Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ebay petcock OEM for KZ750 1982 LTD. BE AWARE 20 Mar 2018 19:15 #780533

• Tesk
  • Tesk's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey I just recently bought a petcock since mine was leaking and the one I decided was this one

Little did I know the base of this petcock is small. Not like the original at all.
If you see yourself involved in this problem you can cancel out your float for the gas and put this SMALL petcock in here since it fits perfectly . The other hole you can just weld it. DO NOT USE JB WELD-WATER It will help you for a couple of weeks but at the end gasoline eats the material and you will be riding with a bomb between your legs lol

The correct one is this one

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Tesk.

Ebay petcock OEM for KZ750 1982 LTD. BE AWARE 20 Mar 2018 19:48 #780537

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
Did you measure your mounting hole spacing before ordering?
Your tank's bolt-hole spacing is probably 44 mm, and the aftermarket petcock is probably 34 mm.
Those are the two most common measurements.

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

Ebay petcock OEM for KZ750 1982 LTD. BE AWARE 20 Mar 2018 22:42 #780545

• Tesk
  • User
The problem is that this OEM petcock is announced as LTD 1982 kz 750 H, the exact same model as mine. So I didnt hesitate on ordering it, if you can see it looks alike so I just bought it right away. But it doesnt fit on the model they advertise

Ebay petcock OEM for KZ750 1982 LTD. BE AWARE 21 Mar 2018 05:53 #780553

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
Some EB sellers don't know what fits what. It's a part for a 35+ year old motorcycle, so you can't depend upon them to know for certain.
Do you have a link to the item or an item number? Did you contact the seller or was the chinese part so cheap that it isn't worth the trouble?

The problem could be with the cross-reference they're using. I don't know about your bike, but on mine there are 2 petcocks shown in the diagrams & the x-ref for compatible models seems to lump them all together, when in fact they are different & not interchangeable. In my case the problem arises because the 81 & 82 models share the same diagrams, so a guy has to understand that just because there are 2 petcocks listed, that doesn't mean they fit either model. One is 34mm & fits the 81, but the other is 44 mm which fits the 82.

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

Ebay petcock OEM for KZ750 1982 LTD. BE AWARE 21 Mar 2018 09:15 #780559

• hookemdevils22
  • User
I very nearly ordered that exact same eBay petock, but opted to attempt a rebuild instead; I'm glad I went that route now. My only issue is a lack of filter availability - mine was sitting for so long that the gas gummed everything up; I was able to blow out all the passages in the petcock, but can't find a replacement filter.

Ebay petcock OEM for KZ750 1982 LTD. BE AWARE 21 Mar 2018 09:41 #780560

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067

Tesk wrote: if you can see it looks alike so I just bought it right away. But it doesnt fit on the model they advertise

Maybe I am just old and going blind, but those two petcocks do not look at all the same to me. The vacuum and fuel tubes are oriented in completely different directions, what can be seen of the selector lever looks quite different, and one has a big drain screw, while the other does not. Also, the space between the mounting hole and the petcock body is also different.
Evenso, as mentioned above, many eBay sellers are far more interested in getting people's money than in selling what people need or want.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

Ebay petcock OEM for KZ750 1982 LTD. BE AWARE 21 Mar 2018 18:28 #780590

• Tesk
  • User
There is some good OEM filters that you put betweenpetcock and carburetor. Here is one

Ebay petcock OEM for KZ750 1982 LTD. BE AWARE 21 Mar 2018 18:30 #780591

• Tesk
  • User
I know but they adversite that it fits KZ 750 ltd and it didnt. Thats the issue I found and wanted to tell all of you so it doesnt happen to anyone of you

Last edit: by Tesk.

Ebay petcock OEM for KZ750 1982 LTD. BE AWARE 14 Apr 2018 09:13 #781793

• Shdwdrgn
  • User
  • Thank you received: 24

hookemdevils22 wrote: I very nearly ordered that exact same eBay petock, but opted to attempt a rebuild instead; I'm glad I went that route now. My only issue is a lack of filter availability - mine was sitting for so long that the gas gummed everything up; I was able to blow out all the passages in the petcock, but can't find a replacement filter.

I was also looking at that petcock this week, which is listed as a direct replacement for my bike as well - a 1981 KZ1000J. Like you I opted for the rebuild kit because this petcock just didn't look right and was listed as compatible for way too many models for me to believe the hype. However like you I am still trying to find a replacement for the petcock filter (I'm using an inline filter in the meantime).

Something I noticed in the parts diagrams -- the filter does not seem to have its own part number? I don't suppose anyone happens to know if there IS a part number for this?
1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

• Page: