• Page:

TOPIC:

Cleaned Jets....New Problem 18 Jun 2006 08:36 #55269

• DanAir
  • DanAir's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
1981 KZ750E 13,000 miles.

As you can see, my scooter sits for long periods of time even though I love to ride it. The carbs get clogged up and they have to be cleaned out. Since my mechanic has left the USA, I removed the carbs and cleaned out the jets myself. (Those rubber ducts from the carbs to the filter plenum were a REAL JOY!)

Now that it's back together,
I have a new problem: When I crack the throttle open momentarily, the revs go up and want to stay up rather than falling quickly back to idle.

I did not drill out the jets nor change anything other than the mixture screws (top front).

What is the procedure for setting the mixture, throttle cable and adj. knob? THANK YOU !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cleaned Jets....New Problem 18 Jun 2006 09:30 #55285

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 432
If you have the stock Keihin carbs and it sound like you have along with the stock airbox then the stock setting on the mixture screw is 2 turns out from fully seated.

The throttle cable schould be adjusted at the carb end so that you have about 1/4" free play when the throttle is fully off/ released.

If your rpm dont want to come down then I wonder if your cable is sticking (oil the cable) or if you got an air leak around the rubber boots which connect the carbs to the cylinder head. Did you make sure the carbs were seated properly when you put them back on ? I've never had to do it myself but have read here that with the engine running you can spray carb cleaner around the rubber boots and if the rpm increases then you have an air leak.
Good luck.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Cleaned Jets....New Problem 19 Jun 2006 06:26 #55462

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Were you aware there are little bitty metal washers and little bitty orings under those mixture screws? Did you change these out when you removed the mixture screws?
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Cleaned Jets....New Problem 21 Jun 2006 10:35 #56016

• DanAir
  • DanAir's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks JR and Wiredgeorge for the info.

Checking for air leaks...loostening throttle cable...
set mix at two turns...did not remove mix screws---
should I have removed mix screws? DanAir 81 KZ750E

• Page: