Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bike starts on ether.... 13 Jul 2017 17:25 #766872

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2680
Don't bother with a compression test until you adjust the valves and put some miles on the bike. The valves tighten with mileage and many people neglect them. And a good ol Italian tune up does wonders for bikes that have sat around for some time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bike starts on ether.... 21 Jul 2017 07:54 #767427

• Joinville
  • Joinville's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Bought my kz for $250, best decision of my life
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys, haven't updated in a while as work has been crazy busy and I've also been doing a lot of work on my girlfriends 1975 f7 175 (which ran like a beaut until my friend tried making a carb case gasket out of aluminum foil without my knowledge. He started it and sucked some shit into the engine and it seized.) Mind you, my gf hadn't even ridden the damn thing before my friend blew it up so I've been taking that apart and diagnosing as I go, (so far, cylinder wall seems good, rings weren't fused and I got the piston to move, a few inches (gently and after i got it to move, I just soaked it with more marvel and let it sit) which is good, but I definitely found some aluminum SHARDS in the oil...I'm thinking it's pieces of a bearing. I'll probably end up crackin' some cases saturday/sunday)

Anyways,now that Ive vented, I confirmed I have a kz650 c3 by checking the stamping near the forks. Seller purchased the 1979 model in 1980. I took apart the carbs for an additional cleaning, taking them off the rack, keeping everything in order. I purchased new o-rings from Robert Barr and will be completing assembly tonight. I have a new air filter and fuel filter on the way as well as a carb rebuild kit just in case. I was able to locate carb intake boots, but can not find boots for the air box to the carbs (Z1 enterprises is sold out and literally the only listing on eBay is $160.00 US for the set -.-). So if any of you fellers have decent to like new condition airbox to carb boots lying around, PM me and maybe we can make a deal. Other than that not much has changed, though I'll be damned if I don't have this thing ready for an Italian tune-up by tomorrow night.
Knowledge is Power

79 KZ650C3 - RUNNING! (7-23-2017) 8819 miles
1999 v6 5spd Camry 179009 miles

Bike starts on ether.... 22 Jul 2017 00:04 #767472

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 111
Vacuum ports on the carb mounts should be plugged.
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

Bike starts on ether.... 22 Jul 2017 16:19 #767505

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1903
Air box to carb boots.

outer boots, 9,50 EUR

z-fever.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p8...-aussen-1stueck.html

inner boots, 6,95 EUR

z-fever.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p8...r-innen-1stueck.html

BTW: i was today in his shop and buy some parts for my project bike.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, Joinville

Bike starts on ether.... 23 Jul 2017 17:06 #767562

• Joinville
  • Joinville's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Bought my kz for $250, best decision of my life
  • Thank you received: 0
Well gents,

It looks like there's another kz650 brought back to life and on the road! I finished assembling the carbs Saturday afternoon, using a 1.5mm allen wrench as a base for syncing the carbs. Fitted them today as well as all new fuel lines and an in-line stone fuel filter. At first the bike didnt want to run without the choke and pipe 3 wasn't getting warm, but I let the bike idle to the point where the choke killed it . After that, bike started, idled no problem (at 1500rpm, a lil too high still) and was taken for an italian tune-up. Throttle response is instant, the bike shifts smooth through all gears and can get up to 50 mph no problem and is...fun. The damn bike is just so much FUN! So for now consider this thread a "case closed" and stay tuned for the next thread for when I need to pick some more brains >:D Scirocco thank you for the links, I can't believe how cheap those boots are, though the shipping will have me reeling in pain haha Thanks again to all who commented on this thread, this was the best 250 bucks I've ever spent. Here's a pic of her the day I picked her up
Knowledge is Power

79 KZ650C3 - RUNNING! (7-23-2017) 8819 miles
1999 v6 5spd Camry 179009 miles
Attachments:

• Page: