• Page:

TOPIC:

Carb swap? 18 Jan 2016 11:45 #707165

• Wyliecoyote
  • Wyliecoyote's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok I'm wanting to put 1978 carb rack on my 1977 kz1000 26 mikuniis on both,

I believe the only difference that I see is the 78 had the vent tube from the fuel tap to carb 3 vent tube. Can I just cap the carb 3 vent tube? With out any performance issues? I added pics the petcock is the 78 tank which I don't want to use. I want to keep my matching body set the 77 has only the two outlets for gas on the pet cock. The carb pic is the 78 carb rack the carb 3 vent tube is uncapped one. Thx in advance..

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carb swap? 19 Jan 2016 19:27 #707338

• Nelson
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
I'm pretty sure you can cap that. Wouldn't hurt anything to try it anyway.
Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wyliecoyote

Carb swap? 19 Jan 2016 19:50 #707340

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
There are usually two vent nipples that serve all four float bowls.

Some 4-carb sets have a fifth separate vacuum nipple to serve a vacuum-operated petcock.
If the vacuum-operated petcock is replaced with a manual petcock (not requiring vacuum), the nipple should be capped/plugged, same as the other four vacuum nipples on the carb holders (that are used for carb syncing).

An unused vacuum nipple should always be capped/plugged during normal operation.

With engine running, be sure there's not an open vacuum nipple.

In the following example, the green line points to a vacuum nipple that should be capped/plugged unless it has a hose to a vacuum-operated petcock.

Absent vacuum being supplied, a vacuum-operated petcock is not supposed to flow any fuel in ON/RUN or REServe positions.

A vacuum-operated petcock is supposed to always flow fuel in PRIme position (which doesn't need vacuum).

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wyliecoyote

Last edit: by Patton.

Carb swap? 20 Jan 2016 14:15 #707419

• Wyliecoyote
  • Wyliecoyote's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
K thanks for that. I'm gonna have to put new gaskets on the 2 inlet tees. I put the rack on and they were leaking a lot actually the 3/4 t was leaking worse than the 1/2 t. They were both very loose on the bench. Amazingly the bike started and even held a good idle and even the throttle response was pretty crisp. I looked on eBay but I'm guessing z1 for the o rings..thx again

Last edit: by Wyliecoyote. Reason: Spelling

Carb swap? 20 Jan 2016 16:53 #707449

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
The fuel intake tee's are also known as fuel pipe joints, and are listed at Z1E:
Click here > www.z1enterprises.com/product/16046-002

Sometimes, dry joints will leak when once again exposed to fuel, but soon "swell" up enough to stop leaking.

It's also possible to wrap some teflon tape around the raised ridges to tighten the connection and stop the leaking.
Reportedly, the yellow teflon tape tolerates gasoline slightly better than does the white teflon tape, but either color should work okay.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Carb swap? 20 Jan 2016 16:58 #707451

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
The yellow tape is used on natural and LP gas connections. It can be found at Depot or other like places.
Steve

• Page: