I recently got a 1981 kz1000 k bobber on a trade its a non running bike but i cleaned and rebuilt the carb but i dont think the line coming from the tank to the carbs are right can anyone tell me how they are supposed to be. The why they are set now if you are sitting on the bike the far left being one and the far right being 4. One has one ling running to it and 2 has no line but instead a black cap over the nippel and 3&4 share a line with a t ine the gas line it doesnt make sense to me to run them this way but thats how it came any help or picture would be very much appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to set up gas lines on a 1981 kz1000 k 17 Sep 2018 17:53 #791059

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2053
FIrst of all, welcome to the forum.
Second of all, please download the factory service manual for your motorcycle. You can find a link to it under the Articles tab above.
There is only one fuel line on a 1981 KZ1000. It goes from the larger tube on the petcock (the fuel valve on the bottom of the fuel tank) to the same size tube down low between carbs 2 & 3.
The smaller tube on the petcock, assuming the factory one is still in place, is a vacuum port that is usually connected to the vacuum port on the second carb.
The vacuum ports on carbs one and four are usually joined to a single tube that connects to the vacuum valve in the clean air system. If the system has been removed or disabled, the vacuum ports on those carbs can be capped.
The vacuum port on carb three is usually capped.
The carbs may also have hoses connected to the bowl overflow ports. These usually are routed over the trans case and down toward the ground in front of the swingarm pivot.

Since the bike was bobbed by somebody else, there is no telling what may have been done. Some pics of the carbs may help us sort this out.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

How to set up gas lines on a 1981 kz1000 k 18 Sep 2018 18:21 #791110

• Dbussino
  • Dbussino's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
First photo is how its setup now and how i got it second is a video of someone talking about the carbs
Attachments:

How to set up gas lines on a 1981 kz1000 k 19 Sep 2018 07:34 #791130

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
The cylinders, carburetors, etc are numbered 1-2-3-4 .Left-to-Right .as you're sitting on the motorcycle, so #3 has the rubber plug.

The usual configuration is #1 & #4 have the smaller vacuum lines w a small Tee for the Kawasaki clean air system.
#3 has the rubber plug. #2 has a vacuum line routed to the port on the square diaphragm cover of the vacuum petcock.
The vacuum ports are usually smaller than the fuel ports. I use 1/4" tubing for the vac lines & 5/16" fuel line tubing.
The fuel Tee is between the #2 & #3 carburetors.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

How to set up gas lines on a 1981 kz1000 k 19 Sep 2018 08:14 #791133

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
They look right. The fuel, as others pointed out goes into a "T" between carb 2-3. The vac hose on mine was and still is on carbs 2-4. The vac lines went to a and emission hose EGR setup, which is probably no longer on the bike,

You know the mindset.. if it is for something like emissions, it has to GO! :-) God knows what people do to these poor bikes, while "personalizing" them.

There are *.pdf files of the OEM service manual on KzRider that is well worth the time to just surf through while soaking up all of the info you can.

#1 vac port goes to the petcock, 2&4 go to the EGR valve, and #3 is capped. (numbered right to left)
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:

Last edit: by old_kaw.
  • Page: